Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, what is everyone doing about their fixed tariffs coming to an end?

I've been on EDF Go Electric Nov 21 and this comes to an end this month, I've been paying about 20p day time and 8p evenings and weekends so I've always been charging the I-Pace at 8p per unit.

I'm not sure what happens next - am I best off allowing them to move me to their SVT and be protected by the price caps? This is what the Octopus website is telling me. EDF aren't making it easy to compare - I've searched but can't find what their SVT actually is so have no idea what I'm going to be paying if I sit tight. Quotes for switches are just silly money at the moment.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am in exactly the same position - with the EDF EV tariff that expires at the end of the month. So I have been trying to find out the numbers of the "Standard Variable" tariff. No help on the EDF site (no surprise there!) but also nothing on the 'net other than the average annual figure is around £1,300 PA. Anyone know where the charges per KWH are published for Gas and Electricity? All the searching on the internet just comes up with price comparison sites and they are the people who encouraged Joe Public to sign up with all the pretend energy suppliers who are now going out of business because they are not energy companies but traders in financial derivatives....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am in exactly the same position - with the EDF EV tariff that expires at the end of the month. So I have been trying to find out the numbers of the "Standard Variable" tariff. No help on the EDF site (no surprise there!) but also nothing on the 'net other than the average annual figure is around £1,300 PA. Anyone know where the charges per KWH are published for Gas and Electricity? All the searching on the internet just comes up with price comparison sites and they are the people who encouraged Joe Public to sign up with all the pretend energy suppliers who are now going out of business because they are not energy companies but traders in financial derivatives....
I am also with EDF, about two weeks before mine was due to expire they sent me a list of options for my electric car. I am now on “GoElectric 98 Aug23” which is 98 hours per week at the cheaper rate expiring in August 23, if you couldn’t guess.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I changed to Octopus Go in August, just asked for an off peak EV charging tarrif, it was around 5p kw then, probably different now for a new contract. I’m sure others also do EV charging tariffs if you ask.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Purple Violet Font Material property Magenta
I'm still on Octopus Go tariff and it looks to have changed a bit. Still have the 5P night tariff. If interested and you want to switch the share the love. share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm on the EDF EV tariff until Jan 2022. I kinda like the all weekend being cheap rate. I've gone the whole hog and installed a HeatPump and 32kW of Battery. I can run the heating all day from the battery. Around £1 per day to run the house. A forthcoming software update to the Battery system will allow me to charge the I-Pace during the day at weekends without depleting the battery.
Before you switch tariffs it is a very good idea to get a time profile of what uses power and when for your home. Then you can choose the best tariff that fits your usage profile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've gone the whole hog and installed a HeatPump and 32kW of Battery. I can run the heating all day from the battery. Around £1 per day to run the house. A forthcoming software update to the Battery system will allow me to charge the I-Pace during the day at weekends without depleting the battery.
What battery did you use and presumably its an air source heat pump that you are using Sammy? I have solar panels going in soon which will power up the EV for free but not having a battery option at the moment. Does a battery really save you that much money then - given that it will have to recharge itself presumably at night? I am trying to understand getting the balance right between solar and mains and battery to get the best out of the electric resources for the EV.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
View attachment 7000 I'm still on Octopus Go tariff and it looks to have changed a bit. Still have the 5P night tariff. If interested and you want to switch the share the love. share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197
Wow I pay 13p peak right now,scary

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What battery did you use and presumably its an air source heat pump that you are using Sammy? I have solar panels going in soon which will power up the EV for free but not having a battery option at the moment. Does a battery really save you that much money then - given that it will have to recharge itself presumably at night? I am trying to understand getting the balance right between solar and mains and battery to get the best out of the electric resources for the EV.
I have a Midea Heat Pump (air source) and GivEnergy Batteries. The batteries charge overnight (familiar eh?) and they run the house during the day. At the moment, the GivEnergy software leaves a lot to be desired but there is a team working on a whole raft of improvements. There is a beta version of the dashboard that gets updated every week. It is good to see progress being made.
It isn't so much about saving money. Yes, the HP and batteries are a cost but they are an asset to the house. When I come to sell it, I'll make my money back. What is important to me is being able to heat the house all day (I'm retired) and not burn fossil fuel in the process. My gas bill last January was close to £100.00. My heating bill for the last six weeks is £16.76. This week has been reasonably cold with frosts. So far, I've spent £4.50 this month on heating. That is under half the cost of gas. I have had solar since 2016. Only 1.8kW but it does work.
Make sure that your EV charger can monitor the Solar output and send it all to the car when needed. However, with batteries, that is less of an issue. I've done some experimentation and have decided to let the sun charge the batteries and use the cheap overnight rates to fill up the car. I hope that this helps.

Reactions: arnsbrae

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting - thanks for that info. MY balance would be solar panels for the daytime running house and charging batterty wherever possible then using battery to run house from dusk to dawn. Except I haven't got a battery yet. Nor an I-Pace but that should be rectified in January! Nor indeed have I got solar panels yet ... but that should be rectified next week :D Then we'll see how they are used for a while before getting teh I-Pace and then deciding on a battery. All good fun!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've just been transferred to EDF and can't get a smart meter, presumably because I have a 3 phase supply, does that prevent me from getting the lower night tarrif?

·
Registered
160 Posts
View attachment 7000 I'm still on Octopus Go tariff and it looks to have changed a bit. Still have the 5P night tariff. If interested and you want to switch the share the love. share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197
Update.
After reading your entries after mine, I took another look at my account. Not sure where I go the first screen shot from but it was wrong. Not 24p for day rate but 14.12p. and 5p for the overnight charging :) Colorfulness Purple Font Screenshot Parallel

Colorfulness Purple Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
684 Posts
Today mine says 15.64p day cost but I can’t check that because I havn’t had a bill generated since July I guess the computer is busy sorting out Avro customers. It’s a bit irritating because although I’m still making monthly payments I have no idea wether it’s correct

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Octopus don't seem to be accepting new customers without a phone call to check they wouldn't be better off staying with their current provider with the price cap.

I just received my letter from EDF today: If I don't change, then the standard variable with price cap applies 24.13p day and 12.8p night (I don't know if this means evenings and weekends too). Alternatively I can take out a new fixed rate with them 36.98p day and 16.75p night. Bargain :unsure:

I can live with the price capped version until energy hopefully sorts itself out again in the new year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've just stayed on my SSE tariff for now, on their standard rate. Cheaper than switching to even Octopus at the moment as all the fixed tariffs seems to have gone crazy right now. I'm on Economy 10 and pay 21p and 15p depending on time of day, with 10 hours per day being at 15p.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Update.
After reading your entries after mine, I took another look at my account. Not sure where I go the first screen shot from but it was wrong. Not 24p for day rate but 14.12p. and 5p for the overnight charging :) View attachment 7026
View attachment 7026
I'm on the same tariff with Octopus and I think that the 24p is your daily service charge.
I checked against other suppliers tariffs just before the energy went crazy and I found it was still the best one for me (charging overnight every night), so I can't imagine what it would be if I were to change supplier right now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts