Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

In an unusual break with my life long tradition, I read the user manual for my car! One of the things it says (contrary to what the dealer told me) is that a weekly check should be carried out of the battery coolant, the brake fluid and the motor coolant.

Is that really the case? It seems illogical that a high-end car should require these checks under the bonnet. This is especially the case because such checks cannot be carried out without using a screwdriver to undo various plastic covers to reveal the reservoirs. I have no desire nor skill at all to lift a screwdriver, and feel rather confused by this. It is almost an oxymoron to have a high-end car with more electric gadgets that NASA used to get to the moon, but you still have to unscrew things and check fluid levels every week. Surely a warning will come up in the dashboard if these levels get low?

I am sure it must be wrong and that I have misunderstood,

Could you please clarify for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Jilf said:
Hi

In an unusual break with my life long tradition, I read the user manual for my car! One of the things it says (contrary to what the dealer told me) is that a weekly check should be carried out of the battery coolant, the brake fluid and the motor coolant.

Is that really the case? It seems illogical that a high-end car should require these checks under the bonnet. This is especially the case because such checks cannot be carried out without using a screwdriver to undo various plastic covers to reveal the reservoirs. I have no desire nor skill at all to lift a screwdriver, and feel rather confused by this. It is almost an oxymoron to have a high-end car with more electric gadgets that NASA used to get to the moon, but you still have to unscrew things and check fluid levels every week. Surely a warning will come up in the dashboard if these levels get low?

I am sure it must be wrong and that I have misunderstood,

Could you please clarify for me?

Thanks
:eek: are there liquids to be checked??? Besides windscreen fluid I thought none were applicable for a BEV - my dealer ONLY showed me the windscreen fluid and I couldn't find any others under the bonnet unlike like you described you use a screwdriver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely right. But the manual is very specific and goes into great length that these levels must be checked weekly. To do so you have to take the bonnet apart.

It's all a bit bizarre and I do hope Jaguar's people can shed some light!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting post on handover our dealer lifted the front bonnet and specifically showed us the windscreen washer saying thats the only fluid on the car .... I will ask when I call into Jaguar this week

·
Registered
528 Posts
ipace MK said:
Interesting post on handover our dealer lifted the front bonnet and specifically showed us the windscreen washer saying thats the only fluid on the car .... I will ask when I call into Jaguar this week
should we believe the dealers or the handbook ?

The stories on this forum are not very complementary about most of the dealers' knowledge of the vehicle; I'm pretty sure that the people writing the user manual would have some idea what they are talking about......

----------
And referring to the preceding post about "criticality"...... here's the "wording" in the online manual:

RUNNING-IN
Follow the instructions below:
Check the coolant level weekly, as it is critical for effective system performance and component durability.
Check regularly if the system detects over temperature.

WEEKLY CHECKS
Coolant level.
Brake fluid level.
Screen washer fluid level.
Tyre pressures and condition.
Operate the Air Conditioning (A/C).

IMO it's probably common sense to check during the initial run-in period, same as any new car really....
-> After that the "Weekly Checks" does NOT say it is is "critical to perform the check weekly", during run-in it only says the coolant is "critical for effective performance" (that is something quite different to a "critical check"). Same as on an ICE, just common sense to be a bit vigilant during initial period of ownership, Weekly seems reasonable.
-> And same as on an ICE, some people check their tyre pressures, brake fluid & coolant levels weekly during ownership, but most don't. Just a standard manufacturers handbook.
YMMV

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When I took the car my dealer told me not to remove the plastic under the bonnet... It's strange that if you've to check it every weeks they put it under screwed plastic parts .
I prefer not to touch that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Tophe74 said:
When I took the car my dealer told me not to remove the plastic under the bonnet... It's strange that if you've to check it every weeks they put it under screwed plastic parts .
EDIT: I see that brake fluid and coolant is under the "top cover" at the rear of the front boot (near the wiper motors), and is released with a very simple push on 3 clips. You don't have to remove the side covers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Billy Bunter said:
Tophe74 said:
EDIT: I see that brake fluid and coolant is under the "top cover" at the rear of the front boot (near the wiper motors), and is released with a very simple push on 3 clips (I don't think there are screws, the top cover is released via 1/4 turn plastic turnbuckles.
You don't have to remove the side covers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Brake system is not different than on regular car. I have not checked that in years on my cars.. The manual instructions are written by lawyers to protect JLR.

Cooling system is the same, if you do not see puddles on the ground under the car, no reason to check. There are level sensors anyway, if level gets low, you will get a warning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with the people that say, if JLR wanted us to check the levels, they would have made them visible. I would be surprised if there were no warnings on the dashboard if the levels are low, and in that case i will just be off to the workshop to let the dealer sort it out.

It would be great of a representative of JLR can confirm?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I have now checked as carefully as I can...and these are the responses:

by sending a question to Jaguar through the web site I received a categoric response that the manual is indeed correct, aftera checking with the technical people

by asking the technicians at the dealership they simply said don't even try it

by asking the question at the Jaguer Experience Centre I was told no necessity to check because warning lights will come up for brake fluid and coolant loss (although I can find no reference to the latter) Something like 16 litres of coolant which might be obvious, but not necessarily.

Don't know where this takes us but it is an unresolved issue. Meanwhile I haven't checked anything over six months and 5500 mies.

What else is wrong in the manual?

·
Registered
130 Posts
veepom said:
Well I have now checked as carefully as I can...and these are the responses:

by sending a question to Jaguar through the web site I received a categoric response that the manual is indeed correct, aftera checking with the technical people

by asking the technicians at the deale8rship they simply said don't even try it

by asking the question at the Jaguer Experience Centre I was told no necessity to check because warning lights will come up for brake fluid and coolant loss (although I can find no reference to the latter) Something like 16 litres of coolant which might be obvious, but not necessarily.

Don't know where this takes us but it is an unresolved issue. Meanwhile I haven't checked anything over six months and 5500 mies.

What else is wrong in the manual?
In the WATTCAT App, in the Details section, there are informations about the filling status.Thanks to ardevd who build the app.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would typically check fluid level to look at any impending issues, but no way am I removing the covers weekly,
There are low fluid level warnings anyhow..

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Ingenioren said:
Download and use the WattCat app for this. It monitors brake level, coolant level, washer level , the battery voltage and the wheel pressure. Excellent for your weekly check :)
For those who don't use Google (or WattCat), the car will tell you if there is a problem. This is not 1960s Moskavic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chewy said:
Ingenioren said:
Download and use the WattCat app for this. It monitors brake level, coolant level, washer level , the battery voltage and the wheel pressure. Excellent for your weekly check :)
For those who don't use Google (or WattCat), the car will tell you if there is a problem. This is not 1960s Moskavic.
I know, but it's actually Jaguar that tell us to do so...

I prefer to do it manually so i can catch a dropping coolant level etc. and take action before it's to late. When the alarm goes in the car or WattCat you should not drive the car, at least I wouldn't, without actually checking the levels manually. Unfortunately, the brake fluid is not visible through the container, at least in my car, so you have to remove the cover to check.

But you need to know what and where to check. It's quite easy and the min and max levels is marked on the fluid containers. I do the checks ones a month or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.