Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, New to the forum today with a frustrating first post.
Supposed to pick new IPACE up today and had a call to say Jaguar have actioned a hold on all IPACE deliveries due to a fault.
Been told it is a half shaft issue at low speed (whatever that is). Has anyone got any further info on this?
I was so looking forward to driving it away from the dealer today.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Andy,
So sorry to read & can imagine the anticipation & now the frustration.
I have just queried above with my dealer who have a great relationship. Will revert.
Ps. Had my car for 4 weeks & no recall as yet!
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks nipri. It will be interesting to hear another dealer's feedback. My dealer was notified by JLR overnight and they hurried to call me before I set off to pick it up. As I write Jaguar have not given any further information regarding a fix. This might not be an easy fix as it relates to the half shaft and losing drive at low speed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My car is in the dealer garage to fix a boot issue , I spoke with him this afternoon and will get the IPACE back to morrow morning. He did not mention any other issue

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was due to pick my new i-pace up on Wednesday 24th.

The handover took place, however due to a problem with the Jaguar Global IT systems the car could not be taxed, so I could not drive it away. This problem has been fixed today 25th.

However I have now been told that I still cannot have my car because Jaguar have today put an embargo on any more handovers for an unknown time, for unspecified reasons.

So Andy Mb knows more than me.

Nothing I can do, that is life. I will get a loan car and just wait. I would rather have a wait than have a car that needs a quick recall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Tom, thanks for letting me know the situation with your delivery. Here is some information from my dealer... Jaguar put out a notice late yesterday afternoon informing all dealers that the new Jaguar I Pace within VIN range F60754 to F64441 a potential concern has been identified on specific vehicles within the aforementioned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) range.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JLR has a strange way of dealing with this kind of issues. In Topix ( the system where all the tech info for the the dealers is published ) there is a couple of different type of of bulletins. There is a section called " Field actions" where issues that are supposed to be fixed either if a customer complains about a certain issue or when the car is in the shop for whatever reason, seems to to be some kind of semi-recall, but as a customer isn't necessarily informed about it. Then there is a section called "special service message" where solutions to known problems are listed. The third section is called "technical bulletins" where there's a mix of concerns that are reported from the dealers is listed, some have solutions and some don't. Some of the issues are marked as UPS and they all contain a letter from the JLR technical manager telling the dealers to not release vehicles that have been sold before the issue has been fixed, the same applies to stock vehicles. But nothing about vehicles that have already been sold..... Among others there is a bulletin called H163 UPS 10918-2 regarding the hat shaft issue. Seems odd that something as serious as this only gets fixed either if you haven't had your car handed over or when the car actually breaks down. There are a couple of these bulletins that I'm going to discuss with my dealer tomorrow, not really interested in waiting for my car to break down before I get known issues and faults rectified on a one week old car.......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks AndyMb

Yes my VIN is within 200 of the end of the specified range. My car was built on 20 September. The TOPIX entry says "Halfshaft Disconnect At Low Speed"

I am disappointed not to get my car today, but I will be patient.

·
Registered
528 Posts
in case anybody doesn't know what a half-shaft is, it's the "axle" that comes out of the final transmission and effectively connects the engine to each driving wheel. It's called a half-shaft because there are 2 of them on each axle (left and right).
The half-shaft is usually splined into the final transmission and held in place with (for example) thrust washers and retained bearings.

Hard to imagine how this could happen, but a "half shaft disconnect at low speed" sounds like the half-shaft sliding out of its spline, so it sounds serious in that the car would probably grate to a halt. (coincidentally I had just this problem on an Audi S4 years ago !)

Complete speculation but It might be a relatively quick fix if, for example, it was simply a case that a number of cars left the factory with a fastening that wasnt properly torqued...., so there are no clues yet whether it's easy or difficult to fix.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just spoke with the technician of my dealer Broekhuis as I have a car within the VIN range and want to travel to Austria next week without problems. There is no need for any action yet. Within a couple of days it should become more clear if and when & what cars are involved and how to solve the issue (if there is one).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Marcom. You've accurately covered the the call with my dealer. He said it was a UPS that landed overnight Wednesday.
I'm concerned about the time this may require to fix and the lack of information that will ensue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did pick up my car with the beautiful red seats earlier today (they confirmed they will swap them in max 2 months).
Did ask about the potential axle issue bulletin, but they didn't get any info. My car is just in the last potential concerned VIN nbrs, so for now no issue.
Finger crossed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My car was built on 21st September, but didn't arrive at my dealer until late yesterday afternoon.

It's in the workshop right now, but handover won't be until 10am on Monday.

No mention of any halfshaft issues. My car was built the day after tomsurfer's and his VIN is only 200 from the end of the affected range, so it is possible mine might be clear of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Max69 said:
Did pick up my car with the beautiful red seats earlier today (they confirmed they will swap them in max 2 months).
Did ask about the potential axle issue bulletin, but they didn't get any info. My car is just in the last potential concerned VIN nbrs, so for now no issue.
Finger crossed.
Hi Max Just wondering why you had 'beautiful red seats' and you are swapping them?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Irons1966 said:
Max69 said:
Finger crossed.
Hi Max Just wondering why you had 'beautiful red seats' and you are swapping them?
search his posts......

·
Registered
29 Posts
My car is slap, in the middle of that Vin number range. I haven't had any notification, but I can imagine that and accumulation of issues will prompt a recall.

A couple of you guys seem to be able to get into TOPIX. I looked at the registration criteria and thought I didn't qualify. Are you guys in the business or are the terms pretty loose?

·
Registered
41 Posts
ccog

I found out from our Norwegian friends Forum (which google translates to English automatically). There is a great tips and tricks thread

https://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kj4ivur6gq560nrni854p7v3o0&topic=41839.0

- check out the third post - you just set up a TOPIX account as an "independent operator" and add the final bit of your VIN. It does not give full access without subscribing, but it is interesting enough without.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thought I already posted this, but my VIN is also in this range and I alreaday got my car (a week ago). Called the dealer and they said that no action is necessary. But they didn't know if my car was fixed already... made an appointment for the 100kW charging update next week. Will have them check again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts