Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got ipace two years ago then I think the cost of electricity per mile was around 25% of petrol ….. fast forward to now and I think it’s closer to 40% ? With a 50%(?) electricity charge increase set for autumn and the price of petrol potentially falling then could this price advantage be wiped out in the near future ?
my calculation-
Electricity = 90kwh * 0.1873p / 230 miles (range) = 7.3p per mile

Petrol = £1,60 / litre = £7.27/ gallon / 40(?) mpg = 18.2p per mile

electricity : petrol = 40%l

·
Registered
88 Posts
Currently on OctopusGo = 0.05p/Kwh 12.30am to 4.30am which is the only time I use it = circa 2p/mile (I think).
Rate at other times = 0.1293p/Kwh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just signed up for Octopus Go today. As long as the majority of charge is in the low tariff time (or on solar as we have too) then it still makes a huge amount of sense to go EV.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The decision to choose to go electric has many facets other than potential savings between the cost of fossil fuel and electricity. Loss of revenue due to less fuel tax income will inevitably have to be compensated for.
As the price difference between mobility based on fossil fuel and electricity narrows, the other beneficial effects will continue to be convincing arguments for acquiring an EV.
For those having access to adequate roof space, or a piece of land, a PV solar system combined with a V2G capable EV will also become a viable proposition to offset costs and secure a certain amount of autonomy while also stabilising the grid.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Every country is different. Here
Electricity : 90kwh * 0.04$ (per kw) / 400 (km) = 0.009$/km
Fuel: 2$(per l) * 8 (l/100) / 100 = 0.16$/km

Electricity is 5% of the cost of Fuel.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Loss of revenue due to less fuel tax income will inevitably have to be compensated for.
It is more complex that that:
  • The price of pollution on health and health system is gigantic. Less fuel means less particle in the air, means less pressure on health system, means less money to inject in the health system
  • The EV car cost a bit more that similar ICE car, so more tax when you buy the car
  • The savings we are doing on electricity are not hidden under our mattress. We use those savings to do something else : eat at the restaurant, go to the cinema, vacation at the hotel, etc... so we use that money differently, and we still pay taxes.

I would no worry too much on the tax loss.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is more complex that that:
  • The price of pollution on health and health system is gigantic. Less fuel means less particle in the air, means less pressure on health system, means less money to inject in the health system
Agreed, no brainer
  • The EV car cost a bit more that similar ICE car, so more tax when you buy the car

Many countries provide tax relief to purchase/lease the more expensive EV

• The savings we are doing on electricity are not hidden under our mattress. We use those savings to do something else : eat at the restaurant, go to the cinema, vacation at the hotel, etc... so we use that money differently, and we still pay taxes.
It depends what the money earned via the fuel tax revenue is used for.
Can you fund large infrastructure projects by increasing the frequency of visiting restaurants, hotels etc?

·
Registered
809 Posts
On long trips the cost of charging at 50p Kwh is more expensive than fuel in the UK if fuel was untaxed there would be even more difference. At present us early adopters have a good deal, especially if you can claim the company tax concessions.

As EVs become the majority it’s pretty certain road taxation will be applied, so maybe in 5 yrs it will start to be less attractive.

·
Registered
waiting for HSE caesium blue, bright pack, fully loaded without smoker's Pack ordered 15.3.2022
20 Posts
For most of the time the car ist filled with energy at home.
In Switzerland there is a low cost time from 22 - 7. The price is much less then on the Fastcharger, so the gap opens more…

·
Registered
483 Posts
My spreadsheet tells me I've paid 2.87p per mile over the last 3 years (E7 overnight charge, 3 different suppliers, best available fixed price deal each time)
No IC car I've ever owned has ever come close to the 253mpg necessary to match that fuel/mile cost.
Don't do any rapid charging at the moment due to personal circumstances, but even if that were to change, it would never amount to a large percentage of the total.
No IC car can top itself up overnight.
Future PV may make the top-up free or better !

·
Registered
177 Posts
One issue is that of business mileage. I get paid £0.05 per mile when travelling on business. Longer trips invariably mean stopping to use public chargers (any paying high rates), therefore to go to Manchester and back (circa 400 miles) ends up costing me over £30, which can't be fair?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I get ICE rates for my mileage reclaim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts