Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's interesting to note how many features on the I-Pace are being reported on other EVs as being innovations for the likes of Audi and Mercedes :roll: . I notice that Autogefuhl is particularly good at making this mistake and their recent review of the EQC is a good example - making out that putting the batteries in the floor is a remarkable innovation for Mercedes :lol:

BUT sometimes other EV manufacturers do have good ideas and I think we should be recording them in the hope that JLR will pick them up and incorporate them in the I-Pace.

I have just been watching the "Tesla Time News" podcast:
and in it they discuss the new features included with v9 of the Tesla software. Tesla have come up with some good ideas, for example, Tesla now allows you to use the built-in cameras as a dashcam. This only required a software change, no hardware except for plugging in a USB memory stick. Also, the navigation system warns you if you are in the wrong lane at a junction.

I have therefore started this topic as a central location for good ideas which we might like to see on the I-Pace such as the ability to show rear the camera view and use it as a rear view mirror whilst driving forward (as mentioned in some other topics).

·
Registered
17 Posts
  1. Wireless CarPlay.
  2. Digital Car Key
  3. Calendar integration so it can precondition and set the charge level based on needs.
  4. Full automatic parking / summon mode.
  5. Digital rear-view mirror (like Cadillac / GM have). Not having to devote the dash screen to rear-view while still getting the camera based view would be nice. Also, the camera angle for rear-view at speed is different from the cameras for reversing.
  6. Add an ITM
  7. A way to integrate charging prediction into Apple and Google maps (would have to work w/ Apple and Google to pull that off). I just haven't been impressed with in-car nav systems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Note: Many of the improvements for the Tesla were suggestions made it's owners in the forum that it turns out that Tesla follows also.

So if this thread is also followed then any suggestions here could turn up on future models or even as update for the present cars.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)

·
Registered
126 Posts
8. set and save default distance for ACC (currently resets after turning off/on car)
9. when driver doesnt respond to prolonged "hands on steer" reminder, gently slow car instead of disabling Lane/stier assist.
10. set and save as default the input lag of power response (gasresponse)
11. show charging speed
12. Connect ambient lighting with equalizer / respond to music playing
13. Customize (i.e. replace) all sounds of car (e.g. acceleration sound)
xx. Redesigned (intuitive) infotainment
xx. When correcting adress for navigation, allow to select a specific position within the adress instead of having the adress fully deleted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe someone who as received, or at least driven an I-Pace can confirm this one isn't present, but Jaguar Australia told me this was the case:

14. When cruise control is set to a specific speed and you go down a hill, apply brakes (or regen) to keep the car at the specified speed.

My understanding is that Jaguars will just coast and therefore exceed the set cruise control speed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
cyberslug said:
Great ideas, some hard to implement OTA what I think was OP's intention. Nevertheless, I'd like to see:
- rear windscreen wiper
- faster processor(s) for infotainment
- 3 phase charging

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Aus_ipace said:
Maybe someone who as received, or at least driven an I-Pace can confirm this one isn't present, but Jaguar Australia told me this was the case:

14. When cruise control is set to a specific speed and you go down a hill, apply brakes (or regen) to keep the car at the specified speed.

My understanding is that Jaguars will just coast and therefore exceed the set cruise control speed.
A bit disappointing if it's not the case because it's easy to do with electric car regen. My 2015 A3 etron has it and it's nice. It doesn't use the brake but use motor's regen break and it's enough in most case.

G

·
Aus_ipace said:

My F-Pace never did this ... so I doubt very much an I-Pace with regen breaking will do it either.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gdank said:
Aus_ipace said:

My F-Pace never did this ... so I doubt very much an I-Pace with regen breaking will do it either.
My Mercedes C350e is doing that, slowing down when going downhill but also braking when lowering the speed (e.g. when you go from 130 to 100).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
As I said it's more easy to implement on an EV than an ice car because u don't have to use the physique brakes but just the motor'brak8ng regen wich is much stronger than combustion engine braking. So I don't see why it would not be implemented on the I pace.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Coasting mode. Regen off. After my experience with several EVs this is, for a trained EV-driver, the most ecomomic mide.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Tophe74 said:
Can't u do it with I pace if u hold the throttle between accelerate and regen ?
Dont know if that will be exactly the same, but still more complicated than taking the foot of the pedal.
But dont know how effective it will be with a PM engine since it cannot be "shut off".

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
FENorway said:
Tophe74 said:
Can't u do it with I pace if u hold the throttle between accelerate and regen ?
Dont know if that will be exactly the same, but still more complicated than taking the foot of the pedal.
But dont know how effective it will be with a PM engine since it cannot be "shut off".
I might actually like the current I-pace set-up as I believe it gives me more range while if needed being able to regen by braking. That is also what my ICE car does today on CC, it picks up speed if downhill is steep enough and when needed I slowly brake to keep speed in check or allow the speed to pick up if there is an oncoming upward hill.

When you go downhill it is more efficient to let the car roll and pick up speed than using regen and keep cruisecontrol speed. Not different than when hypermiling letting the car roll out towards a traffic light versus regen.

To my knowledge when you press the brake pedal the initial bit is regen and only when you press it deeper will it really use brake with energy loss.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On topic. A feature I miss (in general, not specific for JLR) and never have been able to wrap my head around.

The lifecycle in electronic goods is short. The support lifecycle by manufacturers is following, making your say 3-years old smart-TV outdated. Your 2-year old Android phone obsolete. It is cheaper to buy a new one it seems.

With cars it is about the same. Not the car, but the electronics in the car. Navigation? Your iPhone can do much better. Why in the world do we want electronics in the car that can be amended by consumer electronics much better and cheaper? Answer is CarPlay etc. The real answer there is the consumer base is much bigger. Why not design the cars so that it can be amended by cheap, updatable consumer electronics (think smart phones). To make it future proof, make it open source.

Why not make (part of the) User Interface open source? The community that is able to maintain the software code is without doubt a hundred times bigger then the manpower available to JLR. Plus, the community is willing to maintain it long after the model has lost its profitability to JLR.

·
Registered
126 Posts
funkwhiz said:
On topic. A feature I miss (in general, not specific for JLR) and never have been able to wrap my head around.
(...)
Your point / feature is unclear to me.

The downhill regen discussion is great but doesn't belong here.

Lets keep this thread clean and simple with feature requests only.

Discussion and questions in separate threads.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd like the Jaguar Voice, which already works well with the telephone and music, to work with the navigation system as well- just as Google Maps works:- where you can just say "Take me to Morrisons, Loughborough" (or similar) without having to know the street name or the postcode and typing it in.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts