Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says: I'm looking for any good practice on winter tyres, more specifically the purchasing of it.

Some background first. I haven't had any car with bigger tyres then 17" and none of them had TPMS. I had winter tyres though. In the past I tried several variations: getting an additional set rims with winter tyres, just winter tyres and getting them swapped on the rims, done by the dealer, done at the local tyre shop. All of the options worked reasonably OK. As with 20" which I ordered, and the stiff pricing deals from JLR dealers on winter tyre sets, I am looking for alternatives.

I have ordered 20" which comes with summer tyres. I imagine getting other rims makes the TPMS an issue if not done by JLR ? Wouldn't winter tyres swapped on the same rims done at the local tyre shop not be the simplest and probably the cheapest option?

What are the con's and pro's? Any guidance and experience (in general on 20+" wheels) in this matter is appreciated!

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Winter tyres are part of the lease so twice per year I go to a place where they change the tyres on the rims and store them.

I am considering changing the rims but need lease company approval and pay for it myself as lease budget is maxed. Not allowed to pay for options myself but can buy accessories as long as lease company approves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the last 20 years I am changing to wintertyres.
Always with the same rims, TPMS is at that situation no issue.
Car looks all year the same, driving and handling stay the same.
Tyres get checked inside and outside for extra safety.
Tyre company stocks the tyres wich are not used.
I think that is the best solution, buying extra rims is a expensive solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depends on the specific conditions I think. Here in Norway the cost of swapping tyres on a set of rims is around £100, storage at least the same, so total for storage and change at beginning and end of winter would be £300. With an extra set of rims you can swap wheels in your drive and earn back the cost of a decent set of rims in 2-3 years, so basically everyone has a complete winter wheelset here even if they use tyre hotels.

Most places in Norway the roads are also heavily salted in the winter which can damage the rims, therefore and also for improved grip it is usual to have smaller and cheaper rims with narrower tyres for winter use. Eg. for I-Pace a good set of winter tyres is also about 30 % less for 18" than for 20".

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy said:
Same here in Canada. I will run the car on 18" wheels in winter time.
I think I am heading for the same Solutions then. Only need to figure out the rim and tyre width/height. The standard tyre on 18" may be too wide.

·
Registered
89 Posts
235-65-18. This is a very heavy car. 235 is fine I would not go any narrower. This is what I have on my wife Volvo XC60 and no issue in any winter condition.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are also 19inch rims and tyres available for the ipace. 19 inch is very common size on SUVs

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the above linked givawheels there is a 19" combination with Pirelli Scorpion tyre that is classified as 69dB. That is better then anything on 18" I've seen!

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Most of the rims are available in Germany i think. Brands like MAK are international.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darkhelmet said:
DrPhil said:
Does anybody know, if
- they ship to Germany?
- their rims/tires are certified for Germany as well?
From their website you can get all details:
- MAK Highlands, Gunmetal with polished face, 8J x 19 inch - 5x108 - ET 45 - CB 63.4
- Pirelli Scorpion Winter ( 255/55 R19 111V XL , N0 )
The N0 means it is Porsche approved. Google in Germany for "Pirelli Scorpion Winter ( 255/55 R19 111V XL , N0 ) Reifen". According to the label it has "M+S Kennung mit Schneeflockensymbol"

·
Registered
68 Posts
What does it mean to me when tires/rims are approved for Porsche?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts