Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 HSE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the questions I had when looking at iPaces was whether my dog, who is a Labrador/Old English Sheepdog cross would fit in the boot, as he is a decent size at 30kg. I will say that they do not fit too well in an iPace on the default floor - he was having to dip his head slightly when the door was closed, which was not ideal. Fortunately, there is a space under the floor you can modify which I'll share below.

So, first things first, here is what you're starting with in the boot (apologies I didn't have a couple of before photos from my car, so the first 2 images are stock).
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Light

Nice flat floor, but way too high to fit a larger dog. What helps, is that underneath there is a space for storing charging cables:
Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate

You can fully remove the folding boot floor, exposing the polystyrene under boot liner, which is held in place with four thumb screws in the corners next to the seats - this is what it looks like out of the boot:
Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Grey Rectangle

There's space for a compressor, tow hooks, and a few other bits, but even with the folding floor removed it raises the height of the boot floor too much.

Looking at the true floor of the boot shows it is not perfectly flat - the large void at the bottom of the photo is where the air compressor lives if you have air suspension. If you don't have air suspension this is a nice sized empty space. You can see the 4 screw threads near the back sticking up that hold the polystyrene in place.
White Hood Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Looking at the space under the false floor you get some critical extra height - 4.5-5 inches in fact - a massive difference for fitting a larger dog inside!

Automotive tire Wood Grey Asphalt Bumper

The issue with the boot floor on its own is it isn't flat, and there are cables exposed at the back of the seats and under the sizes of the floor left and right. I was not happy having those exposed, plus finding something to cover the air compressor space at the back was proving a challenge, so instead I chose to modify the polystyrene floor as the sides will protect all of the wiring - it's only really the moldings in the middle causing an issue. Modifications were made by removing the highlighted sections - red are obviously raised sections, and the yellow box is where it slightly raises the polystyrene floor over the "hump" in the middle of the actual iPace floor:
Motor vehicle Road surface Rectangle Automotive lighting Automotive design

I used a stanley knife and small hand saw to remove the sections - there are likely better tools but they did the job and were what I had to hand. Took maybe an hour to cut all the bits away that I wanted, and when the newly modified polystyrene is placed in the boot you get this space:

Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive design

You end up with ~4-4.5 inches of extra height in the boot with this modification, and as you can see all of the sides and rear wiring harnesses are covered with the polystyrene. The base has not lost any structural strength - it is still as solid being held in place, and in supporting the folding boot floor that fits on top. I will say that thanks to the air compressor in the void near the door the section where my warning triangle is in the picture is supported underneath. If you don't have the air suspension I'd put dog towels and other things in there to fill the space under the polystyrene to ensure the polystyrene doesn't start to cave in over time - ours has shown no issues, even with the dog jumping onto it every time he jumps into the boot.

To finish the space off I added some spare carpet to the boot - one section to cover the main floor, and another which I push into the gap between the back of the boot floor and the seats to cover a small gap where you can see the wiring harness from some high angles (this is really to prevent any moisture or dust getting there):
Land vehicle Car Automotive tire White Hood

So now with these changes I've got a good extra 4-4.5" of headroom for the dog - he now fits comfortably inside the boot when sitting up, and has more than enough space to lay down in the boot if he wants to sleep.

Car Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

With the boot closed he can sit up fine - this photo isn't the best angle as he still thought he needed to lower his head, but he can sit up straight and look out the window fine these days:
Dog Car Vehicle Automotive mirror Window

So that's it - I've tidied the edges of the carpet up a little to make it neater but the iPace is now larger dog friendly. I can use the folding boot floor over the lower, carpeted area if I want a flat boot floor and don't want things on the carpet, but when we take the dog with us it's 5 seconds to fold the floor up to reveal the carpet for him. I do have to move the carpet slightly, and remove the carpet next to the seat so the boot floor can fit in nicely (I'd add a photo but a post can only have 10 photos).

Now you may be asking where do you store charging cables and the other bits that were under the boot floor - well you can fit a granny charger and a type 2 > type 2 cable in the storage space under the bonnet, and the air compressor and tow hooks fit in storage elsewhere in the cabin, so I'm not leaving any of that kit behind.

Hopefully this post is useful for anyone looking at an iPace for a larger dog - I couldn't find a single thing about fitting in a Labrador sized dog online when doing my research. If people have questions or want more photos let me know :)

Oh and if you're worried about messing it up or not liking the change the replacement part for the polystyrene is something like £80 - I didn't need a replacement but if I come to sell I may stick one in if someone doesn't want the dog modification.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for sharing! I have a large Golden Retriever that needs to appreciate the boot of the I-Pace in a few month’s time. It is good to know that there is the potential of gaining more space in the boot floor.

BTW: There is a video about how to fit a Labrador into the I-Pace, but in this video the owner lowers the back seats, and uses most of the car for dog transport:

·
Registered
2018 HSE Silicon Silver with the F-Type interior
90 Posts
excellent post and thank you for sharing !

I expected more storage space before I bought the car, but later learned that the air suspension compressor occupied that space :) it never hurts to have a few secret spaces in the car for a wine bottle or two

·
Registered
MY20, Cesium Blue HSE, no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 18in wheels, Fitted Mirror dashcam
506 Posts
View attachment 7682

With the boot closed he can sit up fine - this photo isn't the best angle as he still thought he needed to lower his head, but he can sit up straight and look out the window fine these days:
Thank you for posting this; I know at least one F-Pace owner who has been put off an I-Pace because it "failed the labrador test".
I have noticed recently that there are an increasing number of crash-damaged i-Paces being broken down and the parts sold so you could probably pick up a replacement polystyrene liner for a lot less than the cost of a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts