Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
MY20, Cesium Blue HSE, no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 18in wheels, Fitted Mirror dashcam
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember that the I-Pace is fitted with an emergency braking system
but fortunately I have not needed it yet.
Has anyone else had real-life experience of it working and did it do the job well? I'd like to know what would actually happen if a cyclist or pedestrian got in the way unexpectedly without having to conduct tests myself!

·
Registered
16 Posts
A couple of months ago I was driving along a main road speed approximately 40 mph and a youngster who was running along the footpath just ahead dashed from the left hand side of the path to the right hand side of the path to pass another pedestrian. The I-Pace applied hard braking as it anticipated the child running into the road. I could see they were not heading that way but the car couldn't. The braking action did give me a start but it reminded me that it could if need be stop in an emergency. Dave

·
Registered
304 Posts
I back my car out of the driveway onto a very wide footpath. The car has cross traffic alert and even though I know there is no danger, the car slams the brakes on if I ignore the warning beeps. Gave me quite a start the first time.

It does at least give me some comfort that it works as intended.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don’t be too comfortable. The system is poor crap. Works when it shouldn’t and doesn’t work when it should. Twice it caused almost an accident. Driving at 30mph in a narrow 2 lanes with cars parked on the side, the system keep slamming the brakes. Very dangerous. That’s a common situation in urban Uk roads.

·
Registered
MY20, Cesium Blue HSE, no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 18in wheels, Fitted Mirror dashcam
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don’t be too comfortable. The system is poor crap. Works when it shouldn’t and doesn’t work when it should. Twice it caused almost an accident. Driving at 30mph in a narrow 2 lanes with cars parked on the side, the system keep slamming the brakes. Very dangerous. That’s a common situation in urban Uk roads.
That's interesting, I live in the UK and do a lot of driving down narrow roads with cars parked on either side and I have never experienced that problem. Perhaps there are different sensitivity settings I have not discovered as suggested by Ingenoren above?

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's interesting, I live in the UK and do a lot of driving down narrow roads with cars parked on either side and I have never experienced that problem. Perhaps there are different sensitivity settings I have not discovered as suggested by Ingenoren above?
Good morning Thincat

Where do you find the settings and On/Off for this capability?…or how do you know if your car has it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Turning AEB ON or OFF will make little difference:

ADVANCED EMERGENCY BRAKE ASSIST (AEBA)
WARNING

Make sure the relevant safety warnings and notes have been read and understood before driving the vehicle. See COLLISION AVOIDANCE SAFETY.

Advanced Emergency Brake Assist (AEBA) prepares the braking system if it detects a collision is imminent. If the driver subsequently presses the brake pedal, full braking force is applied immediately.

AEBA still operates if forward alert is switched off.

Extract from the manual.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a mixed experience with this emergency brake system, but can’t figure out in which condition it is working. When the cruise control is engaged, the adaptative CC is doing a great job. When not engaged, I feel like the car behaves differently if you still have your foot on the accelerator or not. If you anticipate the problem and release your foot, I think the car think you know what you are doing, you have seen the problem and does not do anything. I have the feeling that you need to keep your foot on the accelerator to warn you in the dash and apply the break on tour behalf. I may be wrong.
I remember a video where guy was testing the emergency break from different car and the IPace failed miserably with no sign of break at all. I think I also read somewhere that the emergency break needs some time after the ignition to be operational, so any test with the car off then on and start immediately an emergency break test will fail.

An old article on Insideevs goes in the same direction.

Apparently, Jaguar engineers explained the bad result with this explanation :

"When the driver's door on I-Pace opens, power is cut to some systems, while the contents of some data stores are erased. This means that the car uses the first ten minutes of driving to "learn" the traffic image and in what situations the emergency brake system is to be activated."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a mixed experience with this emergency brake system, but can’t figure out in which condition it is working. When the cruise control is engaged, the adaptative CC is doing a great job. When not engaged, I feel like the car behaves differently if you still have your foot on the accelerator or not. If you anticipate the problem and release your foot, I think the car think you know what you are doing, you have seen the problem and does not do anything. I have the feeling that you need to keep your foot on the accelerator to warn you in the dash and apply the break on tour behalf. I may be wrong.
A few days ago on the Interstate(/motorway) a vehicle in front of us slowed down more abruptly than expected. I had already moved from the accelerator to the brake and was slowing down, and a warning triangle and alert appeared in the instrument display that said "Continue braking" or something to that effect. The car did not seem to intervene or apply extra brake pressure but appeared to recognize the hazard ahead and that it was already being [somewhat] handled by me the driver. An interesting scenario but don't know what would have happened had I not "continued braking".

·
Registered
876 Posts
“When the driver's door on I-Pace opens, power is cut to some systems, while the contents of some data stores are erased. This means that the car uses the first ten minutes of driving to "learn" the traffic image and in what situations the emergency brake system is to be activated.

So you’re driving along a country lane towards a village and as you approach the school the system takes 10 mins to reprogramme to a built up area!. I don’t think so.

The system does take a couple of minutes to load up, because you can’t set the Satnav immediately. The cameras detect a moving object threat and either warn you or brake, they do not react to stationary objects. Other owners have set cardboard boxes in front and driven at them, the cameras are not programmed to react to boxes

Mine operates as intended except for Emergency Lane Assist which activates on narrow lanes when there is no threat, maybe I should not be travelling over 40mph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts