Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Spanish head-to-head comparison of the full range of about 10 Full EV's incl tesla X and S (100D).
Results for the ipace are disappointing, in my opinion.
Max range about 315 km, 27.5 kWh / 100 km; 65 % of claimed WLTP

JLR claims it was a pre-production model, and software updates will make the car more electricity-efficient.
I can not imagine how to fix this with software-updates.

Have to confess: I am disappointed by the testresults, as I want at least 400 km-range from my EV (and don't want a Tesla..)
Hopefully soon some real production version tests.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the German test you mention, it is not stated if it was a pre-production model or a final version.
The Spanish video is the first that I'm aware of which shows a head-to-head comparison, although with a pre-production model.
What were the weather conditions during the German test drive? In Spain it was about 28-33 degrees celcius.
Perhaps the Airco drains a lot of energy? Skip the sunroof? (Which I did).

Do you have any idea how a software update can improve the efficiency from 27.5 to 21.8 kwh/100 km? (about 20% improvement)

G

·
Bart said:
Do you have any idea how a software update can improve the efficiency from 27.5 to 21.8 kwh/100 km? (about 20% improvement)
No idea, however I did speak to Jaguar about the Pre-Production car in depth and from my understanding it's not just the software, some electronics were not optimised so so parts of the car were running far from optimal. As an example the DC quick charge didn't work in most so they would use the Type 2 AC to charge most of them.

How they did it TBH is not important ... all that is really is the real range of the productions cars. At the video above does show that 21.8kw/100k is REAL doing mostly motorway at 70mph/110kmh for most of the journey.

If people are REALLY worried then wait for someone like Bjorn on youtube to do a real long range test on it.

If you need more than 240miles between fill ups and do all motorwaty driving, then I'd start looking at another car now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waiting for the first EV with real range (400+), besides tesla, I was very relieved to see the I-pace coming to market. But the real-life test up till now are disappointing. I am intrigued / surprised that JLR has to do so much beta-tweaking to (hopefully) achieve the claimed range.

I try not to bash the iPace, as I definately want one, but the difference between claimed range and delivered range is way below my expectations.
JLR claims in their video's 480 km / charge, and I can imagine it to be a bit lower (say 400 km), but 310-340 km...

Also in this (german, below) video the stated consumption is about 26.4 kWH / 100 km (mostly highway, 120 -130 km/h).
After 200 km 33 % remaining battery-life and 65 km remaining range. In the trip-history of the car the only acceptable trip consumed 21.4 kwh/100 km, but it was only 1.8 km, with an average speed of 34 km/h...

G

·
Bart said:
Also in this (german, below) video the stated consumption is about 26.4 kWH / 100 km (mostly highway, 120 -130 km/h).
Any electric car that goes over 110km/h starts to use exponentially more power - even Tesla's use mid 20's kwh/100km.

If driving at 130km/h means a consumption of 26.4kwh/100km then that seems right.

It also then proves that the 28-29 that the prototype uses at 110km/h is not the same as production models, and that the reported "average" of 21kmw/100km seems about right.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My dealer have a preproduction prototype in the showroom. It has an unbelievable vampire drain. The kwh just disappears and they've got no idea where. That just an example of what unfinished software can cause..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Same here at my dealer in The Netherlands. They have a First Edition and an HSE. Both have a maximum range 250-285km according to on-board information. But let's be fair: the driving style during demo's is quite different from day to day usage. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Combined with the slow charging speeds at home (3,7kW for most households with single phase charging), you might drain your battery every day a bit faster than you can charge during the rest of your day... Enough speculations, let's wait for real life tests in production versions. But what I don't understand is how they achieved 480km WLTP with the pre-production model. They do the test with a real car, right? So must have been pre-production car as well? Anyone?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Snoerd said:
Same here at my dealer in The Netherlands. They have a First Edition and an HSE. Both have a maximum range 250-285km according to on-board information. But let's be fair: the driving style during demo's is quite different from day to day usage. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Combined with the slow charging speeds at home (3,7kW for most households with single phase charging), you might drain your battery every day a bit faster than you can charge during the rest of your day... Enough speculations, let's wait for real life tests in production versions. But what I don't understand is how they achieved 480km WLTP with the pre-production model. They do the test with a real car, right? So must have been pre-production car as well? Anyone?
Which dealer is that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gdank said:
Any electric car that goes over 110km/h starts to use exponentially more power - even Tesla's use mid 20's kwh/100km.
Sorry, I'm sure you'll cry Tesla fanboy but that really is BS. I have the old and by comparision to current models inefficient rear wheel drive MS85 (2013), and my 5 year, 170.000km+ average is 224Wh/km. I never reset "trip meter A" so this number is on my center console. I reset "trip meter B" every time I change summer/winter tires. Winter average is about 242Wh/km, summer average is about 205Wh/km.

The vast majority of my kms are highway, you'll _always_ find me on the fast lane doing about 10-15km/h above the speed limit, and I never, EVER miss an opportunity to experience the insane accelleration because that simply never gets old. Just to say I'm definitely no hypermiler or even a conservative driver. There is no way I could get those averages if the car would do 250Wh/km when doing a mere 110km/h - and it doesn't, not even close. In fact, with nice weather and no wind, it could do 190Wh/km, typically it will be around 200-210Wh/km at that speed. Before I see prolonged 250Wh/km I'll need to do well over 140km/h or have extremely adverse weather conditions.

Current gen Teslas do even 10% better than this due to battery and inverter improvements and dual motors being more energy efficient than rear drive only.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes AWD like i pace and it has more efficient motors. Only the cx is not as good than model S.
So i ve no doubt that the customer version of I pace will be efficient.

·
Registered
325 Posts
pivoking said:
Which dealer is that?
Haarlem. They have a red FE. And at the time I was there a few weeks ago, there was also a grey HSE outside. If I remember correctly, it just came there from a trip from Belgium (Ghent?). At that time, they did not take customers on a ride yet. A week later, they did. So the only thing I could do is scroll through some menu's and look at some figures ;-)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So a summarize the trip:

first part (BE / NL), highway:
41.8 / 100 miles = 41.8 / 161 km => 25,9 kwh / 100 km (range 90 kwh = 347 km)

Second part: NL to hannover, highway:
43 / 100 miles = 43 / 161 km => 26.7 kwh / 100 km (range 90 kwh = 337 km)

third part: 50 km around hannover, high traffic / jams:
28.9 / 100 miles = 28.9 / 161 km => 18 (17.95) kwh / 100 km (range 90 kwh = 500 km)

G

·
pebell said:
Gdank said:
Sorry, I'm sure you'll cry Tesla fanboy .. average is 224Wh/km.
Fanyboy! :mrgreen:

If your average is 224 ... then it stands to reason that your motorway Wh/km is higher than 224 ... probably closer to 240 at 80mph/130km. Therefore I'd say that 24kwh/100km is "Mid 20's" ;)

I understand you "mostly" do motorway, that you "mostly" drive at a fast speed, and that you don't drive with a light right foot - but even still it will take into account all your stops and town driving, including the higher regeneration you get when not driving at a constant speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bart said:
So a summarize the trip:

first part (BE / NL), highway:
41.8 / 100 miles = 41.8 / 161 km => 25,9 kwh / 100 km (range 90 kwh = 347 km)

Second part: NL to hannover, highway:
43 / 100 miles = 43 / 161 km => 26.7 kwh / 100 km (range 90 kwh = 337 km)

third part: 50 km around hannover, high traffic / jams:
28.9 / 100 miles = 28.9 / 161 km => 18 (17.95) kwh / 100 km (range 90 kwh = 500 km)
Hi I assume that figure for the third part is wrong since it is so much higher despite being in heavy traffic? If not we can see that the I-pace is optimised for around town not motor way

·
Registered
373 Posts
duncanrohan said:
Hi I assume that figure for the third part is wrong since it is so much higher despite being in heavy traffic? If not we can see that the I-pace is optimised for around town not motor way
Mileage always* much better in an electric car in slow traffic than fast moving traffic - the opposite of ICE cars

*there may be exceptions but in my experience always

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes its better to have a constant speed than always doing stop and start. But true for ice car to. U use more gas in town than outside.Launching the car use more energy than keeping normal speed and much more than the one u get back by regeneration in town.
i noticed that to with my A3 Etron in full EV mode.
U have to accelerate very slowly to use less energy and decelerate very soon to get back more energy.
A diiferent way to drive that u learn with EV when u need max range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.