Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Heater failure

49K views 245 replies 64 participants last post by  Ayepace 
#1 · (Edited)
My ipace has lost cabin heating. It's been recovered to my local dealer who told me today that the heater unit is on back order and my car will be off the road for 3-4 weeks. It sounds like there were lots of failures last winter, so bit of a joke that JLR didn't think to have some stocks ready for this winter.

#86 ·
I got my car back today. The part was delivered to Guy Salmon SW London on Tuesday afternoon and the car was ready for me to pick up this morning (Thursday). It had been with them for nearly 6 weeks. They have 6 customers with the same problem waiting for parts to be delivered. Apparently some of the delay so I was told, is due to it being a new modified part, not to mention covid, Brexit and Xmas. I was also told that I should not have any problems with the new part. Anyway I’m glad to have got my car back and got rid of the Enterprise rental car I was given, no JLR courtesy cars were available due to high demand because of failed heaters! I got a Mercedes S Class 3.5D at first which was totally impractical but managed to switch it for a BMW 520D which was less of a boat and more of a driver’s car, neither of them a patch on the ipace though.

#87 · (Edited)
Well disappointment reigns again! Part did not arrive yesterday and awaiting a new ETA on delivery. Currently driving a JA courtesy Velar which is costing a fortune in fuel! (completely contradictory to the reason for going full electric). Wish that JA actually provided Jaguar courtesy cars rather than LR ones.

#88 ·
Well disappointment reigns again! Part did not arrive yesterday and awaiting a new ETA on delivery. Currently driving a JA courtesy Velar which is costing a fortune in fuel and burning up the ozone!! (completely contradictory to the reason for going full electric). Wish that JA actually provided Jaguar courtesy cars rather than LR ones.
I can feel with you. I am starting now into week 9 of heater failure. Shame on JLR!

#93 ·
I had this problem (diesel evoque), eventually called Jaguar and asked (nicely) that either they give me electric or pay fuel costs - person I spoke to was v helpful, he called me back about 2 hours later and had found an ipace that was 49 miles away, I drive over and picked up the next day.

#94 ·
So I just decided to look at the forum for help as to why my heater had suddenly gone cold yesterday. Whilst it confirms I haven’t done something stupid and put it into a weird mode somehow this doesn’t make good reading. Guess I have a dealer phone call to make Monday morning, yay. One more for the list of failures.

#95 ·
Andy your best bet is to call Jaguar Assistance now and book a time with them when a Jaguar trained technician is available. They will diagnose the issue and inform your dealer and arrange a loan car for you. Otherwise you will have to wait for a slot with the dealer in my case that was going to be a 4 week delay just to diagnose the issue.

Make sure you ask for a loan car whilst they are with you. I did and they were on the phone to me within 30 minutes to tell me that there would be one at the dealer for me when I dropped my car off the next day.

#97 ·
Just had JLR contact me directly about mine (been in since end of November).

They have no idea when the part will arrive and I have to go back to the dealer to hand in the Discovery I am loaning from them as they need it back. JLR are supplying me with a Velar instead. So for 3 month at the very least I'm still paying for a car that's worth 20K more than the Velar and it's costing 100 snots a week in fuel compared to the tenner in electric my IPACE costs.
A very disappointing final year of ownership on what was up 'til now the best car I've ever had. Pah!

#98 ·
Happy days, the theft alert triggered today and had a call from the tracking service, followed by the garage saying the new heater was in and they were fitting it, should have car back by end of this week after it going in in November. I had an iPace loan car with added pivipro head up display, but to be honest I like the in touch better and the lane control is a must on long journeys, be glad to get my car back.

#99 ·
Just before I departed for a 300 mile night time journey to London, for a wedding, mine advised of a software update that could be applied without affecting its use, so I applied it. Coincidentally or not, my heater packed up as well as the lane assist/self steering - it just drifted into an adjacent lane at any time on the motorway. Good job I was alert. Anyway spent a freezing 300 mile journey, compensated slightly by the seat and steering wheel heaters. Following morning engineer arrived, could not fix it. Needed to be towed to my nearest dealer - Farnell (Vertu) JLR in Leeds. They did offer to let me take it to a dealer many miles away in London, but I did not have the time as I needed to attend the wedding. So they towed away my car and arranged a hire car across the other side of London in Park Lane.

To cut a long story short I have had very little communication from the dealer. I have had to make the calls. Nearly a week since this happened and I have absolutely no idea when I will get it back. Called today and their receptionist said their service department are not answering and said they will call me back. Sure enough, they didn't. Shame on you Farnell VLR Leeds (Vertu). This is not good enough. I think the iPace is a fantastic car, but I am seriously thinking of getting rid based on this experience.

#100 ·
I had that lack of communication all the way through getting mine fixed and that was in Ipswich, I am beginning to think the service advisors are trained by Jaguar to be non proactive . Only way I knew my heater was being replaced was, like others, by a call from tracking asking if my car was ok.

#107 ·
An update, got the car back last week after it being in waiting for a new HV heater since November last year, one thing I have noticed with the new heater is how hot the car inside now gets, used to run internal temp at 22 to be comfortable, now good at 20.5, warms up real quick even on a cold morning if I have not used preconditioning

#108 ·
Looks like today I encountered the same issue with the heater. In the morning went to work and left my car in the parking, came back after 2 hours and found only cold air blowing instead of warm. No matter what temp. I set, it blows stable cold.
Previously enrolled to visit the dealer with a bunch of Software problems (my car does not automatically update from 2.0.8pax3 to 3.0.0), now will have a visit with +1 more serious problem. I hope they will conclude smth like SW issue, not replacing the hardware... ((

#109 ·
I sent a complaint to Jaguar customer service because this isn't the first time I have been without the car for an extended period. Completely ignored the points raised in a poorly worded, could care less, response. Quite shocked at the lack of customer service and quality of the reply. Just told me to contact the dealer for updates.

Still, at least they had enough of a sense of humour to send me a customer satisfaction survey about how my 'contact' was dealt with.

I realise some things are outside of people's control but a premium brand should have premium parts that are tested so that mass failure like this does not occur.

I am also assuming that the new version of this heater also has to be sent to the production lines too and I bet they get priority over replacement stock.

My dealer has given my no estimated time other than to tell me other vehicles in their position have been there over 3 weeks now.

#110 ·
I also had a contact with customer services which the support engineer didn't bother to read and waffled on about something completely different. She appeared a little bit miffed when I said I had no confidence in her ability to address the problem if shoe couldn't read the letter. I gave up at that point as they were obviously only paying lip service to addressing issues.

#114 ·
This part comes from a MY18-19, and seems to be manufactured by Webasto, not BorgWarner

Doc from Wesbato:

(include nice info like Heat output relative to operating voltage. ie. 7kw only with 300v+, or Coolant temperature vs time , coolant can reach 70c)

Service life is (according to Webasto datasheet) "15 years or 12.000 heating hours"

Can we say that all recent heater issues are mostly on MY21-22, and not on MY19-20 ?

#116 ·
I asked the Jag dealer which is currently awaiting for my MY21 Heater to be delivered whether further failure occurence is possible and he replied that "No way, Jag already knows about that, new heaters are without shortcomings"... We'll see anyway, still no info regarding felivery terms yet.

#121 ·
I have joined the list of heater failures.:confused:. Took car into Dealer yesterday 14th. They phoned today to confirm the fault and said that the supply of new spare heaters is on hold while JLR research what is going wrong with them. Keep collecting the fuel receipts and they will update later in the week.

MY21 Borasco Grey SE

#123 ·
Anybody been allowed to take their I-Pace back while waiting for the heater part?

I was mildly surprised our JLR service center asked us if we wanted it back since they had absolutely no ETA on the part and felt it's safe (but cold) to drive if we wanted to.

We took it back in part because several high end dealerships near our JLR have had break ins and thefts. So much so that the local police now just park and sit in some dealer lots. Made me nervous to have our I-Pace there for who knows how many weeks. Plus prob not great for the battery?

#124 ·
Anybody been allowed to take their I-Pace back while waiting for the heater part?

I was mildly surprised our JLR service center asked us if we wanted it back since they had absolutely no ETA on the part and felt it's safe (but cold) to drive if we wanted to.

We took it back in part because several high end dealerships near our JLR have had break ins and thefts. So much so that the local police now just park and sit in some dealer lots. Made me nervous to have our I-Pace there for who knows how many weeks. Plus prob not great for the battery?
I asked if I could take it back, but the manager said it might not be comfortable to use the car in such condition (without operating climate-control in fact), besides they said it might be harmful for the battery. I guess they keep it in warm garage. As engineer mentioned, the battery will "feel bad" in hot weather rather than when it's cold. In the place where I am, the average temperature is -2C, so riding an IPace w/o heater isn't a delight definitely.

#125 ·
I was allowed to keep driving my car, but living in mild winter Florida may have had something to do with it.

As for any impact on the traction battery, does it use the same heater as the cabin?

#129 ·
Just had a call from my dealer to tell me the all outstanding parts orders have been cancelled as the heaters have been re-called and they are now awaiting new parts information.

There is no news on what the replacement will be but I thought that they had already replaced the faulty unit with a new version, clearly not.

This means even longer delays, mine has been sitting in the dealership for a month now :(