Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it is ok with you all to start a new topic here. The existing "Home Charging" topic is almost entirely about the issues our Dutch friends have with their 3-phase low-current domestic supplies. While I very much sympathise with what looks like Jaguar engineers being ignorant of this, I'd like to address a few questions relating to home charging in the UK and other countries where a 7kW single phase charge point is not a problem.

I have two queries as a not-yet owner:

(1). Does anyone have any experience of EO charge points? They make a very neat little point without a tethered lead (ie just a socket, really) as well as a tethered one. They are also in Stowmarket (local to me), though the installer they referred me to is in Northumberland!

(2). What is the best universal solution for overnight charging away from home and "proper" EV charge points? Something that could use eg a 32A or 16A commando socket, a 13A socket, or a Euro socket, and get the max current from each? The only solutions I've seen (Juice Booster 2 and Go-e) seem ludicrously expensive (€700-€1000) for what they are, and for the use I'd make of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
(1). I have the EO mini (7.4kWh) installed at my house with a a load balancer as my house can only have a 60A fuse at the mains. I haven't yet received my I-Pace (in a few days now hopefully) but it's very small and discreet. I like the fact that it doesn't have any fancy features, just plug in and charge.

(2). There are a few of those chargers around but they're all relatively expensive from my experience. I was considering the Juice Booster 2 for my road trips but as you say it's very expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
zee said:
(1). I have the EO mini (7.4kWh) installed at my house with a a load balancer as my house can only have a 60A fuse at the mains. I haven't yet received my I-Pace (in a few days now hopefully) but it's very small and discreet. I like the fact that it doesn't have any fancy features, just plug in and charge.
It is always weird to read as a Dutch person "with a a load balancer as my house can only have a 60A fuse at the mains". I hope in the coming weeks they also install a 32A charger with load balancing at my house but in my case I only have a 35A fuse.

If I would have a 60A connection & fuse I certainly wouldn't need a load balancer and that is despite having no gas so cooking electric with induction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
DougTheMac said:
I have two queries as a not-yet owner:

(1). Does anyone have any experience of EO charge points? They make a very neat little point without a tethered lead (ie just a socket, really) as well as a tethered one. They are also in Stowmarket (local to me), though the installer they referred me to is in Northumberland!

(2). What is the best universal solution for overnight charging away from home and "proper" EV charge points? Something that could use eg a 32A or 16A commando socket, a 13A socket, or a Euro socket, and get the max current from each? The only solutions I've seen (Juice Booster 2 and Go-e) seem ludicrously expensive (€700-€1000) for what they are, and for the use I'd make of them.
(1) tethered are better imho because you don't need to get out / put away your charging leads every time you use the car.

(2) the car comes with both a 13A standard plug charger, and a Type 2 to Type 2 charger lead to connect to Mode 3 charge points, which gives you two options when away from home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul J. said:
DougTheMac said:
I have two queries as a not-yet owner:

(1). Does anyone have any experience of EO charge points? They make a very neat little point without a tethered lead (ie just a socket, really) as well as a tethered one. They are also in Stowmarket (local to me), though the installer they referred me to is in Northumberland!

(2). What is the best universal solution for overnight charging away from home and "proper" EV charge points? Something that could use eg a 32A or 16A commando socket, a 13A socket, or a Euro socket, and get the max current from each? The only solutions I've seen (Juice Booster 2 and Go-e) seem ludicrously expensive (€700-€1000) for what they are, and for the use I'd make of them.
(1) tethered are better imho because you don't need to get out / put away your charging leads every time you use the car.

(2) the car comes with both a 13A standard plug charger, and a Type 2 to Type 2 charger lead to connect to Mode 3 charge points, which gives you two options when away from home.
Thanks for this Paul J. I'm not yet up to speed with the jargon, so not sure what a Mode 3 charge point is. I assume that's a point (like the EO Mini) supplying AC, so regardless of the charge point rating, it will only charge the I-Pace at max 7 kW or <18mph? So, IMHO, next to useless on a road trip; only useful for an overnight charge. As I understand it, a 50kW DC charger (CCS) will always have its own tethered lead. So where would I need to use the Type 2/Type2 lead away from home? Do hotels have compatible sockets? Or maybe car parks?

I guess working out how the whole charging infrastructure thing is going to work will take time and experience; but I expect I'd always have the 13A lead in the car for in extremis, aim to use DC chargers for a long one-day trip, and only take my T2/T2 lead with me for a planned overnight trip. Does that make sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Yes Doug what you say make sense, I am doing the same.
Your T2/T2can be used in hotels with a Tesla destination charger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
I ve an Evchargeking mobile charger on wich u can select the power from 32 16 13 and 8A.
It's provided with a big blue socket. But I think u can use or make adapter for other type of plug.
It costs half price of the juice booster. But u can"t program charging time or starting time. All have to be done from the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
DougTheMac said:
Thanks for this Paul J. I'm not yet up to speed with the jargon, so not sure what a Mode 3 charge point is. I assume that's a point (like the EO Mini) supplying AC, so regardless of the charge point rating, it will only charge the I-Pace at max 7 kW or <18mph? So, IMHO, next to useless on a road trip; only useful for an overnight charge. As I understand it, a 50kW DC charger (CCS) will always have its own tethered lead. So where would I need to use the Type 2/Type2 lead away from home? Do hotels have compatible sockets? Or maybe car parks?

I guess working out how the whole charging infrastructure thing is going to work will take time and experience; but I expect I'd always have the 13A lead in the car for in extremis, aim to use DC chargers for a long one-day trip, and only take my T2/T2 lead with me for a planned overnight trip. Does that make sense?
Just keep the Type-2_2_Type-2 Lead in the car. There are many places where you can park and charge for free using a Type-2 CP. Sure it won't give you many miles per hour but it is better than nothing isn't it?

Pod-Point operate a good number of free CP's that are located at Supermarkets. AFAIK, there are others at Cinema's and Leisure Centres.

Take Tesco in Crawley. There are two free Type-2 CP's right outside the main entrance to the store.
If that isn't fast enough, around the back near the Petrol Station there is a Fast Charger with CHAdeMO and CCS connections.
You can do your shopping, have a coffee and there could be 50kW in your battery when you return one hour later. The Fast Charger isn't free though. I may well be using it later today(Saturday).

Keeping the T2 lead with you at all times gives you the flexibility.
Just plan your route and use an app like Zap-Map to keep abreast of where the chargers are. The picture is changing all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
DougTheMac said:
Paul J. said:
DougTheMac said:
I have two queries as a not-yet owner:

(1). Does anyone have any experience of EO charge points? They make a very neat little point without a tethered lead (ie just a socket, really) as well as a tethered one. They are also in Stowmarket (local to me), though the installer they referred me to is in Northumberland!

(2). What is the best universal solution for overnight charging away from home and "proper" EV charge points? Something that could use eg a 32A or 16A commando socket, a 13A socket, or a Euro socket, and get the max current from each? The only solutions I've seen (Juice Booster 2 and Go-e) seem ludicrously expensive (€700-€1000) for what they are, and for the use I'd make of them.
(1) tethered are better imho because you don't need to get out / put away your charging leads every time you use the car.

(2) the car comes with both a 13A standard plug charger, and a Type 2 to Type 2 charger lead to connect to Mode 3 charge points, which gives you two options when away from home.
Thanks for this Paul J. I'm not yet up to speed with the jargon, so not sure what a Mode 3 charge point is. I assume that's a point (like the EO Mini) supplying AC, so regardless of the charge point rating, it will only charge the I-Pace at max 7 kW or <18mph? So, IMHO, next to useless on a road trip; only useful for an overnight charge. As I understand it, a 50kW DC charger (CCS) will always have its own tethered lead. So where would I need to use the Type 2/Type2 lead away from home? Do hotels have compatible sockets? Or maybe car parks?

I guess working out how the whole charging infrastructure thing is going to work will take time and experience; but I expect I'd always have the 13A lead in the car for in extremis, aim to use DC chargers for a long one-day trip, and only take my T2/T2 lead with me for a planned overnight trip. Does that make sense?
Charging points are becoming more popular at hotels etc these days, but in the UK there are fast chargers on most of the motorway service stations, also rapid chargers at quite a lot of them and others located in a lot of places off the motorway network, so long journeys in the UK IMHO shouldn't really be a problem as far as I can make out. Of course I have not tried my theory out yet, but others can probably chime in here with more experience.

EDIT I see SammyD has added to this, yes supermarkets and the like also have chargers installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I have imported from the USA an Open EVSE charger which is also WiFi enabled.
Set to 32 A. The cabling came from EV cables.
You have to build the charger unit which was great fun.
I have the charger in my garage and the cabling through the wall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Dtrawford said:
I have imported from the USA an Open EVSE charger which is also WiFi enabled.
Set to 32 A. The cabling came from EV cables.
You have to build the charger unit which was great fun.
I have the charger in my garage and the cabling through the wall
I'm really interested in knowing more about this; can you tell us how much it costs and the benefits you get from this solution?
Also if you have some photos that would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I was fortunate that we have a pal in the USA who forwarded the units on to us. One son has a three year old Tesla. Once the charger is on the WiFi network it can be controlled via tablet or phone.
As yet although it is visible on the network that is as far as I've got as the I-PACE arrives late January.
Look up Open EVSE on the web
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top