Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have one question about charging you iPace.
Searched the manual, and feeling really stupid I can;'t figure this out, but does anybody know how the "Charge period" works?

Like you see in the screen, I always set my cars preferred Charge periode start from 23:00 till 07:00.
I also set that my next leave is 8:00AM.

But strange enough (if you ask me), its fully ignoring those settings and always starting to charge immediately when the car is connected.
If I disable it after that, its not automatic going on at 23:00 again.

I should expect the car knows (since it know I need to leave at 8am), its having time enough to start from 23:00 since thats the preferred timeframe I added. Anybody getting this to work?

Regards,

Flip

Font Screenshot Number Logo Darkness

Font Gadget Screenshot Multimedia Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Flip said:
Hi,
I have one question about charging you iPace.
Searched the manual, and feeling really stupid I can;'t figure this out, but does anybody know how the "Charge period" works?

Like you see in the screen, I always set my cars preferred Charge periode start from 23:00 till 07:00.
I also set that my next leave is 8:00AM.

But strange enough (if you ask me), its fully ignoring those settings and always starting to charge immediately when the car is connected.
If I disable it after that, its not automatic going on at 23:00 again.

I should expect the car knows (since it know I need to leave at 8am), its having time enough to start from 23:00 since thats the preferred timeframe I added. Anybody getting this to work?

Regards,
Flip
I agree it is not working as it should. Sometimes It works but only with a bit of a workaround:
First stop the charging process with the app (it can take a minute). Charging then is 'paused'.
Then reset the charging period: make some adjustments and save the new settings (takes 1 or 2 minutes). You will get a error screen but just ignore this as the new charging period will be set.
Then the screen still tells that the charging is paused, so press "charge now" and then the screen tells that preparations are made for charging but it should start at the right time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Guys,

I also have had issue with "Preferred charging period" have you used the "Goodbye screen" to set the Preferred charging period "ON" as detailed in the Used Manual / Guide? see attached screen shot. This I have done several times and still it does not work???

I have contacted Jaguar in Birmingham and they have said contact the dealer where I purchased the car, but guess what they do not know what is wrong?

So I am going to contact Centre for electrification at Castle Bromwich and see if they can help?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
My week old car (and another I checked at the dealer) does not have a 'Goodbye' screen option. Software update maybe? Preferred charging set time does not appear to work, starts charging as soon as plugged in. Set a departute time for tomorrow so will soon see if this works. Question; does the car need to be plugged-in for departure time pre-conditioning to work?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Sparky,

Strange Goodbye Screen is standard when you switch the car off once Preconditioning is set to on. As for your question; does the car need to be plugged-in for departure time pre-conditioning to work? the answer is no but if it is not plugged in then Preconditioning will take power from the car battery and hence reduce range.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One other odd item on this Preferred Charging saga is that when I set my car up for this the App show that is it "Waiting to Charge" the preferred time being 00:00 to 07:00 but then it actually starts to charge at 17:00 this is actually 7 hours before the correct time? This I have now tested on 5 time with different preferred charge start times (00:30, 01:00. 01:30, 02.00, 02:30) and each time the app show Waiting to charge until 7 hours before the set time very strange??? Is this some time zone issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks brianscott, the pre-conditioning worked fine but looks like preferred charging times need a little more experimentation.
The screen does say times are based on the vehicle clock, not your phone clock, but these should be the same anyway when set up for the time zone you are in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I tried to stop the charging via the app. But that also does t work. It just ignores every command sort of say.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nope. This Friday I will go to the dealer to discuss this (again). I will tell them that I expect them to discuss this with JLR to come up with a solution.

And some other issues to discuss like light vibrations in the car when accelerating at certain speeds. And the car refusing to release the charging cable for 4 times I a row (fixed now). And a lot of software related issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks pivokin. I have more faith in your JLR dealer than mine and I don\t know yours. says it all. It's frustrating that this feature doesn't work as I want to charge my car partially overnight. My car is so good and no problems up to now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same - and the dealer is raising it with Jaguar today. Pausing charging and setting charging hours just doesn't work. I have solar panels so daytime charging is a big advantage. I'd also really like to get a definitive written statement from Jaguar about whether the user should, for optimum battery performance over time, keep within the 20%-80% charge band or whether the car management software does that itself. A great car that would be even greater if these issues could be clarified!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also tried manually stopping the charging by the app which was successful yet this morning it had started again itself and fully charged the battery.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like others who have posted here have also run into issues with the Remote app.
1. Even if a Charging period is set up in the app charging starts as soon as the charging cable is attached to the car
2. Stopping charging using the app will stop the car from charging, but after a few minutes it start again

I visited my dealer this afternoon to ask what had been fixed in the v14.2 upgrade that was installed last week, as this charging time issue was raised 3 weeks ago and indication was v14.2 could help. I asked today if they had any information on what v14.2 fixed and if they had any information on when a fix for timed charging might be available. I was told that Jaguar had not provided any release notes, so they had no idea what was fixed in this release and regarding the timed charging issues they were in the dark as to what the problems were and when they might get fixed. Whether this was true or not, or the party line I don't know, but I find it hard to believe, Jaguar isn't providing release notes to dealers. If they aren't then they should not underestimate the problems of dealing with "savvy" owners. I was told to speak to the salesman, so tells you a little about the issues of a service department getting to grips with this new SW centric Electric vehicle world.

I had an additional beef about fast charging, as at a 120KW charger earlier in the day I got a max charging rate of 48KW (SOC 58%) even though the provider confirmed on the phone that the charger was working OK and I was the only person connected to it. More on that issue in a separate post.

Anyway, to try and see if I could find a way to get the Charging time to work I did the following:
NOTE
Although you can set a charging time without a departure time being set, this will not activate the "GOODBYE" screen with the "Timed Charging" options "On or Off" option (bottom left side of the dialog) when the vehicle is shut down. So, without being able to set the option "On" the timed charge period you set can't be activated!! Nice One Jaguar.

Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel

To get the screen below to be displayed with the "Timed Charging" options displayed when the vehicle is switched off, I went through the following steps:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

1. I disconnected the charge cable
2. Entered the car and pressed the "Start/Stop" button. NOTE I didn't press the brake pedal
3. From the Main touch screen, I selected the Pre Condition option
4. Selected the option "New Departure Time"
5. Set the date and time to 22.11 at 11.00
6. Set as "Only once"
7. Selected "OK" to save changes
8. Selected "Options" (Gear Wheels)
9. Selected "Required charging period"
10. Set the "Start and Finish" times to 04.00 and 10.30

NOTE the handbook shows an option "Goodbye screen" with "Off and On" options. I do not see this option in my vehicle and I can confirm it wasn't there before the car was upgraded to v14.2

Why "Required charging time" is NOT a separate menu option like "Pre Condition" I have no idea. This for me this is a "No Brainer" why hide it under another option and make it so difficult to get at. I assume as its now a Sub Option of "Pre Condition" this is the reason why Timed charging is ignored if you have not set a "Pre Condition" time

11. Returned to the main screen
12. Pressed the Start/Off button to shut down the car
13. Plugged in the charging cable and the car started charging immediately
Bummer!!!

Locked the car and unlocked it and removed the charger cable and decided to try again.
I repeated steps 2 through 11 again, but this time I did the following
12. I pressed the brake pedal
13. Pushed the Start button
14. Selected D and drove a meter
15. Selected Park
16. Pressed the Stop button
17. The dialog below was now displayed allowing me to check the Timed charging option
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

18. The "Timed charging" option was by default set to "Off" so I set to "On". IMPORTANT do not close the dialog using the "X" in the upper right corner
19. Got out of the car screen cleared
20. Plugged the charger cable in again and bingo after a few seconds the instrument cluster screen displayed this
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I had expected it to show the start and finish times but getting this far was in itself a big win ;)
21. I then locked the car
22. I then opened the App and it showed in blue text "Waiting to charge". However, after about 30 minutes I checked the car and it had started charging again
23. I then disconnected the cable and did the start-up and power down steps. I got the Timed charging screen again and selected "On". Plugged in again it showed charging status as "TIMED CHARGING". locked the car and have not "fiddled" with the remote app.

Its been over an hour and car is not charging. I will post again in the morning and update on whether charging did in fact start at 04:00

I have had a Tesla Model S for 5 years, my wife had a Leaf for 2 years and an E-Golf for 1 year. I am "Gob Smacked" that something as simple as this is implemented so badly. It certainly gives me very little confidence, in Jaguars understanding of users needs for an Electric vehicle, I would go so far as to say that it seems to me the guys who were responsible for this code, either were given a bad set of requirements, or made it up as they went along. To perform the same task in any of the EV's I have mentioned above is simple. I have an FE price north of 75K in Norway and can't believe that this functionality (which is an essential part of owning an EV) is a crappy as it is. That it is so clunky to set up, 18 plus steps when a maximum of 4 steps is all that is needed is beyond comprehension, but that the app can't be used either, just adds insult to injury. If Elon Musk reads this post he will think his Christmas has come early. Yes, the car is brilliant to drive, interior quality is streets ahead of a Model S, but fighting like this to get "Timed Charging" to work is not on! OK, if you have a new generation wall charger with WIFI you can control the charging period using an associated app. But not everybody is so lucky. If somebody from Jaguar reads my post, please let somebody know, that if you don't get the simple stuff right, my faith in you getting the hard stuff like battery management right is being seriously tested.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Excellent writeup, my hat is off to you sir!

I have just returned my Tesla for a number of reasons but timed charging issues were not one of them.

Like you say it beggers believe that something so simple can be screwed up so badly.

I am picking up my new FE this Friday afternoon and I will try and test this issue before I leave.

Thanks one again for the detailed write up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also found that the timed charging would not work through the car or app controls. So I simply connect through a plug in timer set to switch on and off for my desired times ie overnight cheap rate. Works perfectly!

1 - 20 of 182 Posts