Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kind of dissapointed by the amount of light given by the LED Matrix headlights. Especially compared to my Previous car (Mercedes C, also with LED headlights). With the Merc it kind of felt like driving in daylight and the adaptive lights changed smoothly with the changing road conditions. Not so with the I-pace. The adaptive part feels quirky and distracting and the absolute amount of light on the road is not as I would expect from a 100.000 euro car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes I agree with you. I have it on an S Class coupe and it's light a light show going off in front of you. Disappointed .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Fox,
I have a HSE (Matrix LED) and of course friends and family want to have test drives.
Several of them were supprised by the amount of light the I pace produced.
I come from 3 year old Xenon headlights and I think the ones on the I pace are better, so I am also satisfied.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peter P said:
Hello Fox,
I have a HSE (Matrix LED) and of course friends and family want to have test drives.
Several of them were supprised by the amount of light the I pace produced.
I come from 3 year old Xenon headlights and I think the ones on the I pace are better, so I am also satisfied.
Next week the car is going back to the dealer to fix some minor post-delivery-quirks and they will also have a look at the lights, but it's probably a 'product feature'. Maybe I am a bit spoiled by the LED lights on the Merc. Overall still very happy :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Chimpils said:
How about the standard LED lights on the entry model? Are they ok? I am used to xenon lights as well
They work great - compared to my Skoda Xenon lights I feel the Jaguar basic LED lights brighten dark roads better. I do miss a little bit the cornering functionality I had on the Skoda and find it pretty bad Jaguar is not offering that standard on a €80k car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
what's the advantage for Matrix over normal LED ?

For sure the matrix will turn off elements when another car is detected, but that just makes the lights less powerful overall. Are the normal LEDs just as powerful as Matrix ?

Or are the Matrix like driving on high beam all the time ??

·
Registered
248 Posts
The matrix turns off only the elements shining where it senses another car and leaves the rest of the elements on full beam.

·
Registered
153 Posts
According to the configurator :
The S has standard LED headlights
The SE has premium LED headlights with twice as many LEDs and increased light output
The HSE has premium matrix LED headlights
So it looks like the premium lights are brighter than the standard lights but the matrix lights are no brighter than the premium lights..... I think

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is just a thought, but is it possible that the Merc S headlights are TOO bright. Too bright in the sense that they risk dazzling other road users, even despite the autodimming etc? Car headlights seem to have been getting brighter and brighter and brighter over the years to the point where there must be some impact on other road users. Seems to me that there might be a happy medium between providing enough illumination to drive safely at reasonable speeds in the dark while still making some allowance for others.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Chimpils said:
How about the standard LED lights on the entry model? Are they ok? I am used to xenon lights as well
I am very satisfied with the standard LED headlights on my S.
The road is very well lit Automatic high beam is a great feature that works perfectly as well. I also have front fog lights which are a great additional lighting on rural/country roads. Can keep them on even if there is no fog, haven't seen anyone 'complaining' (noone flashing their lights) in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not impressed with Matrix lights. 1st off the light in dipped is poor - not nearly as good as the xenon on Porsche or Mercedes. I thought the idea of the matrix was to maintain elements of the beam at full beam, but all that seems to happen is that it automatically switches completely on and off. There is a delay to switching on and if a car is coming out of a side junction, they don't dip. I've caught a few people with full beam, so now I tend to switch off auto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No the Merc lights don't dazzle they are just superior technology imho. You'd know about it if they were dazzling. Never had anyone flash me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi ccog,

The Matrix lights definitely do turn off areas of the beam dynamically. They rarely turn off High Beam.
Are you sure you have Adaptive Driving Beam enabled?
On my SE with the LED Matrix option I had to set ADB "ON" in the menus rather than "AHBA" I think it was.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Rich T

You were perfectly correct - I didn't have the right setting. Now I have them working as intended, they work much better. The full beam does however switch off at odd moments - like when I'm turning into my pitch black lane.

Thanks for the observation though - night driving has improved.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi ccog,

That's great news. Yes the turning off at low speeds is somewhat abrupt and I had been hoping there would be some cornering adaptiveness.

Like others have said on full beam I don't think they are are as evenly bright as our Mercedes GLA LEDs headlights.
Annoyingly those were sold to us as "adaptive" but they just aren't - they just turn on and off main beam at random times!

·
Registered
37 Posts
ccog said:
Not impressed with Matrix lights. 1st off the light in dipped is poor - not nearly as good as the xenon on Porsche or Mercedes. I thought the idea of the matrix was to maintain elements of the beam at full beam, but all that seems to happen is that it automatically switches completely on and off. There is a delay to switching on and if a car is coming out of a side junction, they don't dip. I've caught a few people with full beam, so now I tend to switch off auto.
Make sure you have them activated, my Velar was high beam assist only, it's only when I went into the options in the cluster for exterior lighting that I turned on the adaptive driving beam. Hey presto, lights now match my expectation and they are epic. The segments seem to build in brightness too, Merc S500 I drive turns segments on full whack and it's a bit distracting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I turned all the options possible on and I'm very happy with them. I don't even think about them as they seem to just work. Very happy too with the visibility they give. I was a bit worried as I had a Range Rover Sport before with High Beam Assist and I was constantly being flashed as it was hit and miss if they turned off the high beam or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've enabled Adaptive Driving Beam but get strange behaviour when first entering the main road when I leave work every evening. I think it must be as I exceed the minimum speed, the headlights switch to full beam momentarily, then switch back. It's a well lit road with other traffic around, so it shouldn't do that, I'm probably dazzling other drivers.... I'll have to turn it off - and add it to the list of issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They're brilliant. I live in the country and do a lot of driving on roads - both major and minor - without street lighting. The LED Matrix headlights are bright, and adapt quickly and really well to the presence of other vehicles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts