Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm a serial RR Sport owner who jumped ship to a petrol Porsche Macan S because of the bloat in physical size (and losing my wing mirror twice on locl lanes) but have now 'seen the light' and returned to JLR and ordered an HSE in pearl black with options to FE level to replace my Porsche, but still sit alongside my AM Vantage N430 :D

Managed to snaffle a cancelled slot so hoping for pre-Brexit delivery, hmmm.

I've been following the iPace since the very first rumours, so very excited. Shame my local JLR dealer (no names, but - Cambridge) was so rude that I had to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Same experience for me at Cambridge. I'm the type that won't dress up to go to a dealership. Jeans and t shirt just doesn't get the salesmen interested. My first experience was buying an XES and the second was when I went to view the I pace. Not one "can I help you" the whole time I was there. Of course I've now spent my £100k plus elsewhere.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Funnily enough i had the opposite experience at Cambridge, plenty of time and attention and sent off on an unaccompanied test drive. So, even though I didn't place my order with them (they didn't have the spec I wanted in stock), I was more than satisfied with their service (particularly compared to past experiences in BMW and Mercedes dealerships)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pacesetter said:
Funnily enough i had the opposite experience at Cambridge, plenty of time and attention and sent off on an unaccompanied test drive.
Was that in an I-Pace out of interest? I've had a provisional deposit down on an I-Pace for maybe 8 months now** and the lack of interest in me as a customer or communication of scarcely any sort has been abysmal. It is Marshalls, so what do you expect I suppose - very poor reputation here locally - too much money in Cambridge and too little knowledge (about cars I mean and as a sweeping generalisation - I think the dealers get used to not having to try too hard to sell)?

**In case you're wondering, the deposit was more to mark an expression of interest than because of a definite decision to buy an I-Pace. So in one sense I've not been too bothered about the lack of contact - I'm still in two minds. Pretty sure now that I'll buy a premium EV in the next 2 years or so, but not totally convinced about the I-Pace, especially in comparison to my current Macan. But there's not much else actually out there as an I-Pace rival right now whereas in 1-2 years' time I think there should be much more choice, eg whether it's the 2nd gen Evoque EV, the XC40 EV and plenty of other options being readied for market.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, their First Edition demonstrator.
I know what you mean about Marshalls in general though. Many, many years ago I worked for them and would always choose elsewhere if possible, but this particular experience (with a young chap called Marouf) was actually quite positive so you have to speak as you find.
I spoke to a few dealers while I was on my search and the overall lack of product knowledge of the i-Pace almost tipped the balance back to Tesla.
Anyway I ended up speaking to Cameron at Lloyds in Carlisle and he is fully clued-up and mega enthusiastic about i-Pace so I was happy to place my order with him. It does mean a trek up to Carlisle in the next couple of weeks but I reckon it will be worth it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I could not get the Edinburgh dealer to show any interest in selling me a car. I gave up and went on holiday for August. It was no different when I came back. I am definitely not a showroom time waster. Anyway, we contacted Lloyds in Carlisle in September and they have been first class to deal with.

I wonder whether the dealers in some cities are overwhelmed with interest in the i-pace and just can't sift out genuine buyers from the merely interested.

Oh and I did eventually get a follow up call from the Edinburgh dealer to ask if I was still interested in the I-pace...

Regards
Andrew

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've also ordered from Lloyds Carlisle as it's my closest dealer. I ordered at the open day in May and expect my car in early January (I was offered December).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Seems as if Lloyds Carlisle are one of the few dealers to have embraced the speciality of the i-pace and it's potential buyers, or maybe they are just as good with the ice Jaguar customers, either way they are refreshing to deal with.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Having had a similar bad experience at a dealer here in Holland (Foreholte Den Haag), followed by an appalling piece of customer relations from the sales manager, my conclusion is that the poor customer service from younger sales reps is driven by the attitude of the management at that particular dealer. They may be a JLR franchise but there is nobody from JLR telling them each day what to do; In the end they will behave towards customers as they are told by their local managers.

I went to a different showroom and had a completely different experience: 2 JLR dealers - 2 completely different experiences. It pays to shop around till you find somewhere you are happy to leave your money.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Best experience I have had in any dealership from top to bottom is without a doubt Lexus. Add that to their legendary build quality and refinement then a Lexus BEV sometime in the future would be an awesome product.

·
Registered
454 Posts
In my somewhat limited experience (maybe 4 new cars and 4 newish main dealer bought cars), there is no pattern by marque or dealer, it's all down to the individual salesman (and they're always men - I have never come across a female car sales person - except Tesla and France - see below).
Marshalls' Cambridge were pretty unimpressive when we bought a new Discovery a few years back; currently dealing with Marshalls' Ipswich (slightly nearer) re the I-Pace, and our guy there is good, tho' product knowledge not perfect.
But in general, the way UK car salesmen treat you when you're trying to spend 2 or 3x the average annual wage is pretty poor. The usual reaction in a showroom is several guys studiously ignoring you while tapping away with one finger on a computer.
They could all learn a thing or two from Tesla sales people (some of whom are even female!), who have been universally knowledgable and enthusiastic about their product; ultimately, in my case, to no effect, but they tried hard.
And we've just bought a new car (Skoda Kodiaq) in France - from a really good salesman. Replacing a Renault bought 16yr ago from another really good, female, sales person.
I suspect UK car salesmen don't get properly trained. A general UK malaise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts