Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The charger provided with the ipace is very slow. Like 50hrd to charge from 0 to 100%.
If u don't have a fast DC charger close to your flat it will be tricky.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes, it's ironic, isn't it. The people for whom an EV makes most sense (city dwellers) are also those who are likely to find home charging difficult or impossible.
Personally, I wouldn't consider an EV without home charging. But if you can find a convenient rapid (ie 50kW DC, not "fast" = no more than 7kW AC on the I-Pace) charger, you'd probably get away with an hour on that every week or two, depending on your mileage.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tophe74 said:
The charger provided with the ipace is very slow. Like 50hrd to charge from 0 to 100%.
Tophe74: I assume this is now based on experience? But you should be able to charge at 7kW or a full charge in 12hr? Or have you only got a 3 kW or less outlet?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
DougTheMac said:
Tophe74 said:
Tophe74: I assume this is now based on experience? But you should be able to charge at 7kW or a full charge in 12hr? Or have you only got a 3 kW or less outlet?
Yes I can charge at 7kw but with a wallbox(wich is fine for me). But the portable home charger provided by jaguar with the car charge at around 1.7 KW/h, so 50 hr for a full charge wich is almost useless except if u do 60km max each day.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi Bash lewis
I am in your situation in Paris.
My advice is to map all 50 KW DC chargers - or at least 22 DC chargers with a CCS.
combo plug in London . You can use different apps such as New Motion herebelow .
Then you will define how many times per month do you need to charge in order to decide to go for I Pace or not .

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tophe74 said:
DougTheMac said:
Tophe74 said:
Yes I can charge at 7kw but with a wallbox(wich is fine for me). But the portable home charger provided by jaguar with the car charge at around 1.7 KW/h, so 50 hr for a full charge wich is almost useless except if u do 60km max each day.
Hi everyone who actually has the car: Is Tophe74's experience general? Is the home charge lead only capable of 1.7kW (7.4A at 230V)? Does this vary by country? I assumed in UK it would be rated at 13A = 3kW. Is this a limitation applied in France? (I should but don't know the current limitation of an ordinary mains plug in France - is it 10A?). I need to pursue this with my dealer but I'm not sure he will know...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think that it's recommendation in EU that normal Schuko plug charging is max 8A. That's the current even old plugs can handle in long periods.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes for security I think they limited it to 8A so it's safe to plug anywhere even on old electrical installations.
Anyway I measured it and it's 1.7kw but maybe a bit different in others country.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yes I also measured the 13A limitation in France , using Juice Booster

·
Registered
40 Posts
emgf said:
Yes I also measured the 13A limitation in France , using Juice Booster
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I was thinking of getting a Juice Booster 2 but with the charging infrastructure the way it is, do you think there's much need for a device like that?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Zee when you charge the I Pace with a Juice booster you get infos on Amps up to 32A . JLR just gives you %.
Besides you might need for your long trip an all weather secured and resilient mobile charger in case you have to charge overnight in the middle of
nowhere , you will be sure to get 12x3KWh = 36KWh the next morning.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A standard UK domestic 3 pin socket should be able to charge at 3.1kW. Not ideal for the I-Pace, but fine if you are topping up for a long journey the next morning after having charged at work, for instance, before travelling home.

But emgf is correct too, plug in all night and you should be able to get a 1/3rd charge or thereabouts. Absolutely fine if your daily usage is no more than 60 to 70 miles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've used a 13A plug a couple of times when staying overnight at friends and family who don't have a 7kW home charger. For me, the charging rate over 15 hours or so has been about 3% of battery charge added per hour. So roughly 2.5kW rate. That's about 10-11 amps at 240 volts.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Bash lewis said:
I can't my decision Worried about charging the car
I leave in a flat and I can't have a fast charger
I love the car
Well for a fast charger it doesn't really matter if you live in a flat or your own house with driveway - 99% of I-pace drivers will not have their own DC fast charger.

So what we are talking about is an AC charger either 3.7kW or 7.4kW - in NL when you do not have your own driveway you can request a public charging point to be installed by local municipal. They will then arrange that 1 of the charging companies puts a public charging point within 300 meters of your house - that parking spot is not reservered for you alone but it will be indicated as EV parking only.

Not sure how that works in UK, London but presuming you have a parking place either outside or in a parking garage - you could talk to home owner organisation if an AC charge point can be installed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just wondering, when I use a wall plug (Schuko) when e.g. at my parents, can I limit the current at which the I-Pace charges?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
mca2 , using Juice Booster 2 , you can decrease manually the number of Amps proposed by the charger - generally 13A for home charging

1 - 20 of 35 Posts