1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Irrespective of the 0-60, I think the crux of the debate is that cars are able to get a software update while parked in your garage/drive. I find that fascinating (something we have taken for granted with phones). I do hope that jaguar will offer this facility..not on the 0-60 but possible other enhancements when the car hits the streets..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fiat 500 had that option in 2008, just had to connect the phone via bluetooth.

I never used it as the software was right the first time, no need to keep patching/fixing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GeordieLee said:
Irrespective of the 0-60, I think the crux of the debate is that cars are able to get a software update while parked in your garage/drive. I find that fascinating (something we have taken for granted with phones). I do hope that jaguar will offer this facility..not on the 0-60 but possible other enhancements when the car hits the streets..
That's not quite true ;)

The existing cars will not get any performance boost, OTA or otherwise.

It only applies for cars being delivered (ordered... no one is quite sure yet) after the announcement.

Personally I think in part Tesla were forced into it by worries of the base cars being out "spec'd" by the I Pace, but I guess only Tesla really know the reason. Colour me cynical over it being to differentiate the Model 3 from the S as Electrek would claim.

On the flip side it's causing a lot of upset to current Tesla owners, especially those who took delivery last week. Imagine buying a car with a 0-60 time 1 second slower than your neighbour just because yours was delivered a day earlier.

Making matters worse the original RWD P85's which cost £100k new, still under 3 years old, and advertised as £70k cars are now the same 0-60 as a brand new base Tesla which is cheaper... Good bye residuals.

If anyone needs more evidence JLR have Tesla spooked, this announcement cements it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ah thanks...To me it's little early to say that the update is to do with the ipace which is about 12 months to actually hit the road yet, but surely build quality etc etc and the 0-60 time of many things you choose a car!

each time I buy a new car I loose 20% as soon as I drive it off the forecourt so to be £70k after three years isn't bad!

I was reading articles that your should hire BEV as as soon as a new battery is made the residual price will plummet! Not sure jaguar will offer you to hire the ipace!

·
Administrator
155 Posts
I agree with the first post, it's great as a headline figure but realistically in day to day driving are you ever going to need that sort of instant acceleration? It also needs consideration at some point as to whether us average drivers could handle a car properly with those sorts of acceleration figures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
GeordieLee said:
each time I buy a new car I loose 20% as soon as I drive it off the forecourt so to be £70k after three years isn't bad!
Again the devil is in the detail. Whilst the cars are being advertised at such, realistically you as an owner won't get that in sale.

For example Tesla offered me £36k for mine against a trade in, but an identical car has been languishing on their CPO site for £48k for months :(

Tesla literally control the used market right now, as no-one else can provide 4 years extended warranty :(

GeordieLee said:
I was reading articles that your should hire BEV as as soon as a new battery is made the residual price will plummet! Not sure jaguar will offer you to hire the ipace!
Any form of finance where you have the option to hand back will do PCH / BCH or ballooned leases with guaranteed future values.

I'm 99% positive Jaguar will offer these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts