Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my First Edition with 22 inch wheels (used 2 weeks old) and decided to change wheels and run with 18 inch fitted with All Season tyres. Contacted Jaguar Customer Services who advised me to have the car re-calibrated for the different wheel size, below is copy of my latest email to Jaguar.
Waiting on response from JLR.

I booked my I-Pace First Edition in for wheel re-calibration yesterday as per your email, despite the dealerships best efforts the re-calibration was a failure, with the software upgrade failing to deliver. Not an uncommon problem according to the dealership, as the F-Pace nearly always has the same recalibration issues.

JLR have some serious issues here:

Software issued to dealerships for wheel re-calibration is not fit for purpose, why has this software not been thoroughly tested.
Where is the instant support for the dealerships to ensure that this type of problem is corrected immediately and not having to book the vehicle back in for further work, at your customers inconvenience.

In many European countries it is law that cars have to run Winter Wheels, that means JLR customers will have to have their cars re-calibrated TWICE a year, with the associated costs.
Having owned Porsche vehicles they are built with software that allows the driver to select different wheel sizes (18,19 20 and 21 inch) and tyre formats (summer/winter), why have JLR not adopted this?
Do JLR expect their customers to pay for wheel size recalibration year in year out?

Of the 3 dealerships I have spoken to each one has only ONE trained technician for the I-Pace, so as with my problem of failed re-calibration, I now have to wait over a week as the trained technician is on holiday next week, what is JLR plan to ensure that they have sufficiently trained staff to ensure good customer service.

Overall I am very impressed by the I-Pace, but it is let down, by poor technical back up at JLR dealerships.

Looking forward to JLR response.

First Edition Corris Grey, Oyster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JLR response to my query was that the car software needed to be recalibrated to reflect the change in wheel size, have been unable to get any further information from them, I am presuming there must be a difference in actual tyre diameter or something, that possible effects speed/range predictions for the car.
I am only reporting what JLR have said should be carried out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The outter diameter of 22" and 18" is more or less the same.
But there seems to be same kind of extension for 18" wheels.
So 18" wheels might interfere with the brakes if the car was delivered with 20" or 22".

The german flyer for winter equipment says this:
- 18" delivered only 18"
- 20" delivered only 20" and also 22" with air suspension

CU

Jens

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to I-Pace technical info, brakes are the same size on all the I-Pace models, here in the Uk you can spec a 'S' with anything from 18 to 22 inch wheels and the same for a 'HSE'
Hopefully JLR will come up with an answer as to the need for recalibration.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Once again my current XE has no problem switching from summer to winter. The winter alloys are genuine so came with sensors and the car recognises them without any recalibration or a visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
optimum tyre pressures can be different between different tyre sizes.
So you swap wheels, the TPMS has first to be recognized/paired by the car and I guess the tyre pressure range has to be adjusted for that particular size tyre ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts