Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody any thoughts on how they are going to convince people that range isn't an issue.
Many Jags are used for long trips, can this one?
Are they going to create their own charging network, or perhaps with others?
Are they going to buy into Teslas network?

Dec

·
Administrator
155 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
As an experience EV driver I would say that there are two concerns for me and the i-Pace:
1) Charging speed
2) Charging network availability

None of these are a concern in my normal commute and day-to-day driving of course but for weekends and holidays it quickly becomes an issue.

Hopefully the car will support the upcoming 150 kw CCS and this will make issue no 1 disappear. Because you don't want to stop for an hour or more to charge the battery on 50 kw to get another 300 km of range or 90 minutes driving time I can assure you :)

On the secound point - the problem is interoperability. Even here in Norway we have at least four major networks for fast charging, and you have to have a dedicated app or rfid thing for all of them. When you start traveling outside your own country - it all becomes a mess. Many operators in other countries won't even allow foreigners to create an account with them.

This is where Tesla are so brilliant - you just plug in without any kind of identification. The car identifies it self directly against Tesla and you as a driver don't have to care! The speed is of course also quite high - at around 120 kw.

So if i-Pace would in fact come with an option to use the Tesla network it would be nothing less than awesome and astonishing. If not - somebody has to start thinking about uniting all the charge operators and come up with some kind of roaming solution so you at least don't have to download 17 different apps to charge your way from Norway to Italy...

Things are thankfully starting to happen; here are a couple of interesting articles
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/08/5-european-ev-fast-charging-networks-partner-open-fast-charging-alliance/
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/05/daimler-shows-tesla-right-superfast-ev-charging-coalition-years-late/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts