Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Joined
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARK INVEST MANAGEMENT LLC , which have invested more than 300 million dollars in Tesla , have produced quite an interesting Compared EV efficiency study with good insights on the I-Pace :
 

Attachments

Registered
Joined
325 Posts
Still better than the Audi and Merc 馃槑
 

Registered
Joined
141 Posts
I find these things funny.

Two cars that you cannot buy in Europe (one that has not been released) are better than a car you can buy, which is slightly better than two other cars that you can't buy.
 

Registered
Joined
126 Posts
Can you share the (link to) report? I can't seem to find in the website.

Since they are invested in Tesla, they aren't independent, which of course isn't to say that their research is fault or not objective.

The overal outcome seems to fit with the general consensus that Tesla is the (range)leader.
 

Registered
Joined
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have access to the complete study . Should you want to know more you can subscribe to their newsletter on the website.
I agree with your remarks.
Nevertheless it is very interesting to know that the battery management and the drive train are critical components for the overall efficiency .... and it can be improved ( with enough data coming from all the members of this forum ) through OTA software upgrades
 

Registered
Joined
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I already wrote several time in this forum Tesla has 9 billion miles of data , JLR a few million ( I hope )
 

Registered
Joined
755 Posts
No surprise really. The I-Pace is extremely inefficient and the Battery management system is to blame. In addition to the PM motors that is "always on"
Hopefully JLR can fix it or add a "Range mode" that can be on top of the ECO mode.
 
G

2.6 miles/KWhr is not too bad a claim for the I-Pace, whilst some owners are reporting achieving over 3.0. I never personally expected Jaguar to make the most energy efficient car. Tesla can slog it out with the Kona for podium positions on that.
 

Registered
Joined
243 Posts
A Model S75D might have been a more direct comparison to I-Pace - all sorts of biased results are possible when you don't compare like with like.

And it's difficult to interpret these 'results' without knowing what these particular efficiency metrics were measuring - not sure how much you can just take them at face value without knowing their provenance.
 

Registered
Joined
1,245 Posts
So what eh?
ICE cars had a whole range of efficiencies.
Are new EV's expected to be more efficient than the one released last week?
It seems that way which is frankly silly.

I'm notorious in my family for driving and riding frugally. 2000 miles in a Saab 95-Estate 2.1Diesel at 59.2 mpg says everything.
But some of the criticisms levelled at the I-Pace are beyond the pale.
I bought the car to drive and also to do a job. As I'm saving huge amounts of money over an ICE car when it comes to fuel (petrol or electrons) I'm not that bothered.
It is the whole package that appealed to me rather than other EV's. That's what I'm buying into. Like the slogan, 'A dog is not just for Christmas', buying and EV is not just about energy efficiency.
 

Registered
Joined
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do agree . I was just sharing information .
Although i pre-ordered the Tesla M3 2.5 years ago I finally bought the I Pace and had a great week with it.
 

Registered
Joined
143 Posts
Sammy.. quite right. I've ordered mainly because the car is the only one on the market at the moment that sparked a reaction with me. I might have bought it had it not been a BEV but that has added a bit of extra mystery and excitement !
 

Registered
Joined
127 Posts
Let's assume the study is right and the Jag is less efficient than the Tesla (I believe Bjorn's number was about 26%?) So what? It's more luxurious and sportier and there's no free lunch. Still enormously more efficient than the 6-cylinder gas-eater it's replacing.
 

Registered
Joined
755 Posts
timbray said:
Let's assume the study is right and the Jag is less efficient than the Tesla (I believe Bjorn's number was about 26%?) So what? It's more luxurious and sportier and there's no free lunch. Still enormously more efficient than the 6-cylinder gas-eater it's replacing.
So what?
Range is the most important issue for most people going from ICE to BEV. When they're lagging they must improve. Hopefully they can make some improvement on the software, if not they must improve the hardware.
I think I-Pace is a good car, but unfortunately not a good EV. Having long range and low consumption are the 2 key parameters for 氓 good EV.
 

Registered
Joined
335 Posts
FENorway said:
So what?
Range is the most important issue for most people going from ICE to BEV. When they're lagging they must improve. Hopefully they can make some improvement on the software, if not they must improve the hardware.
I think I-Pace is a good car, but unfortunately not a good EV. Having long range and low consumption are the 2 key parameters for 氓 good EV.
Fully agree. Aerodynamics competes with esthetics and choices are made, but an inefficient drive train is sloppy design. At least with the years JLR had to figure out efficiency [Tesla coming to market compared to i-pace coming to market].

Range does matter when buying a 80K+ EV.
It is a nice car, it drives very well, but why the inefficient drive train? Don't say it was on purpose..
I wonder when the stated WLTP-range has to be adjusted..
 

Registered
Joined
126 Posts
FENorway said:
timbray said:
Let's assume the study is right and the Jag is less efficient than the Tesla (I believe Bjorn's number was about 26%?) So what? It's more luxurious and sportier and there's no free lunch. Still enormously more efficient than the 6-cylinder gas-eater it's replacing.
So what?
Range is the most important issue for most people going from ICE to BEV. When they're lagging they must improve. Hopefully they can make some improvement on the software, if not they must improve the hardware.
I think I-Pace is a good car, but unfortunately not a good EV. Having long range and low consumption are the 2 key parameters for 氓 good EV.
Dont't bother reasoning with rational, objective arguments. Buying a car in this pricerange is far beyond rational decision making. Otherwise we would all be driving Hyundai.

JLR deliverd it's first EV with the I-Pace and it's a solid first attempt. Unfortunately it doesn't move / change the market in any meaningful way. In my view really falls short of its 80K+ pricetag.

Nevertheless, I'm hoping it to be successfull enough for JLR to keep developing EV's.
 

Registered
Joined
378 Posts
I-Pace range is enough for me in 99% daily drives. And those days I wonder over my usual 100 km radius I seldom go over 300km one way. So range/efficiency is enough. And I want 4wd, comfortable seat and nice ride so not much choices. I went for I-Pace because it's the JAG. Tesla has nothing more to offer to me except supercharge network which I would be utilizing less that 10 times per year. So I pay happily extra 5 kWh/100km compared to Tesla (total 0,6 cent/km) to drive the car I like.
 

Registered
Joined
755 Posts
MjrPayne said:
So range/efficiency is enough.
You really don't get it.
JLR has made a great car in many ways. I've bought one, and many people I know has also ordered.
The problem is, and thats what this thread is about, is that JLR has made a car with way higher consumption than any other EV on the market. Range is the same as a much larger X75 with way smaller battery.
I've bought a car with a claimed 480 km WLTP range. And from my other EVs I know that WLTP is easy achieveable. But not for the Jag.
Why did they make a new driveline that was so inefficient. All Teslas patents are open to be used by anyone. But Jag wanted to make something different. Something that ate electrons for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I really don't think Jaguar has any clue about how an effective electric driveline looks like. If they did they would put it in the I-Pace...
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top