Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Proof that car is made of aluminium. Difficult to see from pictures if it was charging or not.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Vandy2020 said:
Saw this over on reddit: https://ktvz.com/news/fire/2021/08/23/electric-car-fire-west-of-redmond-prompts-special-firefighter-precautions/

This is the first time I've heard about a battery fire in the I-Pace.
This is the second one I've seen but that's not bad in 3 years. The other was shortly after the car launched and I think from memory it was in Denmark. I might have that wrong though, but Denmark was what sprang to mind when I thought about it. I never did hear the outcome of the investigation on that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
This is the second one I've seen but that's not bad in 3 years. The other was shortly after the car launched and I think from memory it was in Denmark. I might have that wrong though, but Denmark was what sprang to mind when I thought about it. I never did hear the outcome of the investigation on that.
I think you are referring to a fire in late 2018 (in the Netherlands) Car Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2889037/splinternieuwe-jaguar-brandt-uit

It does not look like a battery fire. Probably it was arson. More late night car fires around there at that moment.
It drew my attention as my i-pace was 3 days old at that moment..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Bart said:
I think you are referring to a fire in late 2018 (in the Netherlands)jaguar_uitgebrand.jpg

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2889037/splinternieuwe-jaguar-brandt-uit

It does not look like a battery fire. Probably it was arson. More late night car fires around there at that moment.
It drew my attention as my i-pace was 3 days old at that moment..
That's the one. Thanks. I never saw the final report on what caused that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It would be standard procedure to not comment on the event until after an investigation. Anything said before that is speculation and that just doesn't go down well if there are eventual lawsuits, or claims of responsibility for insurance coverage.

I could speculate about this, but obviously I haven't investigated the case. All I have to go on is the news article. It could be arson. It could be something inside the car that started the fire. It could be a fire of origin not related to the traction battery (eg. hot stuck rear brakes or electrical short in the air suspension system).

Evidence to support these possibilities:

• The car was backed into the garage not driven nose first into the garage. This is inferred by the position of the car in the street. Was this in preparation for the fire event?
  • Garage door had been left open. All the neighbors' garage doors in the pictures are closed. Why would this one be left open?
  • Car was driven from garage to the street. Driven! That means the car had module communications networks operational, no compromised control modules, no compromised BEM and BECM, and both low and high voltage power available. The parking brakes and pawl released, the motors got energy, the car was taken out of park, and no mention of instrument cluster messages.

I've been through the workshop manual for the I-PACE and I'm pretty sure the car would not have moved an inch/centimeter if there was a traction battery fire in progress. The system would have detected a traction battery fault and would not have allowed the car to get out of park. A host of other issues would have arisen too.

Yes, a fire could compromise the traction battery if the fire melted the connections to it for electrical circuits and the cooling system hoses. The origin would be external to the traction battery. That kind of fire may be slow enough to allow the car to be driven down the driveway. A fire originating inside the traction battery has a problem of lack of sufficient oxygen to maintain the fire until the outer casing is compromised.

The AC unit beside the garage door could not introduce smoke into the house. Is this a statement by the owner to exaggerate the severity of the situation, or a lack of knowledge? This is Florida and the houses depicted are fairly modern and obviously would have central AC. The unit by the door would be a refrigerant condenser and compressor unit. It does not do air exchange with air in the house.

Yes, I'd wait for a proper investigation to be done before believing a sensationalized news article. Jaguar is doing the right thing by being "not at all helpful." Their lawyers are probably driving this course of action.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts