Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

I-Pace from Belgium bought in Norway, alarm question.

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Elktronaut 
#1 ·
Hi there.

I bought an imported I-Pace S a year ago. The car wasn't pre-owned, but was bought by a company in Norway for resale to Norwegian customers.

Now, everything works as it should, but there's an annoying "feature" on this car which my local Jaguar-shop won't (or can't fix) because they claim the Belgian software is different to the nordics.

The problem (or feature as some might call it) is that if I leave the car unlocked, it will, after a set number of seconds enable the alarm, but it will not engage the locks. The only way to avoid this is to leave a door open or leave the keys in the car. I don't want this "feature". I want to be able to leave my car unlocked and without the alarm enabling itself if I so wish.

I am aware that if I lock my car, I can disable the alarm (once) by selecting it in the menu before I switch off the car, however I'm talking about leaving the car unlocked. Apparently this has something to do with a high number of car-jackings in Belgium? Are the UK cars like this as well?

I could live with the car automatically locking after say a minute. The problem with not locking, but enabling the alarm, is that I forget about this fairly often and thus scare the living daylights out of myself and anyone else present when I open the door. My wife also uses the car when she takes the dog for dog training, and she has to leave the keys in the car when the dog is waiting in there, because if she takes the keys with her the alarm goes off after a minute.

Now, I find it borderline incredible that this can not be fixed anywhere but in an official Jaguar garage in Belgium. Surely an official jag place in Norway, or anywhere else for that matter, should be able to disable this feature in five minutes? I even had to pay my local dealer several hundred euros just for them to spend five hours trying to figure out how to do it, and fail.

I tried contacting Jaguar in Belgium about this to ask if they could send the required software to the local garage (also official Jaguar dealers) but to no surprise haven't heard back.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think it has anything to do with the country where the car came from. All Ipace have this automatic alarm on when you not leave the keys in the car. In the Iguide it mention that if you want do disable this "passive alarm activation" you can ask the dealer to disable it. I asked mine and they told me they are no longer allowed to disable it from Jaguar so they would not do it. I would like to know if anybody else got the dealer to disable this. I also don't like the feature and have got the alarm go off many times due to this.

#3 ·
I'm sure this feature improves security but I find it ridiculous.

1. If I leave the car to plug in to a charger then when I get back into the car a couple of minutes later the alarm will sound.
2. If I leave my family in the car while I go to buy a parking ticket, say, then the alarm sounds when I return and any door is opened.

Is it really meant to passive arm when there are occupants?
That wasn't the case for my MY19.

#5 ·
My car is an import from Belgium. My local dealer/garage in Norway says this «feature» is unknown to them, as it»s not standard on I-paces manufactured for the Norwegian market.

The manual says you can get this function disabled by your Jaguar dealer, but after trying to disable it on my car they told me they would need the Belgian version of whatever software they use to code the car, as their version did not include this setting.

It all sounds very strange to me. Why on earth would Jaguar make lots of different versions of the coding software…

#8 ·
Good morning nyogtha,

Thank you for your post.

I can confirm that 'Passive alarm arming' is a legal requirement for cars manufactured for the Belgium market. This would explain why this feature is on your vehicle, and therefore cannot be disabled.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me via PM, and I would be happy to help.

Thanks, Dan - Jaguar UK

#9 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Good morning nyogtha,

Thank you for your post.

I can confirm that 'Passive alarm arming' is a legal requirement for cars manufactured for the Belgium market. This would explain why this feature is on your vehicle, and therefore cannot be disabled.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me via PM, and I would be happy to help.

Thanks, Dan - Jaguar UK
Hi Dan. Thanks for replying. It's not a legal requirement in Norway and the user manual says it can be disabled by a workshop/dealer. Would it require Belgium-specific tools? My dealer has no idea how to disable it.