Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was curious what other members in the forum here are thinking about how the i-Pace compares to Tesla Model S/X.
I think it is a quite tough choice, to be honest.
The I-Pace has a slightly higher range and is as bit more powerful.
One thing the Tesla has going for it is that it has 7 seats instead of 5, plus I think the battery is more reliable.

What ´do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I looked at the s p100d a while back when considering an EV for the first time.

Build quality was woeful, big panel gaps, the interior looked cheap as did the exterior trim on a car costing £120k.

The X wasn't markedly different in my view and the form factor wasn't for me either it's effectively a people carrier not a SUV.

There were some neat touches but I disliked the control system and the distinctly non premium interior.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I get to travel in the X of my friend regularly so I can make a decent comparison.

No doubt the x is an amazing vehicle…. His has 6 seats but configure it how you like…. It's a great way to travel. Ludicrous plus mode is hilarious and defies what you think is possible from a vehicle of its size. I'll be honest and say I couldn't get to the 165k price tag that his was when ordered so I had to look elsewhere anyway but the interior is not up to 80 years of Jag heritage, nor is the build quality. In fact, for the price point the interior is poor at best.

They are very different cars and at very different prices so it's not fair to compare them like for like…..would I have one? Yes absolutely.

Which is best…. That's subjective, but one thing is for sure the I pace is way better value for money.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We had a Tesla Powerwall installed in the early days of sales in the UK and Tesla supplied an engineer to help the installer. He arrived in a Model S. So big on the outside but not so large on the inside. Also not impressed with the quality or that damn fool iPad to control nearly everything. In short the price of a Bentley for the build quality of a Yugo.

I also know Tesla is great at PR but please, Tesla has relied of Far East battery manufactures like everyone else although I appreciate they are now attempting to build their own.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I did look at the Tesla range closely, to be honest if I had wanted a saloon/sedan I would have chosen the Model S
The Model X was much more expensive and I really did not like those gull wing doors. The Model 3, is cheaper in every way, it looks awful inside and out.
The IPace has the Style, Versatility and Performance that I want, after 12k miles it's been problem free and range anxiety disappeared after about a month

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
DamianP said:
Hey guys,
I was curious what other members in the forum here are thinking about how the i-Pace compares to Tesla Model S/X.
One thing the Tesla has going for it is that it has 7 seats instead of 5, plus I think the battery is more reliable.

What ´do you guys think?
If you want the better EV (Efficiency, Range, Charging & Software) go for Tesla, if you want the better car (quality, drivability/handling, fun to drive etc) choose the I-pace.

I am a bit confused by your message as unless you are looking at used cars, the Tesla has bigger battery, longer range and more power, the I-pace battery is more reliable as it is being over protected by the BMS (set too restrictive).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I cross shopped the Model S with the I Pace. Even though it's been around for a long time, I think the MS looks nice on the outside and the exterior design has held up well. The interior design and general build quality on the MS is a horror show and the I Pace is *much* better in this regard.

I also didn't like the over-reliance on the touchscreen and the fact that Tesla doesn't allow for CarPlay or Android Auto.

I've been driving BEVs for a while, so I know what I need for range and the I Pace makes the cut, but not by much. The MS will go farther and the SuperCharger network is nice, but we keep an ICE vehicle for long trips. If I was trying to use a BEV is my only car, I would lean towards the Tesla as its better range and the SuperCharger network would make a big difference in that use case.

As for the battery pack, the MS is more aggressive in how it uses the battery and I think you should expect non-trivial degradation, but it generally seems to stay below 10% reduction. I have no measurable degradation on my I Pace after 29,000 miles.

Finally, and I'll admit this is not completely rational, but there is a small part of me that just didn't want to be associated with Tesla. The fact that regulators have allowed Auto Pilot to be beta tested on the public or that Tesla's arrogance would even attempt it, is more than a little disturbing. And I'm sure it's a minority of owners, but there is a very loud contingent of Tesla fans on the internet and social media that are simply embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
DamianP said:
Hey guys,

What ´do you guys think?
If you want the better EV (Efficiency, Range, Charging & Software) go for Tesla, if you want the better car (quality, drivability/handling, fun to drive etc) choose the I-pace.

I am a bit confused by your message as unless you are looking at used cars, the Tesla has bigger battery, longer range and more power, the I-pace battery is more reliable as it is being over protected by the BMS (set too restrictive).
Not all of the Teslas have larger range as I understand it and they play just as many games with their range estimates and other performance characters (or more so) than other manufacturers.

Charging is definitely a plus for distance driving, although the positive aspects of the Tesla charging and battery management probably comeback to bit used buyers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me, the IPACE is more comparable with the Model 3 LR. That's the car I was looking at before buying the Jag. With the MY21 incentives the HSE and the M3LR were about the same price, in fact the HSE ended up slightly cheaper. I'm talking financed price not sticker price. Same deposit, similar balloon, less per month in the HSE. The Model S/X are in a different price bracket entirely.

The M3LR felt faster, with more surge. The Jag felt more comfy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Back in 2018 when really the only choices were Model S, Model X and I-Pace, it took about 30 seconds sitting in the I-Pace, after having test-driven the Model X, to make the decision. The MX was overpriced and under quality compared to the Jag. I didn't get round to test driving the Model S as there was no point because the choice had already been made.
Have since looked at Model 3 in the showroom and thought that was poor quality for the price too.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Zero71 said:
For me, the IPACE is more comparable with the Model 3 LR. That's the car I was looking at before buying the Jag. With the MY21 incentives the HSE and the M3LR were about the same price, in fact the HSE ended up slightly cheaper. I'm talking financed price not sticker price. Same deposit, similar balloon, less per month in the HSE. The Model S/X are in a different price bracket entirely.

The M3LR felt faster, with more surge. The Jag felt more comfy.
The only thing the M3 is comparable on is price, overall size and space is not on a par let alone interior and exterior quality (but you could say that throughout the Tesla range).

The closest Tesla equivalent to the Jag is the S not the 3 despite the pricing, its got similar internal dimensions and boot space. The X isn't really comparable to anything it is a people carrier masquerading as a SUV.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agree with you beagle, on the interior. It's why we ended up with the Ipace rather than the M3LR - the interior is just so much better and bigger in the IPace. As you say, a problem across the entire range. The M3LR felt much quicker than the Ipace though, that's our only disappointment. I'd have quite liked the Model X, but financially it just comes nowhere near the Ipace and was well outside my budget. It was really the M3LR or the Ipace (and my wife isn't a Tesla fan).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts