Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else surprised at the width of the I Pace?

The concept was 1890 wide and during the launch yesterday Ian Callum stated:
The final car is 12mm narrower and 12mm lower than the concept. "The concept had to be exaggerated," said Callum.

Yet the published width of car is now 2011mm with mirrors folded. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
For me, the relatively modest dimensions were a big attraction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I was also surprised.
My F Pace is too wide so I was very pleased to see the Concept car listed at 1890 wide, but I was not pleased at all to see the configurator listing it as wider even than the F Pace?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That pre-launch overhead teaser shot of the E-I-F Pace together clearly shows (and you can scale it) that the I Pace is not as wide as the F Pace. Strange

·
Registered
243 Posts
JonnyVtec said:
The width will be declared based on the Mirrors folded but it's liklely the mirrors are still the widest measurement.

I would guess the body width is now 1878?
No, see p48 of the PDF brochure (presumably the same as the paper one, if such a thing exists?). As sequential says the body width is 2011; across the mirrors is 2139 - unless the published figures are wrong, but that's doubtful. The body is pretty chunky, at least in width. That's probably enough to stop me ordering one...along with a price that's about £10K too high.

Edit: well. thinking about it, cost along with dubious Jaguar build quality, but this one is made in Austria isn't it? So may well be OK. But otherwise it would be tempting enough for me to take a punt, once the queue dies down a bit and hopefully some discounts kick in..

·
Registered
243 Posts
JonnyVtec said:
It's body width isn't wider than a Range Rover!
2018 RR looks like 1990 (body width exc mirrors) or 2220 (inc mirrors) if online specs are to be believed. So i-pace width is either more or less than RR, depending on which measurement is of most interest. Either way, RR is a pretty big bus to compare to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inside EVs have the following technical spec:
Width excluding mirrors 1895. That seems more believable.

Jaguar I-PACE EV400 - Technical Data
ELECTRIC MOTORS
Configuration Two permanent magnet electric motors; synchronous
Single-speed epicyclic transmission; concentric with motor

Power PS (kW) 200 (147)
Torque Nm (lb ft) 348 (256)
Total system power PS (kW) 400 (294)
Total system torque Nm (lb ft) 696 (512)
DRIVETRAIN
Configuration Motor and transmission integrated into front and rear axles;
Electric all-wheel drive

BATTERY
Configuration 90kWh Li-ion; liquid-cooled; pouch cells
Number of cells / modules 432 / 36
Charging 0-100% on AC 7kW (hours) 12.9
Charging 0-80% on AC 7kW (hours) 10
Charging 0-80% on DC 100kW (mins) 40
CHASSIS
Front suspension Double wishbone
Rear suspension Integral Link
Front brake diameter (mm) 350 (Ventilated)
Rear brake diameter (mm) 325 (Ventilated)
Springs Air or coil
Dampers Continuously-variable or passive
Steering Rack-and-pinion; electromechanical
DIMENSIONS
Length (mm) 4,682
Width incl. / exl. mirrors (mm) 2,139 / 1,895
Height (mm) 1,565
Wheelbase (mm) 2,990
Front track (mm) 1,624 - 1,643
Rear track (mm) 1,647 - 1,663
Weight; EU Unladen (kg) From 2,208
Weight; DIN (kg) From 2,133
Luggage compartment volume (litres) 656 plus 27 (front)
PERFORMANCE AND RANGE
0-60mph (sec) 4.5
0-100km/h (sec) 4.8
Top speed mph (km/h) 124 (200)
Range (WLTP) Up to 480km
Manufacturer's figures; correct at time press

·
Registered
148 Posts
There still seems to be something odd going on with the width dimensions of Jaguar models on their web site. Since the iPace is so new I took a look at the XF dimensions instead, inc mirrors 2091mm, exc mirrors 1987mm. Then I browsed through loads of car web sites such as, What Car, Auto Express, Parkers etc etc many only have the 2091mm figure but for those that show the exc mirrors measurement they all have 1880mm. My friend has an XF so I've asked him to measure his!

·
Registered
243 Posts
JonnyVtec said:
Doesn't mean it's correct... as it's not.
Comment like that doesn't mean much I'm afraid if you don't have a source to quote, but maybe you do? i-Pace would definitely go up in my estimation if it was indeed eg 1895 (ex mirrors) but the only _official_ information available suggests 2011. Though, that said, in day-to-day driving it's the width across the mirrors that counts and we seem to be agreed on the 2139 figure there, which remains pretty broad in the beam.

·
Registered
148 Posts
OK, I feel pretty confident that the following is correct. I walked round our local Jaguar dealer this morning and saw with my own eyes that when the mirrors are folded on the XE, XF, E-Pace and F-Pace they are still wider than the bodywork. So each car, and presumably the I-Pace as well, has three widths, excluding mirrors, mirrors folded and including mirrors. The Jaguar web site width dimensions are described as "mirrors folded" and "including mirrors". I also used this web site https://www.automobiledimension.com/jaguar-car-dimensions.html which gives dimensions of all new cars (not the iPace yet) and describes the widths it shows as "excluding mirrors" it also shows the "including mirrors" dimension in brackets All the Jaguar dimensions on this site for the cars above match the Jaguar web site to the mm with the exception of the "excluding mirrors" widths which are all less that the Jaguar "mirrors folded" dimensions. So my conclusion is that the concept dimension of 1890mm on the first post of this thread is an "excluding mirrors" dimension. Taking the average size of the folded mirrors on all the cars above I get about 110mm which would give the launch iPace an excluding mirrors dimension of 1900mm this looks good compared to the 1895mm from Inside EVs in one of the posts above.

FYI the figures (assuming 1895mm for the iPace) are:-

XE 1850, 1967, 2075
XF 1880, 1987, 2091
E-Pace 1900, 1984, 2088
F-Pace 1936, 2070, 2175
I-Pace 1895, 2011, 2139

Hope that helps.

Nigel

·
Registered
243 Posts
The problem I have with this theory is that it doesn't seem to tally with the schematic on p48 of the i-Pace brochure. This clearly (if you believe the picture, at least) shows the 2011 dimension as being the maximum bodywork width at roughly headlamp height or, presumably, the crease that runs along the side of the car. The mirrors are some way away from the width at this point. That said, the picture does make the lower sides look fairly flat (ie vertical) from the ground up to past the crease, when the width starts to narrow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know exactly what you mean but equally that front on view, where the width measurements are shown, is pretty meaningless in terms of trying to ascertain what the measurement refers to. Because of the perspective it looks as if the mirrors are the same width as the car body even when they are unfolded. Be interesting to get the facts as and when someone can actually measure the car for us!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.