Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
folks,

if you had to buy an EV SUV, would you still go for the I-Pace?

i rated a few EV SUVs for range and comfort and the ones that stood out are:

Ioniq 5, EV 6
VW ID 4 (but got very boring looks)

Mustang Mach E and Model Y have bouncy rides afaik.

will love your insights!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Polestar 3 or the new Lotus SUV as soon as my lease ends in May 24. Porsche Macan EV has an outside chance but doubt it will be ground breaking.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I did have to buy a new EV SUV.
I looked at all the above, but I bought a BMW IX3.
The only reason I didn't consider another I-Pace this time round was that I couldn't justify the price of £86k for a fully loaded HSE equivalent to my current First Edition.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got another 18 months to wait before mine goes back. I will be very interested to see what the production Lotus Eletre is like (I suspect the final price, with options will be around £120k), failing that I will likely go for a Taycan. Would I rule out an updated I-Pace? No. I really like mine, but I am concerned they lack the resources to keep pushing forward. Hopefully I'm wrong in this regard...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Genesis GV60 sports plus

• Wow
Reactions: Tangellow5

·
Registered
841 Posts
Due a change next year, probably another IPace or keep current car, we have no idea what will actually be available in 12 months time. If I ordered one it would have less kit than I have now, other brands have the same problem.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've driven most of todays premium SUV EV's and haven't find any better so far as I-Pace. So probably I-Pace black today would be a good choice. That would be here about 10.000€ cheaper to kit up than HSE. Still waiting Range Rover EV, Velar would be nice but maybe 2024 we get Sport EV first.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an I-Pace since last week and ultimately chose it over the following options I had shortlisted.

Audi Q4
Volvo XC40
Volvo C40
Mercedes EQA
VW ID.4
Skoda Enyaq
Mustang MachE
Tesla Model Y
Tesla Model 3
Hyundai Ioniq 5
Kia EV 6
BMW iX 40
BMW iX3
Audi E-Tron 55 Sportback
Polestar 2

Of the above the only ones I didn’t actually test drive were, the Polestar 2 (not practical enough), Skoda Enyaq (styling), BMW iX (styling) and the Model Y. (Boring interior and terrible ride quality). The I-Pace was one of the last I tested because I had been convinced it charged too slow and was too inefficient. Yet when I did the maths It worked out only about £12 per month more expensive to run than a Model Y, but was £45 per month cheaper to lease. Not to mention a far nicer car. And ultimately I only do 2 or 3 longer distance trips per year. IMHO It is irrational to pick a car you don’t like for those 0.1% of journeys.

Each had their strengths and weaknesses but ultimately the I-Pace wins in many areas and still holds up well despite many people assuming it’s outdated. It might not be the most efficient and it doesn’t charge as fast but neither will matter to the vast majority of people on the vast majority of drives.

Incidentally each of these cars were within 10% - 15% of lease costs through my work salary sacrifice. So cost was not a major factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an I-Pace since last week and ultimately chose it over the following options I had shortlisted.

Audi Q4
Volvo XC40
Volvo C40
Mercedes EQA
VW ID.4
Skoda Enyaq
Mustang MachE
Tesla Model Y
Tesla Model 3
Hyundai Ioniq 5
Kia EV 6
BMW iX 40
BMW iX3
Audi E-Tron 55 Sportback
Polestar 2

Of the above the only ones I didn’t actually test drive were, the Polestar 2 (not practical enough), Skoda Enyaq (styling), BMW iX (styling) and the Model Y. (Boring interior and terrible ride quality). The I-Pace was one of the last I tested because I had been convinced it charged too slow and was too inefficient. Yet when I did the maths It worked out only about £12 per month more expensive to run than a Model Y, but was £45 per month cheaper to lease. Not to mention a far nicer car. And ultimately I only do 2 or 3 longer distance trips per year. IMHO It is irrational to pick a car you don’t like for those 0.1% of journeys.

Each had their strengths and weaknesses but ultimately the I-Pace wins in many areas and still holds up well despite many people assuming it’s outdated. It might not be the most efficient and it doesn’t charge as fast but neither will matter to the vast majority of people on the vast majority of drives.

Incidentally each of these cars were within 10% - 15% of lease costs through my work salary sacrifice. So cost was not a major factor.
how comfortable were the rides? can you rate that if you don't mind and remember? very interested in that aspect.:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am coming from an E-Tron 50 and with air suspension set to dynamic, it is about the same as an I-Pace on 20" alloys with stock suspension.

Honestly the E-Tron and BMW iX 40 would be the most comfortable but it is not night and day better than say an I-Pace on stock suspension, or the EQA and XC40 for example. It was not until you go to the Model Y and Model 3 I started to notice the very rough ride quality. So if I were to rate vaguely from best to worst.

Best

Audi E-Tron 55 Sportback (any fat E-Tron)
I-Pace on air suspension
BMW iX 40

All still very smooth and comfortable and would be hard to separate these to any large degree

BMW iX3
Volvo XC40
Volvo C40
Mercedes EQA
I-Pace on stock suspension
Audi Q4
VW ID.4
Skoda Enyaq
Kia EV 6
Polestar 2

Anything below was either too soft or too sporty or just plain bad. (Teslas)

Very soft and wallowy for me

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Too sporty

Mustang Mach-E

Poor

Tesla Model 3
Tesla Model Y

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am coming from an E-Tron 50 and with air suspension set to dynamic, it is about the same as an I-Pace on 20" alloys with stock suspension.

Honestly the E-Tron and BMW iX 40 would be the most comfortable but it is not night and day better than say an I-Pace on stock suspension, or the EQA and XC40 for example. It was not until you go to the Model Y and Model 3 I started to notice the very rough ride quality. So if I were to rate vaguely from best to worst.

Best
Audi E-Tron 55 Sportback (any fat E-Tron)
I-Pace on air suspension
BMW iX 40

All still very smooth and comfortable and would be hard to separate these to any large degree
BMW iX3
Volvo XC40
Volvo C40
Mercedes EQA
I-Pace on stock suspension
Audi Q4
VW ID.4
Skoda Enyaq
Kia EV 6
Polestar 2

Anything below was either too soft or too sporty or just plain bad. (Teslas)

Very soft and wallowy for me
Hyundai Ioniq 5

Too sporty
Mustang Mach-E

Poor
Tesla Model 3
Tesla Model Y
thanks. that's a lot of test drives you took!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Started testing in July last year as I knew wait times were up to 10 months for most of them. Decided on a Q4 at one point but it fell through and I went and tested the I-Pace and instantly thought how I may have doged a bullet. The I-Pace was just better in every important metric for me.

I even tested some after my I-Pace order was confirmed. Just wanted to be sure I was not missing out and ultimately decided I wasn't.

·
Registered
I-PACE SE EV400 Caesium Blue - Ordered April 2022
6 Posts
I test drove :

Audi Q4 - Didn't like the ride or driving position
Mercedes EQA - Nice car but tiny boot
BMW I4 - Enjoyed this car, well spec'd and great to drive.

I was torn between the BMW and the Ipace but I got a much better deal on the Ipace. (BMW PCP was 6.8%, Jaguar was 1.9%) That made the decision to go for the Ipace easy given that I really liked both cars.

·
Registered
841 Posts
the IPace suits me fine but if I decided to go downmarket the Kia, or up market Taycan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts