Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://insideevs.com/news/538946/ionity-passport-charging-network-subscription/

It is rather similar to the EVWay offer that I have taken, €199 per year to charge for €0.39 at Ionity. The Ionity subscription is slightly better but the EVWay app allows you to charge at much more places so it is more 1 solution for all your public charging.

Quoted from article:
The price is €17.99 per month (12-month period required) including VAT, plus €0.35/kWh or an equivalent in other currencies.

As we can see, the new rate per kWh is more than two times lower, but at €17.99 per month it requires to charge at least about 41 kWh per month or over 490 kWh per year to be on par. That's probably more than 10 solid, fast-charging sessions.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
https://insideevs.com/news/538946/ionity-passport-charging-network-subscription/

It is rather similar to the EVWay offer that I have taken, €199 per year to charge for €0.39 at Ionity. The Ionity subscription is slightly better but the EVWay app allows you to charge at much more places so it is more 1 solution for all your public charging.

Quoted from article:
The price is €17.99 per month (12-month period required) including VAT, plus €0.35/kWh or an equivalent in other currencies.

As we can see, the new rate per kWh is more than two times lower, but at €17.99 per month it requires to charge at least about 41 kWh per month or over 490 kWh per year to be on par. That's probably more than 10 solid, fast-charging sessions.
The deal is slightly better in Norway, €19.00 per month (12-month period required) including VAT, plus €0.25/kWh

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maxwell_400 said:
Jelle v/d Meer said:
The deal is slightly better in Norway, €19.00 per month (12-month period required) including VAT, plus €0.25/kWh
The Norway deal is indeed better as the saving is greater from €0.84 to €0.25 so a 70% saving versus 55% saving in EUR countries or just 49% in UK.

With the Norway deal you only need 323kWh per year is needed to breakeven versus EUR countries 491 kWh.
To that extend the deal is worse for UK, pay £16.99 per month for a £0.34 saving requires 600kWh to reach breakeven.

An open question is what do you pay per kWh if you have a Norway subscription and charge in UK or Europe? Will that be the Norway rate of 2.50 NOK/kWh (€0.25/kWh) or the local rate of £0.35/kWh or €0.35/kWh.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've never had to charge with Ionity so I think I'll wait until they figure out how to lower their "pay as you go" rates to be aligned with the competition. Which is around 30c per kWh without subscription where I'm at. I'm sure they will tire of empty charger hubs eventually.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
An open question is what do you pay per kWh if you have a Norway subscription and charge in UK or Europe? Will that be the Norway rate of 2.50 NOK/kWh (€0.25/kWh) or the local rate of £0.35/kWh or €0.35/kWh.
I am pretty sure one have to pay the local rate, as an example Finland pays per minute, €0.35/min.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In Germany there's the EWE Go mobility card which costs 9,90€ per year, then you pay 0,54 €/kWh at Ionity (compared to Ionity direct 0,79 €/ kWh). So after about 40 kWh of charging the cost of the card is covered.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just don't charge there and watch them reduce the price to smth like the rest of the market.
It's exactly what triggered this offer.
I never see anyone charge there because others are as good and a lot cheaper

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EEV320 said:
Just don't charge there and watch them reduce the price to smth like the rest of the market.
It's exactly what triggered this offer.
I never see anyone charge there because others are as good and a lot cheaper
Well since end of 2018 I have charged more than 4,000kWh at Ionity and the most I so far paid was €0.39 per KWh and so far the average rate has been €0.1834 per kWh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In France, you pay by the minute (0.79€ per min).

Great if you own a Taycan, not so great if you own an I-Pace :roll:

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
But still, in the UK, Gridserve pay as you go at 30p per Kwh means I will not go near Ionity.

·
Registered
712 Posts
With my Hyundai ioniq 5 project 45. I get 2 years free at IONITY with 25p per kWh. So very happy.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NeilR said:
In France, you pay by the minute (0.79€ per min).

Great if you own a Taycan, not so great if you own an I-Pace :roll:
Very true - still amazed that charging companies are forced by law to charge the rate per minute.
Imagine you coming at a petrol station and the diesel rate is per minute, I would expect that transport companies would love it but the rest not.

That said I would still prefer paying €0.79 per minute at Ionity than €0.79 per kWh while driving an I-pace. As long as your average charge speed is above 60kW/hour it is cheaper and so far my average over 87 sessions has been 78.4 kWh/hour. On top of that I would likely change my charging behavior by making more stops charging to lower SoC % same as when you paid per charging session I tended to make fewer but longer charging stops.

Obviously the most logical and fair rate mechanism is per kWh - wondering why France and Finland still have not changed it, same applies to some States in the US by the way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I subscribed yesterday having calculated I need to charge with 50kWh per month to make it worth while. A single trip south and back and I usually charge at least 60kWh at Leeds so it makes sense. On the way south yesterday 3 of 6 units were out of service and the other 3 were all in use with 5 cars in a queue for the next unit to come free. As I was on a 340 mile journey I elected note to wait in the queue but moved to an Instavolt a further 30 miles down the road.

I have written a polite email to Ionity customer services complaining about the reliability of charging at Leeds though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had to use Ionity today although it went against the grain paying so much. No upgrade of Gridserve unit at Greta and unable to get a charge so no practical alternative. Only 2 of the 4 Ionity units working.
A lot less hassle than Charge Place Scotland where we travelled 800 miles plus and spent over 1 hour in 4 phone calls for assistance in getting a charge at various locations. The Mrs wasn't a happy bunny.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had to use Ionity today although it went against the grain paying so much. No upgrade of Gridserve unit at Greta and unable to get a charge so no practical alternative. Only 2 of the 4 Ionity units working.
Do you need a card or app for Ionity, or can I just used debit card or Apple Pay to use it? Planning to stopping at Gretna on the way to Surrey over Xmas. Thx.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts