Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner but with a good working knowledge of electronics. I have an Approved Used (Dec 2020) HSE and the purchase papers say it has an 11kW charger onboard.
Fairly modern house with single phase 240V supply and recently had PodPoint Solo 3 (7kW) installed.
The car is only charging at between 2-2.5 kW from the PodPoint (The Jaguar Remote App gives this as 4 miles/hour)
My own calculations and tests suggest that if the car is charging at 7kW, this should be giving around 19 miles/hour. The granny charger is rated at 2.4kW and when used is also shown in the app as 4 miles/hour charge rate (should be around 7).
The battery is not full (which can slow the charge rate) and it's warm when I run my tests. There are no other high power appliances drawing power which might switch the PodPoint off.
I tried the 7kW AC charging post at my Jaguar dealership (which they said is capped at 3.5-4kW) and it added 7 miles to the range in one hour which again equates to around 2.5kW.
PodPoint did a 'remote reset' of their unit which hasn't improved matters.
DC fast charging at motorway services etc is fine.
My suspicion is that the car's built in AC-DC convertor/charger (software issue?) is limiting the charge rate from an AC source down to nothing more than granny charger rates.
I've taken this up with the dealership and may get a demo car to try at home to see if it is the PodPoint (which I doubt).

Has anyone come across this before? There don't seem to be any settings I can alter to stop the car throttling the AC charge rate.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
no iPace before the MY21 could support 3 phase 11Kwh home charging. The capability wasn't included until the MY21 was delivered in Oct 20. Earlier cars I think had a max charge rate of 7Kwh, which is the max single phase charge rate (and the max possible for the vast majority of UK domestic installations). So your purchase details referred to the new model capability not the old, which is rather naughty of the dealer.

The other behaviour is weird though if you have single phase you should be getting 7 Kwh (mine shows as 7,2 Kwh), There may be 2 thing happening, firstly it is a charge point installation or setting issue (some chargers have internal switches that limit charge speed), which your installer should be able to diagnose and fix.

If you know for sure that the charger is working properly then it may be a car issue. My money would be on a charger issue though.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I'm a new owner but with a good working knowledge of electronics. I have an Approved Used (Dec 2020) HSE and the purchase papers say it has an 11kW charger onboard.
Fairly modern house with single phase 240V supply and recently had PodPoint Solo 3 (7kW) installed.
The car is only charging at between 2-2.5 kW from the PodPoint (The Jaguar Remote App gives this as 4 miles/hour)
My own calculations and tests suggest that if the car is charging at 7kW, this should be giving around 19 miles/hour. The granny charger is rated at 2.4kW and when used is also shown in the app as 4 miles/hour charge rate (should be around 7).
The battery is not full (which can slow the charge rate) and it's warm when I run my tests. There are no other high power appliances drawing power which might switch the PodPoint off.
I tried the 7kW AC charging post at my Jaguar dealership (which they said is capped at 3.5-4kW) and it added 7 miles to the range in one hour which again equates to around 2.5kW.
PodPoint did a 'remote reset' of their unit which hasn't improved matters.
DC fast charging at motorway services etc is fine.
My suspicion is that the car's built in AC-DC convertor/charger (software issue?) is limiting the charge rate from an AC source down to nothing more than granny charger rates.
I've taken this up with the dealership and may get a demo car to try at home to see if it is the PodPoint (which I doubt).

Has anyone come across this before? There don't seem to be any settings I can alter to stop the car throttling the AC charge rate.
Has your Pod Point charger unit been set to deliver 7Kw? There is a DIP switch in the charger unit which by default seems to be set to low and has to be changed.

Reactions: Tangellow5

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has your Pod Point charger unit been set to deliver 7Kw? There is a DIP switch in the charger unit which by default seems to be set to low and has to be changed.
This. The tech had set it to "7.2kw" but for the 3 phase which equates to 2.4 for single phase. Found the dip switch config on the internet for the podpoint ev charger, changed the dip switches to 7.2kw (single phase) and I'm now getting around 22 miles per hour.

I've heard some nonsense about warranty etc but PP customer service was a waste of time and it's a 5 min job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts