Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I bought a new IPACE in late April. I got the home charging point installed a week or so later. The charger worked once. A couple of days later I tried to charge and the mini fuse box that was installed with the charging point tripped and the unit would not charge. The company who installed the charger have been out at least 3 times at this stage, they have changed the charging point out with a new one and that did not work, same problem. They came back and installed a different charging box but still the same issue. Once it’s plugged into the car the fuse trips on the charging point.The suppliers of the charging point are saying it’s an issue with the car. Has anyone seen this before? Currently I’m charging at a local service station but that’s not sustainable. Any advise from anyone? Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried another type 2 charger and does that work? If yes then looks to be electrical issue, not the car. If no, then get Jaguar Assist out and tell them Type 2 charging not working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried another type 2 charger and does that work? If yes then looks to be electrical issue, not the car. If no, then get Jaguar Assist out and tell them Type 2 charging not working.
Thanks, I tried a friends type 2 charger and it didn’t work, just stuck on “initialising” no charge, I’m bringing it back to the garage on Friday. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I
Did they change the fuse in the actual meter cupboard (not just your consumer unit)? It has to be 100 w I think.
Hi, thanks for the reply, no they didn’t go near the house fuseboard, I asked them but they said they did not even need to look at it, it’s going back to Jaguar on Friday. Thanks

·
Registered
I-PACE SE EV400 Caesium Blue - Ordered April 2022
6 Posts
I

Hi, thanks for the reply, no they didn’t go near the house fuseboard, I asked them but they said they did not even need to look at it, it’s going back to Jaguar on Friday. Thanks
I think that may be the issue. See picture below. The fuse highlighted is 100A. That had to be upgraded to supply the charger.

Electrical wiring Electricity Cable Technology Electrical supply

·
Registered
Ipace HSE 2020 MY
66 Posts
That wouldn't stop the car charging unless the charger has a clamp and its reading a very thin load on the house. Normal fuse size in older houses is 60A I increased mine to 100A but if that's not possible the charger can reduce its load if necessary,

·
Registered
6 Posts
That wouldn't stop the car charging unless the charger has a clamp and its reading a very thin load on the house. Normal fuse size in older houses is 60A I increased mine to 100A but if that's not possible the charger can reduce its load if necessary,
It can if they’ve put a meter on the incoming supply to measure what’s being used - normally a little cube around the cable - blue in mine.

The incoming supply doesn’t need to be 100A. Mine’s 80A, but I’m about to pay to uprate it to 100A - EV chargers (probably two in future), future heat pumps, electric oven, induction hob, hot tub, etc, 80A soon disappears.

·
Registered
Ipace HSE 2020 MY
66 Posts
It can if they’ve put a meter on the incoming supply to measure what’s being used - normally a little cube around the cable - blue in mine.

The incoming supply doesn’t need to be 100A. Mine’s 80A, but I’m about to pay to uprate it to 100A - EV chargers (probably two in future), future heat pumps, electric oven, induction hob, hot tub, etc, 80A soon disappears.
You shouldn't have to pay the DNO to upgrade to 100A, you may need to increase the size of your tails to 25mm if they are not already that large.

UK Power networks have a good video explaining who needs to do what.

I upgraded my meter to smart meters as that allowed me to get the increased tail sized between cut off fuse and meter and meter to Switch so my electrician could change the tails to the distribution board. If you dont have a surge protector built into the Distribution Board you can get one thats built into the Switch, just buy one and get the Smart meter installer to use it instead of his none surge protected switch. Wylex 100A DP Supply Isolator c/w Type 2 SPD | Wylex (REC2SPD)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting!

NPg has quoted me about £150+VAT to change. To do so, they came out to check the tails, and existing fuse, including pulling out the thing. Why they couldn’t have just done it there and then is beyond me!

·
Registered
305 Posts
(apologies if you have already done this) but I assume you have confirmed that there is no departure time set on the car as that will stop it charging straight away on a type 2 point.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure where you live, but if there is another EV owner with a Type 2 wallbox, it would be worth a visit: it would tell you whether it really is a fault within the car or your home electrics.. I live in south Devon so probably not much use to you, but work in Beaconsfield where we have a 7KW box you could try! (Do you have a granny charger as that might work at home..).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure where you live, but if there is another EV owner with a Type 2 wallbox, it would be worth a visit: it would tell you whether it really is a fault within the car or your home electrics.. I live in south Devon so probably not much use to you, but work in Beaconsfield where we have a 7KW box you could try! (Do you have a granny charger as that might work at home..).
Thanks but I live In Ireland, bringing the car back to Jaguar tomorrow to investigate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think I’ve got the same issue - this is my second I-PACE, this one was only delivered 2 weeks ago. ….it’s been fine for two weeks not plugged car in at home last night and it didn’t charge (didn’t realise until this morning) tried again this evening it it trips the electricity each time…. So I then drive off to Tesco and tried each of the 4 chargers there - it tripped the charger each time ie flashed up a recharge ing time for 1 second but then went back to initialisation….. I’ve called jaguar assist and they are coming out tomorrow - I’m guessing that’s not the sort of thing they’ll be able to fix at the house and could do without losing the car whilst they sort at garage - I had the heater problem last winter and it was in there a couple of months

·
Registered
50 Posts
Update ! Jaguar came out to it this pm -as ever extreneky nice/helpful person. He couldn’t sort but thinks it may have to do with a software update that I downloaded during the week (possibly) it’s fling into Stockport Tuesday so I’m now trying to agree an I-PACE replacement with them - wish me luck !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Update from jaguar stockport - a high voltage part (??) has blown and needs to be replaced !! … hopefully I’ll get a timeline tomorrow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts