Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just something that's been nagging at me since launch. I know the argument about airflow clearing the rear screen but I've often wondered what it's like when you first get into your car in the rain and you can't see out the back, or if the window is actually dirt and you want to use a rear washer. Now that people in Europe have their I-paces, what's the general opinion on using the car in wet weather? Does the lack of rear wiper pose any issues or were Jag correct in saying that the airflow clears it with no issues?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Until now it has not been a problem for me. The backward view is pretty minimal whatsoever, this doesn't seem te become even less when it rains.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Personally, I think no rear wiper is a crazy cheapskate economy. Even if you believe the airflow argument, that can only apply if you're moving at eg 30mph or more. What happens when the car is stationary or travelling slowly?

And what is much more of a problem around these more rural parts is the amount of mud on the road from the considerable amount of tractors and trailers that are constantly on the go pretty much year-round. Not so bad when the roads are dry, but come a rainy day and there's a thin muddy spray constantly being thrown up on the screens, especially from passing HGVs.

In my book it's probably the single worst design fault on the I-Pace.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Not just an economy. I think it looks better without rear wiper.
I drove under rain and this was not a problem. Anyway side mirrors are more usefully than rear window.
If u drive very slow or stationary u can use back camera.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is not a problem for me. Sometimes you wish you had it, but generally not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
There is very limited vision from the rear window as it is, add a wiper & you will probably reduce that by at least another 50%.

This is not a problem for me, I am happy using wing mirrors.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Was planning to use a hydrophobic coating also for that reason. Good to know that most seem to be ok without it. For what it's worth, my suspicion is that the wiper was not left off because of cost savings or because of aesthetic reasons. My suspicion is that it was left off for aerodynamic reasons.

·
Registered
185 Posts
wilco said:
There is very limited vision from the rear window as it is, add a wiper & you will probably reduce that by at least another 50%.
This was one of the reasons I didn't specify Privacy Glass - on the test car I drove it had privacy glass and even on a very sunny (for England) day I could hardly see a thing through the rear view mirror - the darkness of the glass seemed to be amplified by its sharp angle.
It will be interesting to see if clear glass makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Blackseries said:
wilco said:
This was one of the reasons I didn't specify Privacy Glass - on the test car I drove it had privacy glass and even on a very sunny (for England) day I could hardly see a thing through the rear view mirror - the darkness of the glass seemed to be amplified by its sharp angle.
It will be interesting to see if clear glass makes any difference.
During the Paris Motor Show i was confirmed on JLR booth that a clear glass was much
better , which i have in myI Pace and the rear view is good enough for me

·
Registered
185 Posts
emgf said:
During the Paris Motor Show i was confirmed on JLR booth that a clear glass was much
better , which i have in myI Pace and the rear view is good enough for me
Thats good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Glad I ordered clear glass :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am glad there is no back wiper as in my opinion is not necessary. Makes the car look even sleeker. Also have had no issues with rain.
Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
Appreciate this is an ancient thread

I recently read there is no rear wiper to save weight. Also it is not needed as due to aerodynamics - water should just run of the rear glass.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
233 Posts
No problem at all!
Can perfectly do without a wiper.
Clear glass is recommendable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts