Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

JAGUAR I-PACE: Charging Points

41K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  Jjohnfuller1 
#1 ·
Good Morning

We have experienced many I-PACE customers that have queries relating to public charging networks. As a result we would like to inform our customer base of the platforms that we recommend when locating charging networks across the UK.

For both Apple and Android users we would recommend the following:

Zap-Map

www.zap-map.com

Zap-Map is the UK's leading charging point platform with over 80,000 cross-platform visitors each month. In addition to the charge point map, Zap-Map provides supporting information on charging and electric vehicles to help current or prospective EV drivers to make more informed choices and enjoy their electric motoring experience.

This app is available on both Google Play for Android and App Store for IOS.

Polar

www.polar-network.com

Polar is the largest network of electric vehicle charging points in the UK. Polar is a subscription based membership service that allows you to charge at over 6,500 points across the UK for just £7.95 per month.

This app is available on both Google Play for Android and App Store for IOS.

Further to this, please be sure to also visit our Online Range Calculator when planning a journey.

https://www.jaguar.com/jaguar-range/i-pace/electric-vehicles/index.html

Should you have any further questions regarding the extensive charging networks across the country, please do not hesitate to contact CRC@Jaguar.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

See less See more
#3 ·
You cannot self activate ACP or AA, not can it be installed as part of a SOTA update

It can only be activated by a dealer when they are also updating your InControl software via their pathfinder tool.

They just have to tick a box to install and activate it as part of the InControl update.

It is also region dependant. So not available everywhere.

#4 ·
I think only AA is region dependant. I believe (might be wrong mind you) that CarPlay is available in all markets.

Edit: There may be regions where mapping doesn't work though (but the rest of CarPlay should). I used to live in the UAE, and turn by turn directions were not available on Apple Maps (although the whole country was mapped and it did appear correctly on Apple Maps). Not sure why, but even though the map was complete, no driving directions were available. I have a feeling that is no longer the case in the UAE though, but (again) I could be wrong! There are probably other countries where this applies though.

G
#7 ·
Goshdarnit said:
I have a question about the "extensive charging networks across the country" Dan. Why doesn't the I-Pace actually work with most of them (in this case, the country is Scotland)?
Absolutely support you on this one Goshdarnit! This is a simple question but one with very important implications.

#8 ·
Goshdarnit said:
I think only AA is region dependant. I believe (might be wrong mind you) that CarPlay is available in all markets.
After a bit of back and forth with the JLR customer service here in Belgium, I finally managed to get (more or less) to the bottom of the actual problem.
It is not related to non-availability of AA in the local Google Play, although a lot of dealers AND customer service like to lie about it.
It is simply because JLR is too cheap to buy the Dutch language license of the software controlling the connection with AA on our phone. And because my car came with Dutch as a base language, ...
If I would live 30 kilometers to the South, then I would have gotten a car with French as base language. Since JLR bought the software license for French, then they would have been able to enable it. So happy to have paid near to 100.000 euro for this car...
The I-Pace is a great car but I have never experienced a company with such poor customer service orientation. My next car will definitely not be a Jaguar.

#9 ·
ricardon said:
Goshdarnit said:
After a bit of back and forth with the JLR customer service here in Belgium, I finally managed to get (more or less) to the bottom of the actual problem.
It is not related to non-availability of AA in the local Google Play, although a lot of dealers AND customer service like to lie about it.
It is simply because JLR is too cheap to buy the Dutch language license of the software controlling the connection with AA on our phone. And because my car came with Dutch as a base language, ...
If I would live 30 kilometers to the South, then I would have gotten a car with French as base language. Since JLR bought the software license for French, then they would have been able to enable it. So happy to have paid near to 100.000 euro for this car...
The I-Pace is a great car but I have never experienced a company with such poor customer service orientation. My next car will definitely not be a Jaguar.
Cannot believe that Jaguar have done this?

crc@jaguar.com ?

#10 ·
Chewy said:
Cannot believe that Jaguar have done this?

crc@jaguar.com ?
From one of the very short answers I got from CRC in Belgium: "Zoals eerder verteld kunnen zij dit al voorlopig, maar niet in het Nederlands aangezien wij in België nog niet over de Nederlandstalige licentie beschikken. "

Basically it says: "As mentioned earlier, they can do this" -talking about the dealer enabling AA support - "but not in Dutch as we do not posses the Dutch language license."

#11 ·
Goshdarnit said:
I have a question about the "extensive charging networks across the country" Dan. Why doesn't the I-Pace actually work with most of them (in this case, the country is Scotland)?
Hi goshdarnit,

According to Zap-Map, Scotland has over 3,000 charging connectors.

I-PACE has been tested and has been shown to work well with a wide range of networks including, Polar, Geniepoint, NewMotion, Pod Point, Charge your Car, InstaVolt, Chargeplace Scotland, Ionity.

Do have any specific examples of chargers not working with I-PACE?

If so, please PM me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details so I can look into this further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

#13 ·
My I-pace will NOT charge at the following ccs chargers.Grantown-on-Spey Aviemore
Kingussie Stirling Inverarray and Lochgilphead
To say I-pace charges at most cyc chargers in Scotland is not my experience.
Perhaps we should start a Scottish database of cyc chargers that Do work with I-pace.
Anyone got a list to start?

#14 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Hi goshdarnit,

I-PACE has been tested and has been shown to work well with a wide range of networks including, Polar, Geniepoint, NewMotion, Pod Point, Charge your Car, InstaVolt, Chargeplace Scotland, Ionity.

If so, please PM me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details so I can look into this further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK
Hi Chand. Sent you a PM. Thanks!

#15 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Goshdarnit said:
Hi goshdarnit,

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK
I have just myself a beer and will await the reply from Goshdarnit :)

#16 ·
Scotland:

- has a minority Government supported by the Green Party;
- produced 75% of its electricity from renewable sources;
- is the home to TESLA's largest institutional shareholder,

and has 3,000 charging connectors, very few of which work with an I-Pace.

There is an interesting article in the FT today explaining that the "poor" infrastructure continues to be a barrier to adoption of EVs. The article refers to "costly stranded assets". At first I thought that this must mean Scottish I-Paces. However, it turns out that what the industry means by "costly stranded assets" is EV pumps which no-one uses.

Really disappointing to think that my fantastic I-Pace is pretty much confined to the central belt of the country - unless that nice Mr Bannatyne would like to build some more health clubs around the country.

#17 ·
A lady from Jaguar called me this morning and we had a lengthy discussion where I explained exactly how both my recent road trips in the I-Pace went. She took extensive notes and promised to get back to me once she had discussed it with the technical team. No solution yet (or maybe ever) but nice to see Jaguar being responsive and following up.

G
#18 ·
Goshdarnit said:
A lady from Jaguar called me this morning and we had a lengthy discussion where I explained exactly how both my recent road trips in the I-Pace went. She took extensive notes and promised to get back to me once she had discussed it with the technical team. No solution yet (or maybe ever) but nice to see Jaguar being responsive and following up.
As far as I am aware the communication standard for 50kW DC chargers is Din spec 70121:2014 but as the I-Pace can charge at 100kW supposedly it's communication standard to interface with the DC charger has to be ISO 15118. Although they should be able to communicate with each other there can be problems as we know. Unless they can programme the I-pace to work on both standards I can't see them ever resolving the problem.

#19 ·
Jagmanmick said:
As far as I am aware the communication standard for 50kW DC chargers is Din spec 70121:2014 but as the I-Pace can charge at 100kW supposedly it's communication standard to interface with the DC charger has to be ISO 15118. Although they should be able to communicate with each other there can be problems as we know. Unless they can programme the I-pace to work on both standards I can't see them ever resolving the problem.
That's not the information that's coming from eVolt, and wouldn't explain why sometime (40-50% of attempts) the car does successfully charge. Nor would it explain why other manufacturers are able to charge on both types of charger.

G
#20 ·
Goshdarnit said:
Jagmanmick said:
That's not the information that's coming from eVolt, and wouldn't explain why sometime (40-50% of attempts) the car does successfully charge. Nor would it explain why other manufacturers are able to charge on both types of charger.
I know evolt chargers communicate using the 70121 standard it's in their charger specification. The standard for charging above 80kW is 15118 so the I-pace must communicate using that spec unless as I said the vehicle is programmed with both standards and can switch between. Also 70121 is derived from an early form of 15118 thats why it's supposed to be able to communicate with it and why it does sometimes. As for other manufacturers they may well have their vehicles programmed to work to both standards and therefore have no problem charging.

#24 ·
Chutche said:
I have charged at Arrochar twice. Failed all other places.
I've managed Arrochar and Campbeltown on the old style eVolt chargers (although I believe Arrochar is a fairly recent install and probably has the newer boards which eVolt says work with I-Pace). Also Lomondgate but that is one of the new style eVolt chargers. I've also managed partial charges (varying percentages) at Inveraray and Lochgilphead, but both died after giving a small charge. I've also managed to charge at Kilmarnock. However, the last three (Kilmarnock, Inveraray and Lochgilphead) have also completely failed to charge the car on other occasions. It's unpredictable, unreliable and very frustrating but it's incorrect to say that nobody is ever charged and I-Pace on an eVolt charger.

What I would say is that you can't rely on them. My new policy is when travelling through Scotland in areas only served by ChargePlace Scotland, stop at every single charger even if it's only for a 10% top up because you never know which ones will work and which ones won't.

#26 ·
Jjohnfuller1 said:
So far Chargeplaces at Crieff, Dunkeld, and Perth don't charge on CCS. Even after 30 mins with CYC customer service they gave up Ipaces have problems !!!!
The stupid thing is, you could go back to those three and I bet on certain days you'll get a charge out of them. In my experience it's random whether any old style eVolt charger will charge an I-Pace. It's notbthat certain ones work and certain ones don't. They just randomly work or fail on different occasions. And just to keep you on your toes they sometimes start but then fail after a random length of time (I've had anything from 10 to 30% added before the charger failed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.