Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
According to Chargeplace Scotland, there hasn't been a single instance of an I-Pace charging at an eVolt charger. There have been successful charges at every other type of charger in their fleet.

Anyone disagree with this?

Chutche said:
I have charged at Arrochar twice. Failed all other places.
I've managed Arrochar and Campbeltown on the old style eVolt chargers (although I believe Arrochar is a fairly recent install and probably has the newer boards which eVolt says work with I-Pace). Also Lomondgate but that is one of the new style eVolt chargers. I've also managed partial charges (varying percentages) at Inveraray and Lochgilphead, but both died after giving a small charge. I've also managed to charge at Kilmarnock. However, the last three (Kilmarnock, Inveraray and Lochgilphead) have also completely failed to charge the car on other occasions. It's unpredictable, unreliable and very frustrating but it's incorrect to say that nobody is ever charged and I-Pace on an eVolt charger.

What I would say is that you can't rely on them. My new policy is when travelling through Scotland in areas only served by ChargePlace Scotland, stop at every single charger even if it's only for a 10% top up because you never know which ones will work and which ones won't.

Jjohnfuller1 said:
So far Chargeplaces at Crieff, Dunkeld, and Perth don't charge on CCS. Even after 30 mins with CYC customer service they gave up Ipaces have problems !!!!
The stupid thing is, you could go back to those three and I bet on certain days you'll get a charge out of them. In my experience it's random whether any old style eVolt charger will charge an I-Pace. It's notbthat certain ones work and certain ones don't. They just randomly work or fail on different occasions. And just to keep you on your toes they sometimes start but then fail after a random length of time (I've had anything from 10 to 30% added before the charger failed).

Hi all. I just posted this elsewhere but I'm copying it here for completeness.

I just heard back from JLR on this with their final answer. The problem is apparently not related to the style of the charger, but the age of the post. The older posts are likely to have older firmware which is incompatible with the I-Pace which uses the latest protocols. That kind of makes sense as I have had two successful charges out of two attempts at Arrochar, on an old style eVolt charger which is actually a fairly recent install. So apparently it's really down to when the charger was installed (age of the post). That's why it seems related to the charger model as CPS changed model at a certain time (I think around 18 months ago). However, they have presumably installed some of the older style chargers more recently (I assume there was still some inventory). It might explain why there was a report of someone struggling on the new style charger recently. Maybe it was an early install of the new style and has the older firmware?

For what it's worth, I noticed that after swiping the card at Arrochar, instead of getting a "Validating User" page on the screen, it just flashed three animated grey dots up over the top of the "swipe card" screen, which is different to the other ones I tried. Those ones show a new page with "Validating User" and I think there is a series of orange animated dots. Maybe that's how you tell the difference?

Anyway, the upshot is no change is being made by Jaguar to the ipace software as they deem it a charger issue.

I'm a little disappointed in all honesty, but I really do appreciate the time taken by customer support to look into this and communicate with me on it. Sadly we're just going to have to deal with frustration until there are more new chargers, or CPS update the existing ones. When route planning I now plan to stop at every charger for a top up. Means several short stops rather than one long one, but by constantly topping up to 90% I hopefully will get to a charger which works within the next 180-190 miles. It's not ideal, but I can only hope improvements will come.

Goshdarnit said:
Hi all. I just posted this elsewhere but I'm copying it here for completeness.

I just heard back from JLR on this with their final answer. The problem is apparently not related to the style of the charger, but the age of the post. The older posts are likely to have older firmware which is incompatible with the I-Pace which uses the latest protocols. That kind of makes sense as I have had two successful charges out of two attempts at Arrochar, on an old style eVolt charger which is actually a fairly recent install. So apparently it's really down to when the charger was installed (age of the post). That's why it seems related to the charger model as CPS changed model at a certain time (I think around 18 months ago). However, they have presumably installed some of the older style chargers more recently (I assume there was still some inventory). It might explain why there was a report of someone struggling on the new style charger recently. Maybe it was an early install of the new style and has the older firmware?

For what it's worth, I noticed that after swiping the card at Arrochar, instead of getting a "Validating User" page on the screen, it just flashed three animated grey dots up over the top of the "swipe card" screen, which is different to the other ones I tried. Those ones show a new page with "Validating User" and I think there is a series of orange animated dots. Maybe that's how you tell the difference?

Anyway, the upshot is no change is being made by Jaguar to the ipace software as they deem it a charger issue.

I'm a little disappointed in all honesty, but I really do appreciate the time taken by customer support to look into this and communicate with me on it. Sadly we're just going to have to deal with frustration until there are more new chargers, or CPS update the existing ones. When route planning I now plan to stop at every charger for a top up. Means several short stops rather than one long one, but by constantly topping up to 90% I hopefully will get to a charger which works within the next 180-190 miles. It's not ideal, but I can only hope improvements will come.
Do you think this could be the same problem with Ecotricity then, older firmware etc on many of their chargers?

Obviously my discussion related exclusively to CPS chargers. They are manufactured by eVolt. Not sure who makes the Ecotricity ones. But regardless of who makes them, it is entirely possible that it's either the same issue, or a variation on the same issue. It sounds like a very similar problem with similar symptoms, but I've never tried one myself. Planning a trip down to Birmingham in August so I may give one a go on that trip.

Have now tried the same chargers at Crieff Dunkeld on multiple occasions with the same no charge result . Interesting that tried new engenie ccs at Stirling - one worked and one didn't !!! So even new chargers can be a bit random. New Shell unit failed with vehicle error. Instavolt and Polar work every time ...... so much for a standard

I'm happy to report that over 6 charging sessions on new style eVolt chargers I have a 100% success rate! However, the one at Brechin took multiple attempts to get it started, so it may be worth persevering and keeping on trying. Don't be scared to reboot the machine either (Emergency Stop button) as that can often help.

My car has had the H228 software updates & I had great hopes of CCS charging at the Charge Place Scotland chargers actually working on the way from Newcastle to Oban yesterday. Alas my hopes were short lived:

Lauder - charger wouldn't activate, no fans starting, nothing. Gave up after several attempts

Stirling Park & Ride - Nissan Leaf just beat me to the charger so had to go to Highland Gate and use an Engenie charger. One worked, the other did not (but at least I got a good though expensive charge).

Crainlairich - (this charger has previously not worked with my iPace), after 5 attempts and 3 resets, I finally got a charge but only stayed 15 mins.

Oban Ferry Terminal - Complete failure, no amount of reboots, disconnections & reconnections would get the thing to work.

Oban Tweeddale Street Car Park - Same again, complete failure although the right hand charger light did turn blue for a few seconds just to give me false hope!

This situation is just unacceptable!

NP4WDjag said:
My car has had the H228 software updates & I had great hopes of CCS charging at the Charge Place Scotland chargers actually working on the way from Newcastle to Oban yesterday. Alas my hopes were short lived:

Lauder - charger wouldn't activate, no fans starting, nothing. Gave up after several attempts

Stirling Park & Ride - Nissan Leaf just beat me to the charger so had to go to Highland Gate and use an Engenie charger. One worked, the other did not (but at least I got a good though expensive charge).

Crainlairich - (this charger has previously not worked with my iPace), after 5 attempts and 3 resets, I finally got a charge but only stayed 15 mins.

Oban Ferry Terminal - Complete failure, no amount of reboots, disconnections & reconnections would get the thing to work.

Oban Tweeddale Street Car Park - Same again, complete failure although the right hand charger light did turn blue for a few seconds just to give me false hope!

This situation is just unacceptable!
Crianlarich and Oban ferry terminal wouldn't work for me either. Tweeddale street car parkworked first time for me and charged without stopping. There is also a charger at the Green Welly Stop in Tyndrum which didn't show up in a better route planner, but that worked first time for me and also someone else who commented on one of my YouTube videos to that effect. However, you do have to pay for the Tyndrum one (20p per kWh).

There's also a new style eVolt charger at Lomondgate services that charges the I-Pace first time, every time.

Goshdarmit, thank you for spending time trying to get to the root of the Charge Place Scotland and I Pace issue.

I have to say that I am finding the Charge Place Scotland problem a real downer on my I Pace ownership experience

We went to Arran last weekend and neither the charger on Brodick promenade nor the other one a few hundred metres away in the Cal Mac terminal would work with the I Pace. Both were old style eVolts and are the only fast chargers on the Island. The one on the prom looked to have weathered a few storms. The one in the terminal looked very new. Fortunately, I had had time to top up at the Instavolt in Stevenston before catching the ferry to Arran and then got enough from the AC line at the Cal Mac terminal to get me back to Edinburgh. The problem is that it is all such a waste of time and becomes quite stressful.

This weekend we are heading up to Kinloch Rannoch and the round trip is 200 miles. I have to assume that the chargers at Dunkeld and Pitlochry won't work with the I Pace and so I have to: (1) feather it there and back on one charge, (2) deviate to the Instavolt in Dunfermline on the way back - or (3) take our MINI Cooper. This is absurd! From time to time it is quite fun to see how efficiently you can drive but that is absolutely not the point of buying the I Pace; for me at least. Nor did I expect to have to limit the use of the car to a 100 mile radius of my house or the Central Belt.

So frustrating. Soon people are going to be asking why all these I Paces are sitting on the A9 at 35 mph. Turns out that that they are all JaaaARGHs

Andrew

AGT said:
Goshdarmit, thank you for spending time trying to get to the root of the Charge Place Scotland and I Pace issue.

I have to say that I am finding the Charge Place Scotland problem a real downer on my I Pace ownership experience

We went to Arran last weekend and neither the charger on Brodick promenade nor the other one a few hundred metres away in the Cal Mac terminal would work with the I Pace. Both were old style eVolts and are the only fast chargers on the Island. The one on the prom looked to have weathered a few storms. The one in the terminal looked very new. Fortunately, I had had time to top up at the Instavolt in Stevenston before catching the ferry to Arran and then got enough from the AC line at the Cal Mac terminal to get me back to Edinburgh. The problem is that it is all such a waste of time and becomes quite stressful.

This weekend we are heading up to Kinloch Rannoch and the round trip is 200 miles. I have to assume that the chargers at Dunkeld and Pitlochry won't work with the I Pace and so I have to: (1) feather it there and back on one charge, (2) deviate to the Instavolt in Dunfermline on the way back - or (3) take our MINI Cooper. This is absurd! From time to time it is quite fun to see how efficiently you can drive but that is absolutely not the point of buying the I Pace; for me at least. Nor did I expect to have to limit the use of the car to a 100 mile radius of my house or the Central Belt.

So frustrating. Soon people are going to be asking why all these I Paces are sitting on the A9 at 35 mph. Turns out that that they are all JaaaARGHs

Andrew
The one at Dunkeld is a Siemens one I believe. I've had good feedback on that one from one of my viewers who us used that one more than once and says it works with his I-Pace.

I understand your frustrations. ABC works (so far) but it's hardly how driving across a small country like this should be in the 21st century! But I do believe it will improve as more chargers will certainly be needed, and those new ones will surely work fine with the I-Pace. It's difficult to see beyond the current situation when you're on the west coast with 20% soc and standing at a charger that won't work, despite a Leaf just driving off with 100% SOC, but I do believe it will improve.

Dunkeld is my closest charger and definitely does not work with my Ipace after many attempts over a long period ! I hope it works better for you. The one in Crieff is exactly the same as are the ones at Broxden. I use Polar at Dunbkane hydro or the new Engenie chargers in Stirling if I need a fast charger. So far all of the ac chargers have worked but ANY charge place Scotland dc charge has failed even after many attempts and also using customer service

Jjohnfuller1 said:
Dunkeld is my closest charger and definitely does not work with my Ipace after many attempts over a long period ! I hope it works better for you. The one in Crieff is exactly the same as are the ones at Broxden. I use Polar at Dunbkane hydro or the new Engenie chargers in Stirling if I need a fast charger. So far all of the ac chargers have worked but ANY charge place Scotland dc charge has failed even after many attempts and also using customer service
That's even worse than my experience. I have a 48% success rate on the old style eVolt chargers (with CPS) but 100% on the new style ones.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.