Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
And as ever, JC stacks the odds against the EV to get the story he wants. He left for a 70 mile journey to a friend with no charger other than a 13 amp plug with 120 miles charge. See where JC is going here?
Then with delays on the road etc he arrives with 22 miles.
Car blows the house system and the friends but eventually he finds one that gives him 30 miles or so in 8 hours. Cue the Range Rover for drive home.
Let's re-run that with JC leaving for 70 mile drive with a full battery. He drives like, well JC, and gets 2 miles per kWh, so that's 35kWh. Amazingly he would be able to make the return without recharging but that would neither make the story nor fit with the JC world view. Remember JC is an entertainer first and a journalist second :)
He did like the I-Pace though, despite the lack of a "proper " engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unfortunately when it comes to EV's JC has (tbmk) always been a naysayer. He has consistently tried to stack the deck against them anytime he has approached one. This contrivance just shows his EV ignorance/bias - which is instantly obvious to anyone with an EV but unfortunately to a curious traditional ICE driver who is considering an EV as an option this "straw man" scenario would present range anxiety in lights. Disappointed to see JC not capable of evolving or at least trying to... I liked him as an entertainer; but have significantly grown to dislike him based on his EV stance. Frankly he should declare himself unfit to ever review an EV as it is really of no value.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mjc said:
Given he is a born petrol-head, I thought it was an extremely complimentary review :)
me too. He basically really likes the car (a lot) but dislikes the more challenging aspects of EV ownership.
I think anybody already thinking about EV ownership will read it as very positive for the iPace.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought that it was a sensible review.

Who in the UK is not concerned about the state of the motorway charging network for non-Tesla owners?

If There was genuine competition @ motorway services then the situation would be greatly improved.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
J2T2 said:
And as ever, JC stacks the odds against the EV to get the story he wants. He left for a 70 mile journey to a friend with no charger other than a 13 amp plug with 120 miles charge. See where JC is going here?
Then with delays on the road etc he arrives with 22 miles.
Car blows the house system and the friends but eventually he finds one that gives him 30 miles or so in 8 hours. Cue the Range Rover for drive home.
Let's re-run that with JC leaving for 70 mile drive with a full battery. He drives like, well JC, and gets 2 miles per kWh, so that's 35kWh. Amazingly he would be able to make the return without recharging but that would neither make the story nor fit with the JC world view. Remember JC is an entertainer first and a journalist second :)
He did like the I-Pace though, despite the lack of a "proper " engine.
Well said! :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Grifmike said:
Unfortunately when it comes to EV's JC has (tbmk) always been a naysayer. He has consistently tried to stack the deck against them anytime he has approached one. This contrivance just shows his EV ignorance/bias - which is instantly obvious to anyone with an EV but unfortunately to a curious traditional ICE driver who is considering an EV as an option this "straw man" scenario would present range anxiety in lights. Disappointed to see JC not capable of evolving or at least trying to... I liked him as an entertainer; but have significantly grown to dislike him based on his EV stance. Frankly he should declare himself unfit to ever review an EV as it is really of no value.
Couldn't agree more, well put!

·
Registered
53 Posts
JC is like Boris Johnson in many ways. Bombastic, a joker, often irresponsible (e.g. his utterances about road safety over years), lacking in balance. unreliable and ultimately untrustworthy, though some of what they say may be true. To be taken with a big pinch of salt.

G

·
mbart777 said:
JC is like Boris Johnson in many ways. Bombastic, a joker, often irresponsible (e.g. his utterances about road safety over years), lacking in balance. unreliable and ultimately untrustworthy, though some of what they say may be true. To be taken with a big pinch of salt.
After that comparison, not sure I will ever view Clarkson, or Boris, in quite the same light :shock:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I suspect we'll hear more from this direction, because he loved driving the car, and it's a British design.

Having said that, I think the days are numbered when you can be considered a "notable car pundit" and simultaneously be sufficiently clueless to take off cross-country with low charge and no charging arrangements, and be disappointed by the outcome.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
timbray said:
I suspect we'll hear more from this direction, because he loved driving the car, and it's a British design.

Having said that, I think the days are numbered when you can be considered a "notable car pundit" and simultaneously be sufficiently clueless to take off cross-country with low charge and no charging arrangements, and be disappointed by the outcome.
But... taking off on a trip like that makes great media coverage.... If he planned it then it would be boring, boring, boring.
I suspect 'his team' planned the event to make the most sensational headlines. That is JC down to a 'T' (IMHO)

·
Registered
135 Posts
You may loathe everything he stands for (as I do), and in all fairness he is unlikely to find that many fanboys on an ev forum is he? But you would have to be both churlish and humourless not to admit that the man does have a way with words. How many "serious motoring writers would come up with a metaphor like this which tells me more about the i-Pace's silence than any number of the huge number of reviews I have researched and read after the Portugal freebie?:
"It's quiet. Really quiet. This thing: it's a mouse tiptoeing over a bed of kapok, in carpet slippers."
Or if that didn't make you smile what about these?:
"I drove round London in the i-Pace for a few days and it was just so relaxing. It glided over potholes and speed humps and wafted down Park Lane like a swan. On a magic carpet. Later I went out of town and found that on wet roads the four-wheel-drive grip was so leechy you end up looking like Snoopy, with both your eyes on one side of your face."

·
Registered
23 Posts
mjc said:
But I would enjoy watching a Clarkson/May/Hammond European Grand Tour in I-Pace/Tesla MX75/E-tron :D :D :D
Me too, so long as they ran our of battery power half way up Mont Blanc and had no option but to walk the rest of the journey having forgotten to pack an overnight bag or any warm clothing :D :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
That will NOT happen as the AI gains experience with YOU and your normal drives. Probably the big mistake is it's initial optimism that you will drive it ideally in ideal conditions - a default that was set no doubt with sales in mind.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Clarkson is complaining his Porsche 911 is lousy in the sand.
He never even mentions the #1 creature comfort of an EV.
You wake up each morning with a full tank unless you're a nimrod.
You need J1772 Level 2, 7.7 charging at home to use a 200+ mile EV.
Size Does Matter Jeremy. Big battery cars require intelligence and planning to use effectively.

I can easily get 250+ miles on the hwy with my i-Pace. Probably 300 if I turned on the Low Battery Mode and hypermiled (found under My EV, screen 2).

PS - Those who hate Regen apparently never really liked the V8 stick shift cars they said they loved, Jeremy. Lift at 6500 coming into a corner and feel the 'regen'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts