Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

JLR Fiasco

13K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Delta5 
#1 ·
"Well that's another fine mess you gotten me into" JLR.

My i-Pace suffered the dreaded 'Gearbox fault' reported elsewhere on this forum, where a control cable was manufactured too short and eventually frays and snaps.

On 18th December, after a week of gearbox fault alerts, the car lost power (fortunately only) pulling into a car park.

The car was recovered to JLR Bolton for repair and the control cable issue was confirmed, requiring a complete replacement of the power control unit under the front bonnet.

JLR very thoughtfully gave me a diesel-guzzling Evoque as a replacement vehicle until I got to the end of my tether with it after several weeks and they finally found an i-Pace.

Christmas came and went, the replacement unit finally turned up in late January, followed by a wait for the right O-rings (that old chestnut of an excuse).

The car was finally returned on 11th February. Joy!

But, the emergency charger release cable was loose under the bonnet, the tires were all at odd pressures, there's a loud flapping noise when I drive over 55mph, 'Coolant Liquid Low' warnings appear whenever I rapid charge and, worst of all, there is a nice new dent on one of the doors.

Buyer's remorse doesn't even cover how I'm feeling at the moment.

JLaaaaaRgh!

Dunravin

See less See more
#2 ·
I got my car back from same fault, I'm having some odd provlems, the steering seems to vibrate from time to time when steering to the fight, I also received car back with tyres in odd pressures and also I've been getting the cool liquid low error when I push down harder on the accelerator

#3 ·
Subie said:
I got my car back from same fault, I'm having some odd provlems, the steering seems to vibrate from time to time when steering to the fight, I also received car back with tyres in odd pressures and also I've been getting the cool liquid low error when I push down harder on the accelerator
The steering might be due to Automatic Lane Assist being switched on.

The other stuff sounds like JLR repairers don't know how to replace the unit properly.

#4 ·
Dunravin said:
.... there's a loud flapping noise when I drive over 55mph,...
I've had something similar since mine came back from the same repair in October. More of a droning sound at higher speeds than a flapping.

I've taken it back twice and even been out with the technician but nobody else can hear it apparently. Something hasn't been fitted back correctly but the dealership don't seem capable of finding out what it is.

Please keep us informed of how you get on with yours. Hopefully better than I have..

#5 ·
Droning and flapping noises heard at higher speeds may be related to an improperly installed grille to hood vent duct.

It is very easy to check. Squat down in front of the front grille, and slide your hand over the top edge of the grille into the duct.

If you can feel the raised edge of the duct, it was incorrectly reinstalled by the service techs.

At high speeds rushing air is forced into the narrow gap below this raised edge and it can flap and vibrate onto the top of the grille.

This can be rectified by removing the front section of the frunk and aligning the duct correctly.

#6 ·
Lobster said:
Droning and flapping noises heard at higher speeds may be related to an improperly installed grille to hood vent duct.
That was the first thing I checked but it's ok on my car. The wheel arch lining hadn't been fitted back properly however but after that was rectified the noise was still there.

It's definitely some sort of air movement related resonance as it gets louder with wind gusts and is always noisier driving into a headwind than at the same speed with a tailwind.

#7 ·
Anorak, it must be very annoying for you.

Simulating 70mph wind could be difficult. I have noticed dynotune workshops using powerful electric fans to cool ICE race cars under test.

Could one of these fans or a leaf blower help locate flapping plastic undertray or frunk panels?

#8 ·
A leaf blower would probably make more noise than the offending bit of trim does (if it is a bit of trim) but an electric dyno fan might work.

I think my problem, or anyone else's with the issue, would be convincing the dealership to organise a test. I can't even get mine to admit they can hear the noise on a long road test. 'I think they all do that Sir'. No they don't. Mine didn't for the first 9 months I owned it.

It is only maybe a couple of decibels louder than it used to be, but when you're used to zero engine / transmission noise even a small increase is annoying. I am also particularly fussy but my daughter can hear it too.

First world problems...

#9 ·
Good Morning Dunravin,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply concerned to learn of the experience you have had with your I-PACE, and I would like to take the opportunity to investigate this further.

Should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me via PM with the following information:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal Contact Details

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#10 ·
A strongly worded email to JLR Customer Relations received a fairly evasive reply. A follow up email cc'd to JLR's Managing Director got results and a Solution Executive assigned to my issues.

The car is now back in for repair and, despite JLR not having a replacement i-Pace available in the UK, I was shipped a brand new Rangie - the P400e hybrid. It's a monster but feels like I'm being well looked after.

Took the technician out for a spin up the motorway and he immediately understood how bad the vibration noise is. He was amazed that I put up with it on a recent trip from Gatwick to Manchester. He checked the under-bonnet trims and they seemed normal.

So, well done to JLR for eventually getting me the service we all expect and fingers crossed that the cat comes back in pristine condition.

I'll keep you posted.

DR

#11 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Good Morning Dunravin,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply concerned to learn of the experience you have had with your I-PACE, and I would like to take the opportunity to investigate this further.

Should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me via PM with the following information:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal Contact Details

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
No problem Dan, it's all being taken care of now.

Thanks,

DR

#12 ·
Update:

Got the car back today. It is pristine at last and no vibrations, coolant warnings or dent!

Well done JLR Bolton for sorting this out with the minimum of fuss.

Plus JLR HQ left a nice gift for my troubles; a Moleskine electronic writing set.

Things really began to shift when the Solution Exec Luke got hold of the problem, so insist they put an SE on your case.

Now back to happy motoring again...

DR

Product Rectangle Material property Font Packing materials

Brown Sleeve Font Material property Rectangle

Attachments

#13 ·
Moleskine electronic writing set; what is that? Papers in a box? I don't get the pictures...

#17 ·
Wow, now that's nice of JLR!

#19 ·
Sorry, been away from forums for a while to contain my anger at JLR.

The hood noise was due to a loose fitting cover after the original power control unit replacement.

Due to lockdown I haven't been driving too much.

Went to pick my son up a few miles from home and the brakes failed while approaching a car stopped at a red light. Collision avoidance system kicked in but failed to apply the brakes too. Very low speed impact but some bumper scratches on the other car now being claimed against my insurance.

Car went back to the workshop for a few weeks and JLR couldn't detect any fault even after HQ engineers got involved and pulled the blackbox data. No sign of the brakes failing nor the avoidance system engaging. I.e. it never happened, despite my family being in the car at the time and witnessing it.

Picked up the car and within 20 miles all steering column controls stopped working. Intelligent Electronic Braking system failure warning came up.

Back to workshop and steering column switchblock failure found. Dealership didn't have a spare part.

Car going back in again today for part replacement.

Still no diagnosis on the brake failure in July. Twice since the brakes have taken their own merry time to engage.

Feels like I'm risking my life every time I get in the car.

Not the way you want to feel about a Jaguar.

#20 ·
Very sorry to read about your mishaps.

The production fault with the too short cable is what it is, an error in production.

But everything you're experiencing after that seem to be the results of simply very sloppy work from your dealer. Badly reinstalled parts etc. are a sign of mechanics who don't seem to care about the work they do or the cars that they are working on. Same goes for apparently non-existing quality control.

My I-Pace is not my my only car, have a very nice Honda NSX as well. If I need some work done on the Honda (which is rarely), the mechanic in question will do his utmost to do the work perfect. Has no trouble if I am standing next to him, asking questions, looking at what he is doing and doesn't mind to explain what he is doing and why he is doing it in that particular way. Of course it helps a lot that I know a lot about the car which I cannot say about the I-Pace, but it's the attitude that matters, not the car or the type of work.

If there is one thing I don't like about car dealerships it is when they treat you like the workshop is some super secret off-limits place where all kinds of magic happen which is not ment for a simple mortal like me to witness.

#21 ·
Technicians are generally wanting to do good work but because of time constraints are rushed. Each warranty action has a time allocation and the dealer only gets paid by the manufacturer for that time, so mistakes are made. Some dealerships are very profit centered and screw every penny out of staff at all levels and that leads to very poor staff morale and in turn customer satisfaction. The accountants just don't care!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.