Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from an event hosted by Jaguar where we were able to drive the I-Pace on both open roads and a small track for half a day. :D

To put it in short, it's awesome!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Jaguar importer here in Sweden hosted the event and the local dealer sent out the invites. The cars will be driven by the press here later in the week for the first time locally, so pretty cool to be among the first to drive it here in Sweden.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Arc, do you currently have an EV, if so how does it compare ……..

You are very lucky!

Weirdly it looks like they were UK registered cars - not Swedish ….. odd.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi no EV today I drive an XE S today.
The UK plates is because these cars where a few of the same preproduction cars that where used in Portugal a week ago.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you drive the First Edition car with 22" wheels …… if so, how was the ride.

A lot of the car reviewers in Portugal were driving cars with 20" wheels despite info from JLR saying that the I-Pace was optimised for 22" - so I'm curious to know what you thought, if you got to drive on 22"ers (as I have ordered them!)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Many reservation holders would like to know how it drives without air suspension. It seems all the cars in Portugal had AAS.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Maybe it was optimised for 22" for handling but a lot of reviews say that it's more confortable with the 20". And that's what is more important for me.
I won't race on the roads but travelling with my familly and try to keep more autnomy :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay here is a longer recap with a bit of a focus on the 20inch vs 22inch question.

There where somewhere between 8-10 I-paces available at the event. All of them were either HSE or First Edition. They are a part of the bunch of cars that where used I Portugal last week. All the cars had Active Air Suspension and either 20inch or 22 inch wheels.

We drove the cars both on open country side roads and on a track. We switched cars a few times to experience and compare between how the cars drive and rides on 22inch and 20inch wheels. Worth nothing is that the tarmac here in Sweden is much more coarse and lot less smooth than in southern Portugal because a lot of people use studded tyres during the winter season which put a lot of wear on the tarmac.
Comparing the 22inch setup to the 20inch setup was interesting. Comfort wise I actually didn't experience any downside with the 22inch setup and really did not feel that there was any significant difference, the car never felt too stiff bumpy or harsh even in dynamic mode. My conclusion is that regardless if you drive or ride in the car there is not really any tradeoff in ride quality with the 22inch setup and no real comfort gain with the 20inch setup, at least when the cars have AAS.

The performance of the car is great, the steering especially in dynamic mode is very sharp and direct. The car handles and corners extremely well and the chassi and bodycontrol is great. You can feel that the car is quite heavy but it still handle extremely well and actually feels quite nimble spite its size and weight. Acceleration is blistering fast. The throttle response and acceleration we where told is mapped so that its similar to an ICE car which is also my impression, it's just a lot faster than most ICE cars.

We also tried switching between high and low regeneration when stepping of the throttle. Here there is a huge difference compared to an ICE car. In high regen setting you can basically drive the car without using the brake pedal. When you start to get use to it it's actually quite nice and relaxing. In low regen setting the car felt like a normal ICE with the regard to the power regen. I think it great that the difference is so huge between the two settings.
The car is very quite and insulated from both wind and rolling noise even on the coarse Swedish tarmac.

I also tried turning on and of the active artificial "engine sound" and I have to say that I actually liked it on, it's discreet and not intrusive at all and actually in a somewhat weird way make the car feel more natural less artificial and more like a regular car.

We also got the chance to do the "moose test" evasive maneuver test and a slalom course on the racetrack. This was apart from being a lot of fun pushing the cars also very intresting since it's not something you are likely to do during a normal testdrive at a dealership. We tried both cars with 20inch and 22inch setup. The difference is in my opinion huge with regard to how much more stable and how much harder the car can be pushed with the 22inch setup. When pushed hard the cars with 20inch setup on Goodyear SUV tyres did not handle any where near the 22inch on Pirelli p-zeros. There was lot more body roll and sloshing around with the 20 inch setup. And it felt a lot more safe to do both the moose test and slalom course with the 22inch setup. It's not that the car handles bad with the 20 inch and AAS it's just that it's so much better with the 22inch and AAS The fact that there is no noticeable trade off in ride quality makes the choice easy if the extra cost is within your budget.

After driving both setup I see no reason in choosing the 20inch setup other than the money saved, at least if you're getting active air suspension. No trade off in ride and comfort with the 22inch setup and the day you might have to do the moose test for real you will not regret choosing the 22s. 20 inch wheels and AAS seems to me after driving the car a bit counterproductive and half baked, since you don't get the full benefit of the active air suspension and still pays quite a lot for the option. I would say either go with both the 22inch and AAS or stay with the 20inch and standard suspension and get a more substantial saving.

The only real let down that I felt during the day is the infotainment system, it felt in my experience a bit slow and sluggish sometimes but maybe software updates will adress and fix this.

If there are any additional questions I'll be try and answer them based on my experience. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thf for this review.
Nice thing for the 22" for confort.
But don't u think part of the difference with handling is due to tires ? I mean P-Zero are reputed to be verygood on race track, more than the goodyears SUV ones.
Just have tknow now how 22" impact the range and maybe i ll think of ordering them on my FE.
But still no winter tires for now and 22" tires cost muxh more than 20" cause not very comon nowdays.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Tophe74 yes the handling difference is due to the tires. But in my opinon if you get AAS and not 22s then you don´t get anywhere near the full benefit of the AAS while not getting any gain in ride quality by sticking with the 20s.

None of the people sales people from Jaguar at the event who all been to the Portugal launch seemed to know if there was a big difference between AAS and standard coil suspension when it comes to ride quality since nobody seemed to have driven the car without AAS yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This thread makes for fascinating reading, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts . . . you had a brilliant opportunity to do exactly what I would like to be able to do in order to make my decision on taking this big step (it's a big investment!)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Arc, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for addressing the 20" vs 22" issue …... its very helpful …...and in my case reassuring.

I've always chosen air suspension (where available) as, it most cases, it does transform the ride of the car - so choosing that option on the I-Pace was pretty much a no brainer for me - so I'm glad that it sounds like I'm getting my moneys worth by choosing the 22" wheels in combination with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think this is a review from one of your fellow drivers (a Model S owner) …….. it seems he was reasonably impressed too.

http://teslaclubsweden.se/jaguar-i-pace-provkord/

He seems to think there isn't AutoPilot type features on the I-Pace …… I thought Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Assist (HSE) did the same thing or am I missing something ……

Arc, did seeing the cars outside in natural light change you view of which Colour to get?
Did you take any photos?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lan assisy only keep car in lane with the camera. But it desactivates if take your off the steeriing wheel. Its not a real drive assist. Must be lvl 2. Tesla has much more sensors and so its lvl 3 or 4 self driving.
Anyway for now legislation doesn t allow self driving cars so am ok with this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Blackseries

No only took only a few random pictures with my cell.

With regards to color, Allt he cars where either Corris Grey, Santorini Black or Photon Red.
Corris and Santorini is just grey and black metallic nothing really special just like the same color as every other manufacturer have on offer, nice but nothing special. With Santorini black all the black details like the thing on the side of the car disappear, either you like the blacked out /stealth look or you don't.
Personally I didn't really like Photon Red at all, its way too orange sort of carrot colored in my opinion. It looks much more orange than red in real life, at least in partially cloudy Swedish weather.

I'm actually kind of disappointed in the color choices offered for the I-pace I think they are a bit bland and limited in selection.
They should a have offered some more intresting shades and why is there no British Racing Green available? :x

The interiors of the cars where ebony black, oyster, mars red. The mars red is a big no no without black headliner, looks weird and busy, they had cars with mars red in both full leather interior with the red leather part on the dash and the non full leather version both both oyster and black headliners .

I didn't like the suede oyster headliner it reminded med about a slightly dirty terry cloth bath towel, in black it was very nice though. The suede oyster was by the way already a bit dirty on the test cars around the sun visors, grab handles etc.

I was kind of surprised by the fact that the oyster interior is actually not nearly as beige and golden as in the first official pictures, it´s much more light grayish in real life. The decor trims where charcoal ash, aluminium and carbon fibre. The charcoal is not as brown as it might come of in some pictures and the aluminium is not brushed but has som kind of pattern printed on it. Unfortunately there was no siena tan interior in any car to see.

·
Registered
84 Posts
arc said:
I was kind of surprised by the fact that the oyster interior is actually not nearly as beige and golden as in the first official pictures, it´s much more light grayish in real life. The decor trims where charcoal ash, aluminium and carbon fibre. The charcoal is not as brown as it might come of in some pictures and the aluminium is not brushed but has som kind of pattern printed on it. Unfortunately there was no siena tan interior in any car to see.
Thanks for the write-up and sharing your experiences. Question on the oyster interior as I have not seen it in real life either but did choose it for my car: would you say the photos @ <INSTAGRAM id="BjSm00HliIQ" url="https://www.instagram.com/p/BjSm00HliIQ/"> http://instagr.am/p/BjSm00HliIQ/ </INSTAGRAM> are a good representation of the color in real life?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, today was my lucky day and I was able to test drive the I Pace It was a small pylons course like they are doing in the entire world
My impressions again don t compare it to Tesla It is something absolutely different. Both are electric but that is all.
The Jaguar is very agile, nimble. The turn radius is incredibly small.
I have driven two cars. A 22 inch and a 20 inch car. Personally I did not feel big. of a difference.
The multimedia and EV menus are underdevelopped, I hope this will change.
I ve been told that the first production year is sold out and if I would order one now in Switzerland I would get one in april 2019, And the best news, then it will have 3 phase chargingThey also talked about a PlugSurfing cooperation for the payment of the charging stations.
Lovely car, well done Jaguar

1 - 20 of 45 Posts