Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a way to keep the i-Pace 'On' when exiting the vehicle on the drivers side. E.g. hopping out briefly to post a letter, etc. Normally the i-Pace shuts off immediately as soon as the driver door is opened. This is not always desirable e.g. trip recording will be ended as soon as the car switches off, and a new trip rexord is started when you start it and drive off again. Another reason could be you would want to check whether all your exterior lights are working properly.

This is the trick to avoid i-Pace switching off:

- When stopped, put your drive mode in 'N' (instead of 'P').
- Engage the parking brake by pulling the small 'P' lever on the left hand side (for RHD vehicles: right hand side) of the dash, below the outer vent.
- Open the driver door and hop out.
- Notice that the i-Pace now stays on, and a warning signal is heard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Thank You Martijn , that is a great tip. This has been annoying me for the six weeks I have had my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
I am just leaving the car in D, press the break so "ready" appears and get out of the car - so far works with problems even on a small incline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Good tip. I had the same with my old Range Rover Sport which was particularly annoying for the rear seat entertainment. e.g. I'd stop at the petrol station, open the door and the screens went off. When I started again, I had to go through the whole process of getting the film on the RSE again. Pretty sure this would've worked with the RRS and shame I didn't think about it.

If the administrator is looking, I think a tips section would be really good as I guess there's quite a few things we don't know about which would make our lives easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
I used the mentioned D-mode and waited for "ready" to appear.

Is there a way to leave the car, switched ON, while taking the FOB with you? I suppose with the N-mode and hand-brake you leave the FOB in the car?

Would like to leave it "on" while taking the key with me for example for short stop at a Petrol station :shock: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jelle v/d Meer said:
I am just leaving the car in D, press the break so "ready" appears and get out of the car - so far works with problems even on a small incline.
This will work indeed also, but I'm sure only when you have creep mode off. With creep mode on the car would start rolling when taking your foot off the brake pedal.

And I fear that there is a big risk involved with this method as well, e.g. with children in the car or pets jumping in when keeping the door open. Just one press on the accelerator and the car will move. In 'N' and parking brake engaged this can not happen without two additional actions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bart said:
I used the mentioned D-mode and waited for "ready" to appear.

Is there a way to leave the car, switched ON, while taking the FOB with you? I suppose with the N-mode and hand-brake you leave the FOB in the car?

Would like to leave it "on" while taking the key with me for example for short stop at a Petrol station :shock: :D
Good question - have to verify that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
How did you guys cope in old times with manual transmission and handbrake? Did you ever let a car roll without driver? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I could update the navigation map with a usb stick. The instructions state that the "engine" should remain on during the update process. I put the car in neutral with the handbrake on. I removed the key from the car and you see a warning that the key is no longer in the car. It seems that after about 15 min the navigation turns off. I'm not sure if the update progress was suspended or that is was still running. I managed to restart the car and the update finished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
MjrPayne said:
How did you guys cope in old times with manual transmission and handbrake? Did you ever let a car roll without driver? :)
Well in an ICE car you would have the handbrake on and the car in neutral. Also with an automatic car you would have it in P and you could exit the car without the engine switching off.

I find it quite strange and stupid that the car decides to switch off just because I open the drivers door when the car is in P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Mine doesn't switch off when I exit the car.

I don't put it in P before I exit and just leave it in D. When I return to the car it is in D with the P active. Pressing P followed by D allows you to continue driving. I do not have to press the start/stop button
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
r0bs0n said:
Mine doesn't switch off when I exit the car.

I don't put it in P before I exit and just leave it in D. When I return to the car it is in D with the P active. Pressing P followed by D allows you to continue driving. I do not have to press the start/stop button
This is the sort of tip that will be invaluable to us RHD drivers who use the French (and other) Motorway systems without a passenger to operate the Toll Machines for us.
Thanks.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top