Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the launch of the Kia EV6 it was announced that they have done a deal with Tesla to get access to the Tesla Supercharger network.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Source?
Sounds not very logic to me since Kia is one of the ionity owners. I don't see why they should buy themselves in in two hpc networks basically.

But then knows

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A rumour only at this point. I personally find it quite doubtful but anything is possible.

(Mods: This feels like it belongs in the off topic forum).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
EEV320 said:
Source?
Sounds not very logic to me since Kia is one of the ionity owners. I don't see why they should buy themselves in in two hpc networks basically.

But then knows
Given that Ionity is nigh on useless to large swathes of the UK population and it's travel plans with a geographically odd set of locations even without the outrageous costs, it may be that such a deal for the UK only market would be very very sensible.

Just because you buy into a business it doesn't mean you out all your chips on it. It's actually sensible to have multiple partner offerings and given the huge limitations of Ionity and the fact that Kia is looking to increase volumes of sales, it all makes a lot of sense although I would have expected a deal like this to include Hyundai too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EEV320 said:
Source?

But then knows
I attended the official launch of the EV6 at the dealers in Loughborough where one of the (only two) cars in the UK at present - prototypes that have been featured on various YouTube channels such as Fully Charged was revealed by someone from the Kia marketing team who described the features of the new car and spent some time asking the invited audience how many petrol stations they thought that there were in the UK and how many public EV chargers there were. Having established that there were more charging sites than petrol stations he went on to point out that this number excluded the Tesla network. Having described the size of the Tesla network he then announced that Kia had concluded a deal with Tesla to get access to the Tesla network. I'm fairly sure that this information was also included in the video that was played at the same time. I think that if this statement eventually proved to be speculation it was such a large part of the presentation that it would make the whole event a joke.
I asked when we could expect delivery if we placed an order now and he replied, it would be built and delivered by March 2022. Cars are expected at the dealers for test drives before the end of October.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Curious to see it coming. Businesswise I wouldn't make the same decision but it's not mine so I hope it's true and works out well

·
Registered
670 Posts
There was no mention of the access to superchargers at the EV6 launch event I attended.

That was at the middle of September though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a member of the Tesla UK forum and there is a lot of noise on there about Tesla opening up their charging network to ALL EV brands sometime this year. Google Tesla opening up charging network

"Elon Musk confirms the Supercharger network will be made available to all electric cars soon. Tesla boss Elon Musk has revealed that the brand's popular Supercharger network of rapid chargers will open up to electric vehicles (EVs) made by other manufacturers. Musk has now offered more detail on how this will work.27 Jul 2021"

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yes but Musk also promised self driving cars by 2017, a humanoid autonomous robot by next year, a $35,000 Model 3 and countless other things that haven’t happened. So I’ll believe it when I see it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts