Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 19th 2022

Good morning… What is the latest Vehicle software for both the car and the Infotainment system as of today the 19th of June 2022 and should all iPaces’ be running on this version or can only the MY21’s and MY22’s run on it?

I bought my car in January 2022 from dealer secondhand and the software has not changed and there was also no change on the 1st of June when I took it for its 1st service (which may not be an issue at all). I was just wondering what everyone else is running on and if new cars have different software.

Thanks
Font Gadget Audio equipment Electronic device Multimedia

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Window

Gesture Font Gadget Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
248 Posts
You car's connectivity software (TCU) is a little out fo date: TCU 16.2 has been released some 3 years ago, current is TCU 20.2. This may not be critical, but alongside with the update of the TCU software, you typically also get an updated Battery energy control system software. The TCU update need to be done by the dealer, if you haven't got it via SOTA yet.
You have the latest Infotainment Software (IMC) update S21B.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You car's connectivity software (TCU) is a little out fo date: TCU 16.2 has been released some 3 years ago, current is TCU 20.2. This may not be critical, but alongside with the update of the TCU software, you typically also get an updated Battery energy control system software. The TCU update need to be done by the dealer, if you haven't got it via SOTA yet.
You have the latest Infotainment Software (IMC) update S21B.
Thanks Koala

I thought that this ‘software update’ would have been done at the 1st Service three weeks ago? Do you think in your opinion is it something that is either a requirement and should be done or that it will make little difference?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
AIUI, dealers are reluctant to do "unnecessary" updates that will cost them time and money unless they're to fix a customer complaint, in which case Jaguar will pay for it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
AIUI, dealers are reluctant to do "unnecessary" updates that will cost them time and money unless they're to fix a customer complaint, in which case Jaguar will pay for it under warranty. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
AIUI, dealers are reluctant to do "unnecessary" updates that will cost them time and money unless they're to fix a customer complaint, in which case Jaguar will pay for it under warranty.
Hi SCM

Just so I understand correctly… Does that mean that a software update is not part of the service while under warranty? I regularly look for a software update myself while in the car but it always says the same thing when I select “Check for Update”. Nothing is available. I know I have a 4G connection so am I missing something here and what should I do?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi SCM

Just so I understand correctly… Does that mean that a software update is not part of the service while under warranty? I regularly look for a software update myself while in the car but it always says the same thing when I select “Check for Update”. Nothing is available. I know I have a 4G connection so am I missing something here and what should I do?
It depends what software is to be updated. As scm has stated in his post, many dealers do not do TCU updates unless the customer has issues with it. Typical issues with TCU 16.2 is, that the car does not remember your home WiFi and forgets the password. You will need to re-enter the password every other day or so. Later TCU updates fix that. So if you tell your dealer that you want to connect your car to your home WiFi and the car continues to forget the Wifi password, than the dealer will likely do the TCU update and you should get the latest then.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends what software is to be updated. As scm has stated in his post, many dealers do not do TCU updates unless the customer has issues with it. Typical issues with TCU 16.2 is, that the car does not remember your home WiFi and forgets the password. You will need to re-enter the password every other day or so. Later TCU updates fix that. So if you tell your dealer that you want to connect your car to your home WiFi and the car continues to forget the Wifi password, than the dealer will likely do the TCU update and you should get the latest then.
Great! Thank you…

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Koala… I just sat in my car and took the following photos (basically the same pictures as before) but this time it shows the words ‘Software Up to Date’ or ‘No Software Update Available’. I can also see I have a 4G connection. Am I doing something wrong because there is never the option to update to 20.2 or any other version and there is never a SOTA option offered. If I can’t do it myself (unless I’m doing something wrong?) then I guess the only option is to take it back to the dealership.

Thanks for advice on the reason why it won’t connect to the home WiFi…

Gadget Gesture Font Line Material property

Gesture Font Gadget Thumb Electronic device

·
Registered
248 Posts
TCU software updates are a bit confusing some times. When the car reports ‘No Software Update Available’ it reffers to SOTA. Whether SOTA is enabled for your car, your dealer can check out on a JLR portal named TopiX.
Your dealer can also do more with a JLR software called Pathfinder, that connects to the car via cables. They can very likely update your TCU to 20.2 if they would just try.
Attached you find release notes from JLR (I am missing the one for TCU17.2 though), so you can see, what has improved and fixed over time.
My car was shipped with TCU 14.2. I encountered the famous "Black screen of death" that occoured on some I-Pace with TCU 14.2. My dealer got me TCU17.2 back in that time. My car has never shown any SOTA for the TCU unless the dealer put it on TCU20.2. The subsequent car's journey from 20.2 and back to 19.2 and back again to 20.2 I have documented in this thread:
Have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TCU software updates are a bit confusing some times. When the car reports ‘No Software Update Available’ it reffers to SOTA. Whether SOTA is enabled for your car, your dealer can check out on a JLR portal named TopiX.
Your dealer can also do more with a JLR software called Pathfinder, that connects to the car via cables. They can very likely update your TCU to 20.2 if they would just try.
Attached you find release notes from JLR (I am missing the one for TCU17.2 though), so you can see, what has improved and fixed over time.
My car was shipped with TCU 14.2. I encountered the famous "Black screen of death" that occoured on some I-Pace with TCU 14.2. My dealer got me TCU17.2 back in that time. My car has never shown any SOTA for the TCU unless the dealer put it on TCU20.2. The subsequent car's journey from 20.2 and back to 19.2 and back again to 20.2 I have documented in this thread:
Have fun!
Koala… Thanks so much. You have been more helpful than JLR and my dealership.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You are welcome! When I joined this forum some 3+ years ago, I had very little clue on EVs... this forum has been and is still a great help with issues and tips ever since. So I am happy to give back and help others when I can. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are welcome! When I joined this forum some 3+ years ago, I had very little clue on EVs... this forum has been and is still a great help with issues and tips ever since. So I am happy to give back and help others when I can. :)
Good morning Koala

I was thinking about the unavailability of software updates and two physical issues I have noticed with the car that I need JLR to look at. All in all I love the car and she’s a pleasure to drive. I do however want to look after the car and as cars are more computers these days than they were in the past I also need to ensure it’s software is up to date.

I’m baffled as to why the dealership didn’t update the software in 3 years? The previous owner was a local to the dealership and bought it from them so even after they resold it to the same dealership I would have thought they would have updated it before selling it to us. I also don’t understand why they would disable SOTA updates which would prevent me updating the software as I do for my smart phone, tv and tablet.

Considering the negative side of software issues, while reading through other older threads, people have mentioned issues with Touch Pro Duo and ‘black screens’ and updates that were needed to resolve other issues. As you mentioned password issues connecting to the home Wi-Fi being an example.

With these issues in mind would I have to go through each update to update to the next software version and there by experience the flaws with each update or is it possible to simply update from 16.2 directly to 20.2 in one update?

I am also wondering on the positive side, what am I missing out on (if anything) by the car not having its software being updated in three years? Do old 19 & 20’s get the new Pivi Pro system as a software update or is that a completely different hardware architecture and so not available for older MY19/20’s? What’s the advantage of seeing or knowing that the BCEM software is up to date? Has there been anything since TCU16.2 that is really an absolute necessity or repair that makes you feel “thank god that’s fixed!”? Why would you have it upgraded if you were to?

On my banking app or smart phone it’s obvious why upgrades should be done as it’s a security issue. Is it as important on the iPace or are we talking minor fixes?

Thanks again…

ps I’m asking iPace owners opinions to get a realistic more honest opinion before going to the dealer to be told “everything is fine…” so I sincerely appreciate you and others taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You shouldn't need to install previous updates. The latest update will fix any previous update anomalies - well that's how it works for most devices and has done so for years, but with Jaguar it may be different lol. As for pivi-pro its hardware related. It was introduced to the i-pace for MY2021 and started to appear on cars around Sept 2020.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You shouldn't need to install previous updates. The latest update will fix any previous update anomalies - well that's how it works for most devices and has done so for years, but with Jaguar it may be different lol. As for pivi-pro its hardware related. It was introduced to the i-pace for MY2021 and started to appear on cars around Sept 2020.
Hi Steve

Thanks is for that Steve. I’ve had a look at previous posts on SOTA updates and they say that I have select updates On and agree to terms and conditions but after spending nearly an hour in the car there is nowhere to turn on SOTA updates or agree to any conditions. I also made four phones calls to my Jaguar dealership to try and speak to servicing and each time I spent more than 30 minutes on hold and never got through on any of the four occasions.

Not having much luck in this matter…

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have mentioned the very point of software non-updates in other posts. We, the owners, are hostages-to-fortune here because the dealers do not "routinely" update the car unless you specifically ask for it. Even then sometimes they won't provide the update. For the most part, we don't know the software version that is currently installed in many of the ECUs/ modules.

Once the car is out-of-warranty, I don't know if the dealers would charge for updates if they even entertain doing them?

It is a big problem because the first indication that you have a software out-of-date issue could be the car refusing to go or you cant charge at all when previously charging had been ok (as happened to me).

I have just checked and I also have the 16.2 version software. Now the conundrum, do I ask for SOTA to be activated for the update or apply the old adage "if it isn't broken, don't fix it!".

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have mentioned the very point of software non-updates in other posts. We, the owners, are hostages-to-fortune here because the dealers do not "routinely" update the car unless you specifically ask for it. Even then sometimes they won't provide the update. For the most part, we don't know the software version that is currently installed in many of the ECUs/ modules.

Once the car is out-of-warranty, I don't know if the dealers would charge for updates if they even entertain doing them?

It is a big problem because the first indication that you have a software out-of-date issue could be the car refusing to go or you cant charge at all when previously charging had been ok (as happened to me).

I have just checked and I also have the 16.2 version software. Now the conundrum, do I ask for SOTA to be activated for the update or apply the old adage "if it isn't broken, don't fix it!".

Decisions, decisions.
Hi Phil…

Are you able to see an option in settings that allows you to turn On/Off SOTA updates and accept Terms&Conditions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good morning Koala

I was thinking about the unavailability of software updates and two physical issues I have noticed with the car that I need JLR to look at. All in all I love the car and she’s a pleasure to drive. I do however want to look after the car and as cars are more computers these days than they were in the past I also need to ensure it’s software is up to date.

I’m baffled as to why the dealership didn’t update the software in 3 years? The previous owner was a local to the dealership and bought it from them so even after they resold it to the same dealership I would have thought they would have updated it before selling it to us. I also don’t understand why they would disable SOTA updates which would prevent me updating the software as I do for my smart phone, tv and tablet.

Considering the negative side of software issues, while reading through other older threads, people have mentioned issues with Touch Pro Duo and ‘black screens’ and updates that were needed to resolve other issues. As you mentioned password issues connecting to the home Wi-Fi being an example.

With these issues in mind would I have to go through each update to update to the next software version and there by experience the flaws with each update or is it possible to simply update from 16.2 directly to 20.2 in one update?

I am also wondering on the positive side, what am I missing out on (if anything) by the car not having its software being updated in three years? Do old 19 & 20’s get the new Pivi Pro system as a software update or is that a completely different hardware architecture and so not available for older MY19/20’s? What’s the advantage of seeing or knowing that the BCEM software is up to date? Has there been anything since TCU16.2 that is really an absolute necessity or repair that makes you feel “thank god that’s fixed!”? Why would you have it upgraded if you were to?

On my banking app or smart phone it’s obvious why upgrades should be done as it’s a security issue. Is it as important on the iPace or are we talking minor fixes?

Thanks again…

ps I’m asking iPace owners opinions to get a realistic more honest opinion before going to the dealer to be told “everything is fine…” so I sincerely appreciate you and others taking the time to reply.
As an owner for almost 3yrs, I'll add my perspective. Note the relationship you have with dealerships in the UK may be different to ours in the US.

These cars are way beyond the complexity of a cell phone, and so comparing the frequency of updates is perhaps not fair. One aspect of the software that is commonly misunderstood is the complexity of the numerous systems running in parallel together to keep the car running smoothly. What you see as Touch Pro or PIVI is only the front end of the overall system that reports how the car is running and gives infotainment options. This had been updatable OTA since the beginning, and has addressed many cosmetic problems such as forgetting wifi passwords, access to CarPlay, etc. Cars running Touch Pro are using difference hardware to those running PIVI and so it is not possible to switch.

What has not been updatable via OTA until recently (and even now is not uniformally available) has been the vehicle control software that comprises numerous pieces of code that separately run things like the telecommunication unit (TCU), the battery management (BCM) etc etc. In that regard, your car is better compared to your whole office setup including printer, scanner, modem, speakers, and all the other devices hooked into your computer.

There are plenty of stories around the forums of updates to some of these systems crashing the modules and subsequently needing either reinstalling of the older versions, or in a few cases replacing of the physical units. For this reason, most dealerships in the US will not update unless necessary. I am still running TCU version 17.2, and have no problems.

Most ICE vehicles have similar albeit less complex systems controlling the mechanics of the car, and we don't expect them updated unless we have a problem. That is my perspective, using layman's terminology to keep it comparable to other systems we all use. Hope this helps your understanding of what you have bought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts