Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Not been on these parts for a long time - just been enjoying owning the iPace.

The car is a lease deal and it runs out in Sept/October and given lead times on cars have started the process at looking at options. The first choice was going to be just to extend the car - we love it and previous lease experiences have always seen a slight reduction in the monthly cost for the extra 12 or even 24 months.

However the quote to extend the car is an increase of £150 a month! And a quick check on new iPace leases and they are north of £840 a month for the base model (3 years, 10,000 miles and 6 up front) which is £200+ more than I am paying for an SE with metallic and pano roof.

Sadly this is making another / same iPace unaffordable...and having to look at other options but sadly there is not a great deal out there that is (a) as well built (b) as fast (c) as practical, and (d) affordable.

Anyone else looking at the electric car market at the moment and have any thoughts? One potential option is that the current costs are a 'bubble' and take they risk that the market pressures change before Sept/Oct and the cost to extend may improve BUT if they don't then I am stuck with a very expensive lease or very little choice on the 'In stock' market.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is this a personal or business lease? Arval are showing the Ipace SE from £620+VAT for business users.

Whilst I have mine for another 2 years, I am concerned that come renewal time, the costs won't be anywhere near the deal I took out last year (£650ish for an HSE). It appears they were struggling to move the Ipaces on back then, hence the great price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello all

The car is a lease deal and it runs out in Sept/October and given lead times on cars have started the process at looking at options. The first choice was going to be just to extend the car - we love it and previous lease experiences have always seen a slight reduction in the monthly cost for the extra 12 or even 24 months.

However the quote to extend the car is an increase of £150 a month! And a quick check on new iPace leases and they are north of £840 a month for the base model (3 years, 10,000 miles and 6 up front) which is £200+ more than I am paying for an SE with metallic and pano roof.

Sadly this is making another / same iPace unaffordable...and having to look at other options but sadly there is not a great deal out there that is (a) as well built (b) as fast (c) as practical, and (d) affordable.

Anyone else looking at the electric car market at the moment and have any thoughts? One potential option is that the current costs are a 'bubble' and take they risk that the market pressures change before Sept/Oct and the cost to extend may improve BUT if they don't then I am stuck with a very expensive lease or very little choice on the 'In stock' market.
Hi Scapegoat.
My lease finishes in November this year and I am in the same boat. I have not contact Jaguar yet to extend my lease for a year or two. So not sure of the cost. I will be watching to see how you get on.
We are in a difficult position. New cars are in short supply due to the chip shortage and that has caused second hand prices to go up. No news of a new Ipace or other EV cars from Jaguar either. I'm very happy with my lease costs and would love to just carry on paying till till Jaguars plans come out. Then I can make a decision.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a personal lease deal - so the Arval price is OK but still I cannot justify going in to the £700+ bracket.

If you log on to the Jaguar lease portal you can get quotes for extensions - changing term and mileage.

A new EV from jaguar would be nice, but I'd be happy with the latest iPace / my existing again if it was affordable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With my previous vehicles both on PCP (XKR & F Type) I just refinanced the final payment with Jaguar Finance, both vehicles were low mileage and at the time of refinancing I intended to keep the vehicles, in both cases the monthly refinanced HP cost was lower than the original PCP cost, I went for the longest term due to wanting to keep the vehicles and cost low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all

I went the JLR Pivotal route due to the high lease and insurance costs, even the 0% finance deal they had on an I Pace was £1000 / month. Therefore £1000 / month with free insurance and a replacement car every 6 months seemed like a steep but fair deal, no deposit (which masks the true monthly cost) just a joining fee.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It’s difficult for those that need to decide soon but there is plenty of alternative brands to choose from if only delivery was certain. Who knows what the supply situation or new models will be available in 12 months time, at the end of the lease or PCP an IPace will have its value which may be higher or lower than the residual payment. Also I guess the reliability of the car and extended warranty cost will also have an influence.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It’s difficult for those that need to decide soon but there is plenty of alternative brands to choose from if only delivery was certain. Who knows what the supply situation or new models will be available in 12 months time, at the end of the lease or PCP an IPace will have its value which may be higher or lower than the residual payment. Also I guess the reliability of the car and extended warranty cost will also have an influence.
Therein lies the problem with leasing. Buy and you sell on your time, when the market is good. Lease and you lose control. I understand the potential financial advantages of leasing, but prefer to be in control, rather than let some financial institution run my life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Although I'm a cash buyer I agree with this. Nissan are now taking deposits on their new Ariya EV due this summer. I've had a good look at this car and wondered why on earth would I pay an extra 20 thousand+ for an I-pace. I've had all the German stuff in the past as well as other makes and never really been a badge snob ;)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
When Nissan start making decent looking cars the I-Pace will have a fight on its hands. No sign of that happening so far, though (GTR excepted).

·
Registered
25 Posts
When Nissan start making decent looking cars the I-Pace will have a fight on its hands. No sign of that happening so far, though (GTR excepted).
I had a Qashqai in 2014 and swore to never own another NIssan as it was cheaply built and a pile of junk. At least 13 faults in 13 months and Nissan managed to only fix one of them. Even that was only after I produced the Nissan tech bulletin proving the air con failure was a common occurence and nothing at all to do with me causing the damage by driving over a stone. I even had the Nissan tech tell me once that, "yes I can hear that very annoying and loud rattle behind the dashboard, but I looked and can't fix it". Another time the guy told me that while he accepted the suspension had a serious squeak that he could not fix it as without a tech bulleting Nissan would not approve payment for any work done.

Bought it new and sold it 14 months later and was never as happy to take a £12k hit on a car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
why on earth would I pay an extra 20 thousand+ for an I-pace
You know I came to the opposite conclusion about the Ariya. The full fat e-4ORCE 87kWh Performance is not a quick as an IPace and has a lower WLTP and it starts at £58.4K.
That's pretty unimpressive considering it is being released 4 years later. Even before the IPACE £10K discounts reappear why would you buy a questionable looking Nissan instead of the IPace?
I am actually pro-Nissan (I was the first UK Leaf buyer in 2011) so I'm very disappointed with the Ariya.
For the record both my Leafs were 100% reliable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You know I came to the opposite conclusion about the Ariya. The full fat e-4ORCE 87kWh Performance is not a quick as an IPace and has a lower WLTP and it starts at £58.4K.
That's pretty unimpressive considering it is being released 4 years later. Even before the IPACE £10K discounts reappear why would you buy a questionable looking Nissan instead of the IPace?
I am actually pro-Nissan (I was the first UK Leaf buyer in 2011) so I'm very disappointed with the Ariya.
For the record both my Leafs were 100% reliable.
Nissan are quoting 5.1 sec 0-60 time @394bhp so really not that much in it. The spec for the £58K full-fat Ariya is right up there with the I-pace HSE spec at £80K+. I much prefer the look of the Nissan - never could quite get past the styling on the rear end of the I-pace, but that's a personal thing of course.

·
Registered
150 Posts
To be fair I think the Ariya looks like the best of the competent £50K alternatives to the IPace (like the Polestar2, Ioniq5, EV6) and I will certainly take a test drive in case it surprises.
Really though my complaint is the lack of progress over the last 4 years by any manufacturer (JLR included).
Styling aside the alternatives are all surprisingly comparable. The Model Y makes some progress in efficiency otherwise does not appeal.
Happily I have a Pivotal subscription so I will request a new IPace for the next 6 months and see what else is announced ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
To be fair I think the Ariya looks like the best of the competent £50K alternatives to the IPace (like the Polestar2, Ioniq5, EV6) and I will certainly take a test drive in case it surprises.
Really though my complaint is the lack of progress over the last 4 years by any manufacturer (JLR included).
Styling aside the alternatives are all surprisingly comparable. The Model Y makes some progress in efficiency otherwise does not appeal.
Happily I have a Pivotal subscription so I will request a new IPace for the next 6 months and see what else is announced ...
Yes likewise, I'll give it a test drive when available and do the usual observations on build quality; material quality, etc. If not happy then I'll more than likely purchase a used I-pace. Just hope that used prices get back to some kind of normality by then. :unsure:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts