Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how i-Pace will fare in the insurance stakes, but presumably no-one knows as yet?

I'm thinking of things like: as (typically, probably) a £70K+ car, will most insurance companies insist on tracker installation? How will the i-Pace be rated for insurance? Higher than par because of potentially increased damage repair costs, possible battery damage repair, or maybe lower than par because an EV may (???) be less appealing to steal?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good question . . I don't know what the experience has been like for Tesla owners (does anyone on here look at their forum?), they're really the only other high-value EVs currently in circulation out there.

I'm sure, like any luxury new car, it could be a potential target for theft.

G

·
My F-Pace was £65 for a similar 0-60 and higher top speed.
I live just outside the M25. (Epping).
I had 9+ years No Claims
Parked on a Drive
And I'm 43+

Total cost was £550 a year.

I don't feel the I-Pace will be that more than a high end F-Pace or XJ.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My insurance here in Switzerland treats the Tesla the same way as it does other cars.

In Switzerland we have a Tesla Club which has negotiated special prices with an insurance company and this special price is lower then the price for the insurance for a ICE car!

·
Registered
478 Posts
johnd said:
Just wondering how i-Pace will fare in the insurance stakes, but presumably no-one knows as yet?

I'm thinking of things like: as (typically, probably) a £70K+ car, will most insurance companies insist on tracker installation? How will the i-Pace be rated for insurance? Higher than par because of potentially increased damage repair costs, possible battery damage repair, or maybe lower than par because an EV may (???) be less appealing to steal?
The i-Pace already has a tracker built in so that shouldn't be an issue. I pay £630 a year to insure my 3L Petrol F-Pace with a £500 excess and full no-claims bonus and I expect the i-Pace will be similar.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thincat said:
The i-Pace already has a tracker built in so that shouldn't be an issue.
That's likely to have a significant annual subscription cost though, maybe eg £200pa. It's like my Macan that also has a built-in tracker, but very few users seem to activate it because of (i) the annual fee; and (ii) false alarms that get triggered for various reasons; (iii) in general there seems to be a reluctance to accept back a car that's been stolen and then had who knows what done to it - users seem the prefer the situation where if it is stolen then insurance/GAP comes into play immediately.

It's not a deal-breaker, but life would be simpler if a tracker wasn't mandatory.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My F-Pace has to have a SIM card fitted for traffic info, tracker and internet access and I had to source it myself (£5 a month).
Apparently because the i-Pace updates software over the internet Jaguar provide a SIM including a lot of data, including a contract for 3 years. Therefore the tracker should work without any other cost. The Jaguar App works like 'find my phone' with live info and a map helping you to find your parked car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For Porsche (or at least for Macan, but no reason to think other models are different) there are two different levels of connectivity.

One is as you describe for OTA software updates, access to Internet services etc. This one you can provide your own SIM for.

The second is the tracking service (and maybe other extra services too) via Vodafone currently and I guess a built-in SIM that's not available to the first service. IIRC you get an option of one year free, but thereafter it's the significant annual cost I mentioned upthread.

Not saying that JLR will be the same (ie 2 levels of service) but it's at least a possibility.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dave3 said:
Fleet News already quote insurance group for i-pace as Group 45
My concern was not really whether or not it has an insurance group allocated (which I'm sure it does, at least provisionally). It was more about what, if any, special extra conditions an insurer might impose, eg like insisting on having an active tracker - I know that some insurers do so once a car's value passes a certain threshold like eg £70K. (A tracker might sound like a good idea but there's often costs and hassles associated.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts