Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: I'm not part of ABRP nor affiliate. I don't earn money with them, I only got a free premium account for having participated to the development for MY21/22 model.
Now the good stuff ;)

Very soon, maybe even before Xmas, it will be available to all users (no premium account required) the possibiltiy to use ABRP to read data from the I-Pace ODB port. Testing is almost complted in general, MY21/22 is fully working, MY19/20 will be available soon.

ABRP will use live data to improve the consumption model and to updated while driving the energy required to get to the destination, eventually adding new chargers and/or suggesting to slow down. Beside that, most of the data will be visible to the user in the settings page (still a little bit a work in progress). The data that wil lbe colleced are (V = visible):

SoC (V)
SoH
Voltage (V)
Current
Power (V)
Real speed (not visible at the moment but arriving soon)
Battery temperature (V)
External temperature (V)
Odometer (V)
GPS location (V)
Elevation (V)

HW requiremet
Android or iOS smartphone
OBD BLE (Bluetooth low energy) dongle

ODB BLE dongles are a little bit more expensive than the "standard" ones though. In the future it's possbile that for Android also the cheaper ones will be supoprted.
I don't have an offical list of suported dongles, but I can tell you that the OBDLink CX does work. Unfortunatley it's mostly out of stock and a kind of expensive (about 70 euro on Amazon.de)

This is a screenshot to give you an idea of the end result:
Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Multimedia

Basically no more Torque Pro and welcome iOS users ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice work Kermit. I will give it another try. I see the folks at ABRP update their product a lot, carplay available and everything.
last time I used it it lost location too often so I stopped and labeled it “not worth the money for me”. But I see a lot of possibilities for their app. I think the option tosearch for chargers by amenities is a USP.
at the moment I use all your work in torque pro whenever I go on a long trip and need to charge fast.

Reactions: Grunt and kermit68

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kermit
Do you have any timelines for release or the ABRP features
Technically speaking it's already available in the app but it will appear as option only to selected users (the ones running the finl tests). The idea was to relase for Xmas as a "gift", not sure if they will meet the deadline but it's a matter of days now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Technically speaking it's already available in the app but it will appear as option only to selected users (the ones running the finl tests). The idea was to relase for Xmas as a "gift", not sure if they will meet the deadline but it's a matter of days now.
Amazing, will go and get me a ODB BLE dongle

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just added to the top post the list of confimed working OBD BLE dongles. It does not mean that others BLE dongles won't work, just that those are the ones that have been tested up to now.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Working iOS version released at lunch time. Android will have to wait a few more hours.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Working iOS version released at lunch time. Android will have to wait a few more hours.
If you already have Tronity linked to ABRP for live (API) data, do you first have to unlink the Tronity connection to link to the BTT OBD?
I don't see it listed in the new iOS app.

·
Registered
68 Posts
really interested in this, but my only reservation is that OBD BT dongles are inherently Insecure and leave the vehicle open to being, well, opened!

does anyone know of a secure dongle that works in the I-Pace with ABRP?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you already have Tronity linked to ABRP for live (API) data, do you first have to unlink the Tronity connection to link to the BTT OBD?
I don't see it listed in the new iOS app.
Yes, you have to unlink any previuos connection to see all the options, included the new one for OBD

Reactions: Jaglar

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
really interested in this, but my only reservation is that OBD BT dongles are inherently Insecure and leave the vehicle open to being, well, opened!

I don't think there are on the market really hacking proof OBD Dongles. Some like OBDLink are slighlty better as they offer a limited time window for connection but the best solution is to remove the ODB when you leave the car. It's annoying but once you get used it's an automatic gesture (at least for me ;))

Reactions: paul_h

·
Registered
203 Posts

It is really possible to open a closed, powered down vehicle via a BT OBD?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is really possible to open a closed, powered down vehicle via a BT OBD?
The problem is that the vehicle is never really powered down. When you lock it for about 15 minutes all the ECUs are alive and only God knows how many packets go up and down on the ODB bus. Then, most of the ECUs are sleeping but for sure some of them are awake like the TCU that at least for 2 days is exchanging data with JLR servers. After 2 days the TCU goes to to sleep too, but just think that as soon as you push one of the buttons on the handle some ECU needs to be awaken as it has to check if the remote is close to the door.

In other word, modern cars are not like an old Fiat 500 with zero electronic and where you have software you alwyas have a potential vulnerability to exploit. With the Fiat 500 you can only break the glass... :D

Reactions: paul_h and Jaglar

·
Registered
203 Posts
The problem is that the vehicle is never really powered down. When you lock it for about 15 minutes all the ECUs are alive and only God knows how many packets go up and down on the ODB bus. Then, most of the ECUs are sleeping but for sure some of them are awake like the TCU that at least for 2 days is exchanging data with JLR servers. After 2 days the TCU goes to to sleep too, but just think that as soon as you push one of the buttons on the handle some ECU needs to be awaken as it has to check if the remote is close to the door.

In other word, modern cars are not like an old Fiat 500 with zero electronic and where you have software you alwyas have a potential vulnerability to exploit. With the Fiat 500 you can only break the glass... :D
At least with the I-Pace you need a bigger hammer :)
I observed that the BT OBD is only emitting when the Start/On button has been pressed, at least that is what I see on the BT device menu of the phone.
As soon as you shut down, the BT connection is lost.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm assuming MY22 will work too but I had no access to such model so somebody will have to try.

MY19 and MY20 will come soon too. The person in charge for the test won't be able to complete the test for a couple of weeks though.

Unfortunately some PIDs and ECUs addresses are different among the 2 families as we have learned over time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good job Kermit68!!
Finally an app for iOS.
the OBD2 stay responsive even after 15 min. I was able to collect data for at 6 hours with the car off when I was monitoring the car in pre condition context. I guess when the car is in deep sleep, all ECU are silent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good job Kermit68!!
Finally an app for iOS.
the OBD2 stay responsive even after 15 min. I was able to collect data for at 6 hours with the car off when I was monitoring the car in pre condition context. I guess when the car is in deep sleep, all ECU are silent.
So the OBD continues to receive power and transmit when the car is on timed charging?
Is this also the case during the charging?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts