Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to enter into a contract and order a I pace but alas its on hold you may ask why answer is I thought the I pace was built in the uk seeing as its in Austria then its out of the question it will look like a leaf 64k when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
chippy said:
Was going to enter into a contract and order a I pace but alas its on hold you may ask why answer is I thought the I pace was built in the uk seeing as its in Austria then its out of the question it will look like a leaf 64k when it comes out.
Why is it out of the question?
Magna build cars for BMW and Mercedes as well as JLR. Is it a quality issue or is it related to BREXIT?

I would like to think that a good number of the components are shipped from the UK.
There are rumours that JLR is setting up an EV line in Solihull for late 2019.

·
Registered
243 Posts
SammyD said:
Interesting. Wonder if that's likely to be J-Pace. Must say though that my real preference would be something a bit smaller, eg H-Pace. Hyundai have managed to put a 64kWh battery in a Kona, so that sort of size but 4WD / twin motors and more of a premium finish would be great.

[Apologies for the thread drift!]

G

·
I have some sympathy with Chippy's concern that the i-pace is not yet manufactured in the UK. Magna's credentials are well established, from their work for other premium brands, but also on the successful launch of the e-pace, however I do hope that JLR will build their EV capabilities in the UK. I guess that the first opportunity for them to demonstrate commitment to that will come with the EV XJ model promised for the same time as that rumoured EV line in Solihull.

Over 50,000 of the original Nissan Leaf were reportedly built on Wearside, and deliveries of the New Leaf from there began earlier this year - but however impressive its competence, its not a Jaguar.

·
Registered
478 Posts
johnd said:
SammyD said:
Interesting. Wonder if that's likely to be J-Pace. Must say though that my real preference would be something a bit smaller, eg H-Pace. Hyundai have managed to put a 64kWh battery in a Kona, so that sort of size but 4WD / twin motors and more of a premium finish would be great.

[Apologies for the thread drift!]
Jaguar have shown no interest in ever building small cars like the Kona and they will have their work cut out developing EV versions of the XJ, XK/F-Type, not to mention the E-Pace, XF and XE. Where they build the cars will depend upon Brexit and where the market is but they have said that they plan to develop the Birmingham and Solihull plants to produce EV's.

All major car manufacturers are international businesses and JLR is part of the Indian Tata Group. I think the key thing is that the design and development and a large portion of the components are sourced in the UK. The final car should be virtually identical whether it is built in the UK, Austria or China.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thincat said:
Jaguar have shown no interest in ever building small cars like the Kona
Sorry, I wrote that without actually checking the Kona dimensions - it's shorter than I thought (not seen one in the flesh as yet). I was thinking more E-Pace size (eg 4.4m). So there'd be nothing revolutionary in JLR making the E-Pace equivalent of the I-Pace and including eg a 70kWh battery.

But I agree - you can't prescribe where a given car is made. For better-selling cars, some variants are made in one factory and others in another factory/country. (And FWIW I think the UK car industry is finished anyway post-Brexit and will shortly be in long-term decline - margins are too slim and operating flexibility too important to cope with even minor extra barriers, but that's definitely another topic :cry: )

·
Registered
454 Posts
According to Alex Whatsit at Millbrook last w/e, UK is getting 2,500 I-Paces out of the first year production of 25K. This surprisingly (to me) low figure may possibly be distorted by prioritisation of NL (and elsewhere?) because of expiring tax breaks; but perhaps it just shows how insignificant UK is for a global company like JLR.
I don't really want to use the B-word, but when we drop out of EU without a deal, will anyone but us notice?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
DougTheMac said:
I don't really want to use the B-word, but when we drop out of EU without a deal, will anyone but us notice?
Apart from the 10% price increase you mean? AFAIk, 10% is what WTO rules applies to all imports.
I really hope to get mine before the end of march 2019. Supposed to be being built in January.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts