Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my I-Pace since September (one of the first in the UK) and absolutely love the car - design, refinement, performance, handling, comfort. Grace, pace, space - it is a worthy successor to the four XJs I've owned over the past 40 years (including a V12 and two supercharged XJRs) and is a lovely (and very fast) complement to my Aston Martin DB9, sharing Ian Callum as the design head.

However, In digital functionality it has a way to go with (some intermittent) issues:

Range indication
Laggy touch screen responses
Wifi code not stored
Frozen screens
Navigation information errors
Jaguar app mobile connection issues
Phone hands-free connectivity issues
Cameras not working
Parking assistance (compared with some fully automatic vehicles, in this respect)

I am not looking for a fully autonomous vehicle as I don't think I could trust it to make good, ethically humane, decisions in extreme situations.

As a Jaguar fan and early adopter in their EV programme I am happy to work with them to help this along - it is the future.... and, to me, the transport world will be a worse place if we just had bland computers on wheels.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Makes you wonder did anyone actually test the car or did they just believe their own sales pitch. When I watch any of the older videos on the I-PACE it makes me angry listening to how proud they are of timed charging, wireless phone charging etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
And lack of features.....

With the small brick in my pocket (Jaguar call it a key), when I walk up to the car in the dark I have to fumble around to get it out of my pocket because there is no way to see the button on the retracted door handles to be able to open the door manually.

On my Tesla it knew I was close by and presented the door handles with no prompting from me or need to interact physically with the key. In fact, why should we need to carry the key? The car is linked to my phone and knows it is nearby, even the lowly Model 3 from Tesla supports that.

I keep my Charging cable in the Froot. At night when I get home in the dark I have to scrabble around to find the froot release button under the dashboard because the car has to be off and the door opened before you can push the release button. In this state the lights on the buttons under the dash are turned off and you cannot see them in the dark.

Why is the light in the charge port so bright and positioned in such a way that in the dark it is difficult to see the connection point, maybe this is my old eyes.

Why do I have to press a Start button to power up the system? This is so old hat with a modern car. I have to press the brake pedal, then press a button. The Tesla is smart enough to not need the button.

I think Jaguar has to start thinking more like a tech company that a car company in this respect.

The Infotainment system is ridiculously slow. I had a chat today with Jaguar and they said that there was a new release today for the Infotainment system that would address these issues. I checked for an update in the car and after 5 mins of the four colour squares rotating, I was told that no update was available :-(

I've connected the car to my home WiFi in case it was a connection issue with the OTA updates, but that made no difference.

Is there anyway of getting the car phone system to take phone calls from my mobile phone if I leave it at home? I have fitted a SIM card to the car for data. Again, this is another simple thing that my Tesla did.

I have the S version of the car. I find it ridiculous that the cruise control does not support slowing down for traffic. £60k for a car that doesn't have a feature that even the basic 2018 Nissan Leaf offers as standard in a car that cost £25k.

Why does the car roll backwards if I don't have creep turned on. You come gently to a stop using one pedal driving then have to rush to get your foot on the brake before the car rolls backwards if you are on a hill. The handbrake button is in an awkward position under the dashboard so is difficult to use in this case. Why is there no way to set the handbrake to come on automatically when the car comes to a stop? My old Citroen C4 could do that. It's same if you are on a downward slope - you have to keep your foot on the brake or the car will roll away.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The handbrake does come on to prevent the car rolling backwards, provided you come to a stop and press the foot brake. Unfortunately it doesn't do this when facing down an incline, so you must apply the handbrake manually.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chewy said:

With the small brick in my pocket (Jaguar call it a key), when I walk up to the car in the dark I have to fumble around to get it out of my pocket because there is no way to see the button on the retracted door handles to be able to open the door manually.

On my Tesla it knew I was close by and presented the door handles with no prompting from me or need to interact physically with the key. In fact, why should we need to carry the key? The car is linked to my phone and knows it is nearby, even the lowly Model 3 from Tesla supports that.

I keep my Charging cable in the Froot. At night when I get home in the dark I have to scrabble around to find the froot release button under the dashboard because the car has to be off and the door opened before you can push the release button. In this state the lights on the buttons under the dash are turned off and you cannot see them in the dark.

Why is the light in the charge port so bright and positioned in such a way that in the dark it is difficult to see the connection point, maybe this is my old eyes.

Why do I have to press a Start button to power up the system? This is so old hat with a modern car. I have to press the brake pedal, then press a button. The Tesla is smart enough to not need the button.

I think Jaguar has to start thinking more like a tech company that a car company in this respect.

The Infotainment system is ridiculously slow. I had a chat today with Jaguar and they said that there was a new release today for the Infotainment system that would address these issues. I checked for an update in the car and after 5 mins of the four colour squares rotating, I was told that no update was available :-(

I've connected the car to my home WiFi in case it was a connection issue with the OTA updates, but that made no difference.

Is there anyway of getting the car phone system to take phone calls from my mobile phone if I leave it at home? I have fitted a SIM card to the car for data. Again, this is another simple thing that my Tesla did.

I have the S version of the car. I find it ridiculous that the cruise control does not support slowing down for traffic. £60k for a car that doesn't have a feature that even the basic 2018 Nissan Leaf offers as standard in a car that cost £25k.

Why does the car roll backwards if I don't have creep turned on. You come gently to a stop using one pedal driving then have to rush to get your foot on the brake before the car rolls backwards if you are on a hill. The handbrake button is in an awkward position under the dashboard so is difficult to use in this case. Why is there no way to set the handbrake to come on automatically when the car comes to a stop? My old Citroen C4 could do that. It's same if you are on a downward slope - you have to keep your foot on the brake or the car will roll away.
I presume you are on v14.5? 13.2 (and 14.2) are better, I think (which includes anti roll back on the touch of the foot brake pedal).

"You pays your money and takes your choice", as the saying goes:

The driving experience and build quality are superior to Tesla, according to most reviews. Jaguar will continually update the software to existing cars. Can Tesla do anything to improve the quality and mechanical engineering of those already produced? Tesla's expensive built-in obsolescence?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
mbart777 said:
Chewy said:

I presume you are on v14.5? 13.2 (and 14.2) are better, I think (which includes anti roll back on the touch of the foot brake pedal).

"You pays your money and takes your choice", as the saying goes:

The driving experience and build quality are superior to Tesla, according to most reviews. Jaguar will continually update the software to existing cars. Can Tesla do anything to improve the quality and mechanical engineering of those already produced? Tesla's expensive built-in obsolescence?
Build quality and Drive of the Jaguar is far superior to the Tesla I had. The interior is something that Tesla owners can only dream about.

The issues I moan about are things that should be easy for Jaguar to resolve with OTA software updates. As you suggest, the lack of quality and luxury in the Tesla is not something that can be easily resolved.

The I-Pace is not a competitor for the Tesla Model S (a large saloon), or the Model X (a small bus). It is a mid-sized SUV that is built to an extremely high level of quality that befits the Jaguar name. However, they do need to think about customer convenience with an EV. Jaguar has proved that an EV can drive well and be differentiated from other EVs. However, to keep ahead of the crowd, tech features need to be at the forefront.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.