Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is our first motorway long range run its around 140 miles. We started off with indicative full charge of 177 miles Our plan was to charge for 30 mins somewhere around 100 miles. So we stopped at Tibshelf with 74 miles left plugged in to Ecotricity the cable was too short so had to go in at angle went for a coffee then realised that the charging station was not a fast charger- upon ringing them up the assistant advised we need a CCS capable charge station to get the faster charge. Okay our bad maybe should have looked into this more we had assumed all motorway chargers would be fast chargers! Why would they be anything else;) He advised the next services has this. We left Tibshelf with 86 miles and arrived at Woodhall services 74 miles to find the charger out of order!! We now realise that the connector has two additional prongs for faster charging. Our next nearest fast charger was Ikea Sheffield so we came off the motorway through christmas traffic around meadow hall to plug in here. This worked fine and we charged to 100 miles i hear you saying why do you need such headroom after all we only had 30 miles to go but the point is that we wanted enough headroom to make sure we could get to a fast charger on return leg! So here we are now in Barnsley with 70 mile range enough to get us to a fast charger on way home ... ??? Our first experience maybe unlucky but the infrastructure just doesnt seem to be there if we had arrived at woodhall with only 20 mile range

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't rely on Ecotricity. Get ZapMap on your smartphone and look for Instavolt chargers as they are fast, reliable and only need a debit or credit card. Or Polar Instant for one off use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Congratulations on making your first trip, anything outside your range does require some forethought, but that situation is going to get better as the infrastructure grows.
I look forward to seeing another I-pace on the roundabouts of Milton Keynes.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
J2T2 said:
Don't rely on Ecotricity. Get ZapMap on your smartphone and look for Instavolt chargers as they are fast, reliable and only need a debit or credit card. Or Polar Instant for one off use.
Could not agree more with that.

The next step would be to properly include all compatible chargers (Fast or Slow) into a route planner.
I prefer to do this on a large screen at home and download the .ITN or .GPX file into my SatNav.
If one of the route planners would include this data( and update it regularly), I'm sure they'd get lot of new subscribers.

Then the final step would be to have real time CP status sent to our cars just like Tesla has done for years with the Superchargers.

we still have a long way to go...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll take the diesal next time ... to unreliable if the Rotherham charger was out wed have 30 miles range to find another working one and Ecotricity was still broken on M1 southbound Woodhall

·
Registered
122 Posts
ipace MK said:
We'll take the diesal next time ... to unreliable if the Rotherham charger was out wed have 30 miles range to find another working one and Ecotricity was still broken on M1 southbound Woodhall
Was this a journey to and from Barnsley in the day? If so, I can sympathise with the "next time it's the diesel" but have a look at using the Instavolts at Bannatyne just off first junction of M18. If it's like others you can get a coffee and 30 minutes will see 25kWh or so into the I-Pace. That would probably give you the 280 mile round trip range.
If you had an overnight stay then the granny cable option works well for us for similar journeys. We head from Kent to Oxford (about 120 miles) to see offspring and then charge overnight (say 15 hours). That gives us over 30kWh and easily gets us back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts