Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, I installed the original mudflaps.
Front and rear.
They look great, very high quality, excellent installation kit.
We have no way without them in the winter.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vovvw said:
Yes, I installed the original mudflaps.
Front and rear.
They look great, very high quality, excellent installation kit.
We have no way without them in the winter.
Did you fit them yourself or have the dealer fit them for you? If so I've a question about fitting the rear ones. The instructions say to drill 3 x 10mm holes in the rear bumper per mudflap but the bolts that hold the mudflaps on are only 6mm?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Baikar said:
Did you fit them yourself or have the dealer fit them for you? If so I've a question about fitting the rear ones. The instructions say to drill 3 x 10mm holes in the rear bumper per mudflap but the bolts that hold the mudflaps on are only 6mm?
I installed not myself, but from an Audi dealer :)
Dealer JLR 600km from me.
They had no problems, all according to the instructions.
I was near, but unfortunately, I don't remember about the diameter of the holes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
it would be unusual to have a 6mm bolt running directly in a 6mm hole with direct metal-to-metal contact. Do you have the mud flap and assembly kit in your possession already ?

Maybe the mud flap includes a sleeve (of 10mm diameter) that is inserted in the hole, and the bolt runs through the sleeve ?
Or there might be a separate sleeve/spacer as part of the kit ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can you post some pics please. Does anyone know if they reduce efficiency and if so by how much?

·
Registered
528 Posts
the fixture relies primarily on the adhesive to keep the mudguard in place, and the 3 screws are just used to compress the mudguard against the adhesive at those 3 locations.

Having a 6mm screw in a 10mm hole therefore doesn't matter, there is little potential for 'movement' because of the adhesive and because the screws only function is to compress the mudguard against the adhesive strip.

It's not "neat" but looks to be OK. I'm sure you could drill smaller hole if you wished, but then the chance of screw/hole metal-to-metal contact is higher, so I see no reason why you shouldn't follow the instructions as provided - the adhesive strip will keep it in place.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Baikar said:
Not sure what you mean by metal to metal contact?
if you put a metal screw in a hole in a sheet of metal, then the side of the screw will come into contact with the metal sheet.
I am assuming that the 3 holes have to be drilled through metal, so was referring to this contact between the metal (screw) and the metal (body panel).

It's not a big deal, but metal to metal contact on untreated material is not ideal, especially when the materials are different. I assume in this case it will be an aluminum screw in an aluminium panel, but can't tell if that's really the case.

In any case the instructions you linked to look reasonable to me, and I don't see any problem having the hole @10mm for the reasons I gave above......

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah I see. No need to worry about it though as any holes that have to be drilled are through plastic. I've just fitted front and rear mufflaps this afternoon. I tried firstly with a 6mm hole and then increased it to an 8mm to make alignment easier. I can see no reason to drill a 10mm hole in the bumper.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Any thoughts on just having front mudflaps? After one week the lower left side of the car is rather muddy and I am thinking of getting just front flaps fitted. Not sure that it needs rears - anyone think it really does? I live on a farm and the roads round here are filthy in the winter. I am something of a seasoned winner of the dirtiest car in the carpark award but wonder if I should make a bit of an effort...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have just fitted a front mudflap, only one and that took over an hour, why? because I didnt quite get where the strip of metal goes. Finally discovered it goes behind the existing plastic that the liner fits behind. Then it all makes sense. Instructions are a bit vague on that aspect.

Only slight issue is that one of the liner slots that carries the captive nut is slightly showing above the mudflap. No amount of tugging would persuade the liner to go any further down. Will gets some black sikaflex and bung that hole up or more than likely I will have a further fight with it once I have done the nearside and learnt some more tricks. Its odd because the liner is fully down.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update on my previous post nearside liner did exactly the same thing , all very weird, I suspect it's a lump of foam that the liner pushes against that I am not able to push the liner past but the fixing hole next to the wing is exactly in the correct place as is the inboard end. If I was to do it again perhaps some silicone spray would help .

So a bit of X8 black hybrid sealant from Screwfix has done the trick its more an adhesive than a sealant. Still it pains me to have had to do that but hey ho life's too short to worry about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts