Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Chippy, I don't know exactly what you mean with Multi function cable. Do you mean the normal charging cable? That one is 5m. So a little more than a car's lenght. Modifying a charging cable seems like a very bad idea. There are huge currents flowing through these cables so wouldn't recommend extending it by soldering and some heat shrink tubing... If the cable is not long enough, I would either order a longer cable or order a wall box with a fixed, longer cable. When ordering my wall box I could either order an 8m fixed cable or 6m generic charging cable (type 2).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Unfortunately, those currents are not that huge.. 3300 w?
At 400V that would be about 9 amps
At 240V that would be 14 amps

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bart said:
Unfortunately, those currents are not that huge.. 3300 w?
At 400V that would be about 9 amps
At 240V that would be 14 amps
Actually most cables support up to 32A on 230V. If you think that is not a lot, I would recommend you to learn a bit more about electricity... Half of that power (16A/3500W) is more than sufficient for even welding metal! And 16A and some bad contacts or longer cable can already produce quite some heat ar even set your house on fire... What frequently happens if people start messing around with their electricity system... :shock:

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the cable is too short buy another longer one. Do not try to extend it. My cable from my V60 phev is for 16A max and is stif and thicker than a normal cable. So for 32A cable you will get more thickness.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Snoerd said:
Actually most cables support up to 32A on 230V. If you think that is not a lot, I would recommend you to learn a bit more about electricity... Half of that power (16A/3500W) is more than sufficient for even welding metal! And 16A and some bad contacts or longer cable can already produce quite some heat ar even set your house on fire... What frequently happens if people start messing around with their electricity system... :shock:
Snoerd, what I tried to point out is that I wished JLR opted for a bit more powerfull charger / inverter.. Of course, don't mess with the cables yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.