Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Multiple users with InControl Remote app

14K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  craftyali 
#1 ·
@crc@jaguar

I picked up my car at the dealership in Norway at the 24th of April, and had a very good handover with a skilled sales rep. But working with software technology and development on daily basis, had me to ask a few control questions, one of them being "can multiple users utilize the remote app, and how to connect? The answer was yes, and on how to I was told to add more users through my "admin" InControl account. So much not. I struggled for multiple days, I believe I was also able to somehow send an invite for my girlfriend to connect with her InControl account, but this just lead to a "catch22" as when she was told in the setup process to add the vehicle VIN, the system replied that she could not, because the vehicle was already in use with another account. So after pulling my hear and teeth, I'm now rather bold, I sent an email to JLR Norway asking for guidance. And upon receiving their answer, I almost started crying and considered putting on a helmet and a life jacket, and run into a frontal collision with a semi trailer to end the misery and get rid of the car...... Their reply was:

"Just share the username and password you created with anyone else that should have access to the car"

Seriously???? You Never Share Your Username, Password, or PIN with anyone. Period!! Not your wife, not your husband, not your lovers, not your kids, cats, dogs or whoever might come into thoughts. This is one of the main and basic rules of information security. Never, never, never. Kids learns this in school at the age of 9 in Norway. And JLR's official recommendation is share? Give me a break. Even Mercedes Benz have figured this out, and we are multiple users with independent accounts assigned to the car. And I say even MB, because the basically sucks when it comes to infotainment and user interfaces.

So the millón dollar question, do you know if JLR is planning to do anything about this topic? If you haven't outsourced your software development to India or somewhere similar, it shouldn't take to much time to change the program code..., If I or any of my developers had delivered anything remotely ugly as a solution, we would have been unemployed.

And when I'm at it, why do we have to fight with Jaguarincontrol.com and Jaguar.here.com? Why can not all be managed through one user interface and one account? Didn't JLR realize that the demographics of EV buyers is slightly different than "fat COE in medium large company in his late fifties wants a status symbol and doesn't give a rats as about technology"?

@Dan: fue to your previous insightful and thorough answers, I hope you can take your time to answer about your thoughts and JLRs plans to rectify the security risk they are encouraging. The rest of the "sour" considerations from my part, please ignore them, as I just had to blow off the steam. Nothing personal, you guys representing crc@jaguar are presenting valuable insight to the I-Pace mysterious world.

Short summary: love my car as a premium car, hate the maturity of the software and user interface technology. But not so much that I will keep my MB 🤪

See less See more
G
#2 ·
When I put my car into the dealer to investigate the connection issues they wanted to know my In Control Password, so I had to change it on the App to one that I would only use temporarily, and changed again on return of the vehicle.

Ideally I would want to be able to have tiers of users with access privileges controllable by myself as the master user, and only me able to assign or change passwords. Maybe JLR can evolve the software along those lines.

#3 ·
mjc said:
When I put my car into the dealer to investigate the connection issues they wanted to know my In Control Password, so I had to change it on the App to one that I would only use temporarily, and changed again on return of the vehicle.

Ideally I would want to be able to have tiers of users with access privileges controllable by myself as the master user, and only me able to assign or change passwords. Maybe JLR can evolve the software along those lines.
First of all, the dealer asking for your password must be a bad joke. I would have told them to jump off a bridge or something. 🤪 That said, I totally agree with you, I will sign up to be your best supporter if ever in need of backing your view, of course JLR have to come up with a solution. In 2019, telling their customers to share user names and passwords, should be considered a crime. They really want to be considered premium, but on the tech side, they are probably beaten even by North Korean cars if they should start producing. As I mentioned in my post, even Merced's Benz got their multiple user assignment to work years ago. And they ara lousy on tech as well.

#4 ·
oappelgren said:
First of all, the dealer asking for your password must be a bad joke. In 2019, telling their customers to share user names and passwords, should be considered a crime.
Good thing JLR can claim that it's a rogue dealer and they would *never* endorse such a request :roll:

It's my understanding that the OS is MS IoT ... what do the other manufacturers use? (I believe Tesla is in house linux? What about Audi, Merc, Kia for example?)

#5 ·
sciencegeek said:
oappelgren said:
First of all, the dealer asking for your password must be a bad joke. In 2019, telling their customers to share user names and passwords, should be considered a crime.
It's my understanding that the OS is MS IoT ... what do the other manufacturers use? (I believe Tesla is in house linux? What about Audi, Merc, Kia for example?)
I don't have a clue to be honest, but should it matter to much. It should probably be an easy fix to update their coding to allow multiple users. With my MB account at MercedesMe, I can authorize any user with a valid Me account to have access to the car via the MercedesMe app. It should be a simple "if/else-ish" statement in the code taking care of it. My developers at work was not sure if to start crying on behalf of the JLR SW developers, or if they should roll around on the floor laughing 😂

#6 ·
Good Morning oappelgren

Thank you for your post.

I am concerned to learn of the experience you have had so far, and I would like to ensure you receive the correct information.

Please may I request you send me a PM with the following information:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal contact details

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#7 ·
FFS Dan - This is your answer to nearly every query, just, PLEASE, answer the question then everyone who wants to know the answer can see it, or is the information top secret?

#10 ·
Good morning,

I have the same problem to link my VIN Code with my account jaguar.here.com
I a french customer and I call the French CRC and they said me they dont any administrator access to this application.
II am waiting for a resolution of this problem since May 2019.
I can not update my navigation system.
Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot, I hope, Dan can help me too.

#11 ·
malcosas2309 said:
Good morning,

I have the same problem to link my VIN Code with my account jaguar.here.com
I a french customer and I call the French CRC and they said me they dont any administrator access to this application.
II am waiting for a resolution of this problem since May 2019.
I can not update my navigation system.
Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot, I hope, Dan can help me too.
I would go to your dealer who can download and install the latest map on your car

#13 ·
malcosas2309 said:
Thanks for your answer but I thought I could do it myself. Many functionalites do not run in my vehicule, Jaguar Route planner, Live, ….
I already went to see him for the problems but he can not find the fault.
Have you a idea ?
You are right you should be able to do it yourself : create your account in jaguar.here.com and after one or two days your VIN number will be
associated by JLR with your Here account . Then and only then you will be able to download the maps upgrade.
This morning I had to drop by my dealer and he upgraded the satnav in 30 minutes .
I am not familiar with Jaguar route planner since I prefer to use abetterrouteplanner.com and then create way points in satnav
Good luck

#14 ·
Hello,
Here is some news regarding my problem. The seller also cannot update the navigation. While reading the forum, I saw that a crc jaguar employee named Dan had managed to make the declaration manually in the jaguar.here.com database. And after all had been unlocked.
No one can unblock me on the subject?
For your information, my car has been immobilized at jaguar for more than 3 weeks to correct the problem, but it cannot. It's a real pain .....

#15 ·
Same problem here. I have wasted one hour of my life trying to register myself as a 2nd user on our car. Why have a section for hubby to invite me to register, but then it seems we can only have our vehicle linked to the one account?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.