Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

New Car - Head up display

19K views 67 replies 28 participants last post by  Delta5 
#1 ·
I've just been informed that my new i-pace will know not come with Head Up Display due to chip shortages. There was no real explanation and zero discussion. All my dealer could tell me was that all new i-paces's will now not come with HUD for the foreseeable future and there's no idea if it will return at all. I asked if i delayed my order would that make a difference but it appears not as they are stating 12 months lead time for delivery on new orders and they will not be ordered with HUD. I'm so disappointed with Jaguar over this but I get the feeling they don't care.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear of your bad news, HUD is a great to have feature on any car.
In terms of JLR not caring, I share your sentiment as little to nothing has been done to improve BMS to allow for faster charging on MY19/20 models despite many complaints and not delivering as advertised/promised.

#3 ·
That sucks. The HUD isn't a deal-breaker for many people, but I really like it. However JLR are in the same boat as everyone else with regards the chip shortages. It's amazing they're producing any cars at all...

I managed to get a PS5 at launch; little did I realise they'd be rarer than hen's teeth 10 months later!

#4 ·
HUD could be a great idea and great feature, if you find useful info on it. Unless the HUD displays the GOM, battery SOC, distance of the trip, real time consumption, etc… all value that are important for an EV, this HUD is completely useless for me. I don't even notice it now. This HUD is designed for an ICE car, not an EV.

#5 ·
All I rely on is the car speed, current speed limit and satnav directions. But I admit it would be nice if there were more options to customise it to each drivers' needs. And some of this could be added in a software update, I'm sure.

Reactions: Jim55
#6 ·
As a matter of comparison a friend of mine is in corporate sales for a BMW dealer and they are getting cars in that have options missing despite them being ordered. there is no warning and customers are be told to take the car regardless - At the moment its easy to sell the car to someone else if the customer doesn't want it and it all relates to the chip shortages.

#7 ·
There are 2 questions here

1. Are you prepared to accept it without HUD? If not then you have your a clear course of action
2. If you are prepared to accept without HUD you need to quantify a price reduction for not having it. If there is any options list which shows the cost of HUD separately (as I think the S and SE have the option) then that would be the value I would work with

Taking delivery of the car without a price reduction should not be an option you would consider. This is simple breach of contract and the only question is about what remedy you will progress,

#8 ·
Good and important point of Electric beagle.

There shouldn't be any discussion with getting a refund on a not delivered option, to my knowledge is HUD an option on all trim levels, I believe in NL it was a €690 option in 2018.
If it was standard on your trim level you should get an equivalent (and maybe a bit more for compensation) refunded.

#9 ·
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Good and important point of Electric beagle.

There shouldn't be any discussion with getting a refund on a not delivered option, to my knowledge is HUD an option on all trim levels, I believe in NL it was a €690 option in 2018.
If it was standard on your trim level you should get an equivalent (and maybe a bit more for compensation) refunded.
Was bundled with HSE in MY21 not sure about MY22. The option cost on other models would still be what I would work with though as I did with Steering and Park Assist.

#10 ·
I completely understand the problems car makers (and others) are having because of the global chip shortage but its that they haven't even discussed possible solutions. Ive agreed to a price and they say they wont deliver the car i ordered and it seems if i don't like it then tough. I did ask the question of what next. Will they take out half the batteries next because they're short of those as well?

#11 ·
richardblayney said:
I completely understand the problems car makers (and others) are having because of the global chip shortage but its that they haven't even discussed possible solutions. Ive agreed to a price and they say they wont deliver the car i ordered and it seems if i don't like it then tough. I did ask the question of what next. Will they take out half the batteries next because they're short of those as well?
I think you need to go back to the with an ask rather than expect them to proactively suggest options, that was how a few of us found the steer/park assit issue last year.

That should be of the order of reduce the price by £x or I will not take the car.

#13 ·
NeilR said:
electric beagle said:
That should be of the order of reduce the price by £x or I will not take the car.
As you wish, Sir. We will keep your deposit and sell your car onto someone else who wants one without a lead time.
Not that simple they have a contract to supply what was ordered. There is loss to the purchaser if they take delivery or they don't which is legally enforceable. The buyer cannot compel JLR to supply something they simply cannot but it does not mean that JLR get a free pass

Either way the OP is due a settlement, the only question is how much. It's easier to quantify the loss of HUD (as it has an option cost). The cost of having to cancel and wait for a new car from another supplier is harder to quantify but a valid claim.

Consumer law is very much on the side of the buyer. If you are easily fobbed off though you will get sweet FA.

#57 ·
Either way the OP is due a settlement, the only question is how much. It's easier to quantify the loss of HUD (as it has an option cost). The cost of having to cancel and wait for a new car from another supplier is harder to quantify but a valid claim.

Consumer law is very much on the side of the buyer. If you are easily fobbed off though you will get sweet FA.
Not that simple they have a contract to supply what was ordered. There is loss to the purchaser if they take delivery or they don't which is legally enforceable. The buyer cannot compel JLR to supply something they simply cannot but it does not mean that JLR get a free pass.

This is not the case. The small print on the order / contract clearly states that Jagaur reserve the right to change the spec on any car without notice. Yes they are not able to supply the car as ordered but there is no legally binding recourse to the prospective purchaser.
I agree that there should be compensation from Jaguar but they have well and truly covered themselves here and actually need to offer nothing (Other than a refund to the customer of any deposit paid).

We had the same with an EQC Premium Plus we had ordered which had around £3k of options taken off it because of the chip shortage (Wireless Charging, Augmented Sat Nav, Energising Comfort & Burmester Sound System). Mercedes wouldn’t even consider a reduction of the price of the car...not one penny. They were offering customers a £250 John Lewis voucher and said take it or leave it. Mercedes weren’t bothered, they knew they would easily sell the car elsewhere as demand currently far outstrips supply. We cancelled the order and have since placed an order for the iPace.

#14 ·
It is indeed tough but if JLR cannot get the necessary components due to COVID/brexit/catastrophic climate change then the choice is take delivery (with a price reduction) or cancel the order. Simple, and no amount of weasel words will alter anything.

PS feeling a little crabby today due to my visit to London being disrupted by those deluded arses in Extinction Rebellion disrupting travel - and I was using public transport!

#15 ·
electric beagle said:
Not that simple they have a contract to supply what was ordered. There is loss to the purchaser if they take delivery or they don't which is legally enforceable. The buyer cannot compel JLR to supply something they simply cannot but it does not mean that JLR get a free pass
Almost all contracts have a "force majeure" clause and in this case, JLR might legitimately ascertain that the pandemic causing the shortages is actually force majeure.

So, unless someone wants to go to court, pay all the expenses and probably lose, I'm afraid that in this case they might actually get a free pass.

And to be honest, all manufacturers are facing similar issues. It's certainly a bummer, but in this one case it's not JLR's fault.

#16 ·
symos said:
electric beagle said:
Almost all contracts have a "force majeure" clause and in this case, JLR might legitimately ascertain that the pandemic causing the shortages is actually force majeure.

So, unless someone wants to go to court, pay all the expenses and probably lose, I'm afraid that in this case they might actually get a free pass.

And to be honest, all manufacturers are facing similar issues. It's certainly a bummer, but in this one case it's not JLR's fault.
Quite straightforward to file a moneyclaim online and cheap. Appearing in the county court is easy and a big hurdle for the dealer as you can force them to appear in your local county court if it gets that far and the odds are it won't.

Force Majeure/Frustration constrains the nature of the remedy not whether a remedy is applicable. It's clearly unreasonable (and at odds with unfair terms parts of the consumer rights act) to insist a customer shoulder a loss (i.e. suck up missing features at the same price) due to non performance of a seller. Especially when said seller has saved money (because they did not need to pay for components not included on a car).

There is then the question of when did the vendor become aware of the issue and when did they communicate to the customer? What other options did they consider (from sourcing a stock built car with the right build to discounts, delayed delivery etc).

To simply defend a claim will cause the dealer to rack up costs so a court summons is liable to provoke a more reasonable offer

But you could also be a sucker and give up before you start and accept unenforceable contract terms. That's all individual choice.

Reactions: Aurora Blue
#18 ·
Ksarul said:
I heard exactly the same from my dealer today Richard. 12 months (at least) for a car with HUD. Jaguar need to update the pathetic chip shortage message they put on their web site. I am so disappointed. Oh well, I will move on.
When did you order and when was your delivery scheduled out of curiosity?

#20 ·
Ksarul said:
I ordered on 30th July and it was scheduled for early January.
To be fair then that is quite shortly after placing the order? Are they offering a full deposit refund if you want it? Or any reduction if you take the car?

#23 ·
Sorry to hear - hope you have better luck at other BEV makers.
There are some very interesting new BEV's that have come to market or will do so shortly.

#24 ·
Thought I would pass on my HUD experience. I ordered a MY22 HSE (so HUD part of standard spec) mid-August with a delivery date 30th December. Last week dealership called and informed me that Jaguar cannot supply vehicle with HUD due to part shortages. Given all that I have read in the press and forums, I was not too surprised. My option was to cancel order and receive my deposit refunded or accept vehicle without HUD with revised delivery of mid-October. After a few words, dealership offered to reduce the vehicle price by the HUD option cost shown for other models.

Given the general uncertainties of manufacturers ability to deliver new vehicles, the reduction in cost and early delivery date I went with this. So, Santorini Black HSE with secure tracker, park assist pack, 3D surround camera, ClearSight mirror, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass and fog lamps now due mid-October.

#25 ·
2Badgers said:
Thought I would pass on my HUD experience. I ordered a MY22 HSE (so HUD part of standard spec) mid-August with a delivery date 30th December. Last week dealership called and informed me that Jaguar cannot supply vehicle with HUD due to part shortages. Given all that I have read in the press and forums, I was not too surprised. My option was to cancel order and receive my deposit refunded or accept vehicle without HUD with revised delivery of mid-October. After a few words, dealership offered to reduce the vehicle price by the HUD option cost shown for other models.

Given the general uncertainties of manufacturers ability to deliver new vehicles, the reduction in cost and early delivery date I went with this. So, Santorini Black HSE with secure tracker, park assist pack, 3D surround camera, ClearSight mirror, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass and fog lamps now due mid-October.
Is Park assist now back?

In fairness I find the HUD of very marginal benefit, some think it is essential, I think it is sometimes helpful mainly for the Nav if you use the built in Nav. It does however lack some functionality that would make it much more essential (e.g. Battery Charge %, Speed camera warnings etc). You would expect that price reduction offer to be made proactively.

Your only issue may come upon resale in that other models of a similar age with HUD will look a little more attractive but any additional resale value is likely to be dwarfed by the upfront saving.

#26 ·
2Badgers said:

Having had my car for 2 1/2 years, on reflection[sic], I would not option Fog Lights any more. The Matrix LEDs are outstanding. Try to contain your excitement but enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.