Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being teased by pictures from the dealer for the past week, this beauty was handed over this afternoon.

I have only had chance to drive it home so far, but my first impressions are very positive. As far as I am concerned, it drives like a Jaaaag !

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thats outrageous, they should have to sell it you as a demo after all those people pawing it and sitting in it. Just doesn't sound right if its your order its yours and they need to hand it over. Sounds like they're just trying it on, call their bluff I say!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I agree. There is no way I'd let them away with that. So your brand new car will have had countless strangers and their sticky-fingered kids in it? I do not believe for a second that Jag "instructed" them not to release your car because they don't have a demo. They're chancers. Threaten them and also contact JLR directly using the most senior person that you can find an email address for (business reports are often a good method for getting these).

If it was me I'd want to cancel. But then you go back to the end of the queue. But I probably would do it. Cancel and order through a reputable business. And I'd make my experience as public as possible. That's an appalling way to treat a customer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two different I-Paces. Mine in the OP was photographed in the dealership as I was collecting it a few weeks ago.

Cornishblue's is the one the dealer is holding onto. Assuming that that one is an "ex demo", my local dealer is doing something similar. They have sold their blue demonstrator (at a discount) to a customer with his agreement that they can continue using it until their replacement arrives. The alternative was to order a brand new one, pay full price and not get it any sooner.

If it has been done by mutual agreement, I don't see anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to the dealership, if they release the car before getting a replacement they would be heavily fined by JLR. I only hav3 their word for that. I placed my order in the knowledge the car could not be released until a replacement is found. It does concern me that the car is sat in the showroom for others to climb all over it, but I do like the spec, and had hoped JLR would provide them with a replacement sooner than if I had to order a new one, especially as it's a First Edition. Cancelling the order has crossed my mind. I have been away for a couple of weeks, so I will be calling the dealership next week.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess someone in the trade will know more, but isn't there some minimum period (eg 3/4/6 months or something) for which a dealer is obliged to keep a demo car in order to comply with the accounting regulations re tax relief etc and irrespective of when a replacement might be available?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am in the same position, waiting for the dealership to receive a new showroom car so that they can release my car.
I think you will find that all dealers are required by JLR to keep a car on display in the showroom at all times (it's quite common in franchise dealerships, particularly with a major new model like ipace).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts