Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about the new innovation where the ipace makes what sounds like a truly horrible noise as a warning to pedestrians there's some stuff on the web very alarmingly this cannot be switched off or apparently altered it really does make you wonder about cancelling the order

·
Registered
528 Posts
what do you mean by "new innovation" and "some stuff on the web".
If you have really placed an order then maybe you should first talk to your dealer if there is something you're unhappy about - I'm sure they will give you "some facts"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Feldmm said:
Has anyone heard about the new innovation where the ipace makes what sounds like a truly horrible noise as a warning to pedestrians there's some stuff on the web very alarmingly this cannot be switched off or apparently altered it really does make you wonder about cancelling the order
RTFM

-------
ACOUSTIC VEHICLE ALERT SYSTEM (AVAS)

The Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) automatically emits an external synthesized sound to enable pedestrians to be audibly aware of the vehicle's presence. AVAS only operates when the vehicle is driven at speeds of less than 20 km/h (12 mph). If the vehicle detects an AVAS system fault, the instrument panel displays a warning message. If the fault persists, consult a retailer/authorised repairer.

-------
Now watch this

Now STFU

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
johnd said:
Isn't it just up to 10-12mph and rumoured to be inaudible from inside the car?
Yeah so to avoid pissing off your neighbours - minimal speed through residential areas is 25m/15miles per hour. Driving to your home and onto your drive way will require to wait with braking till the very last moment to drastically reduce the period that this awful sound is being produced, once parked of course immediately switch off the engine as the sound continues when standing still.

PS: Above is not meant as a serious suggestion :lol:

In reality - I couldn't care less as from the inside the car you do not hear this noise - it is only all those outside in the vicinity of a slow driving I-pace that hear the noise. Might be the reason why some of the lucky folks that already have their car see so many folks turning their head towards the I-pace. Sadly it could be because of the odd sound rather than the brilliant looks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had 2 test drives and barely noticed a noise , in fact only when reversing did it seem to have an impact , and only if you strained your ears
as someone that nearly got hit by a Prius , I can say its well worth having this warning sound

G

·
Feldmm said:
Yeah it called "Regualtuon" ..... and Jag and being pro-active by activating it before legally required.

Maybe you need to think of others less fortunate than yourself ...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
They recently announced they are going to change the noise, as it was causing pedestrians to look up at the sky, rather than look around for a car. There will be a noise (as there needs to be) but it won't be the spaceship noise any longer. I assume all cars will be updated with an OTA patch once the new sound is finalised.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Tophe74 said:
In my FE their is only a noise when going backward but not forward.
Same here - actually my wife stepped out to check and indeed completely quiet when driving off forwards

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Tophe74 said:
In my FE their is only a noise when going backward but not forward.
Same here - actually my wife stepped out to check and indeed completely quiet when driving off forwards
Ditto.

Despite Jaguar making a film clip extolling the virtue of its low speed noise emission as a safety feature:

they seem to have decided not to proceed with it, finding that it could cause people to be at greater risk because of being distracted:

https://www.hotcars.com/jaguar-drop-safety-feature-distract-drivers/

If so, it seems odd that Jaguar has not deleted the clip. But then it's also odd that the AVAS feature is not operative on our I-Paces (except when reversing).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anybody know how to turn off the synthetic acceleration noise inside the cabin? I have a road test tonight and want to be sure this thing is off.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guy said:
Anybody know how to turn off the synthetic acceleration noise inside the cabin? I have a road test tonight and want to be sure this thing is off.

Thanks,
It is accessed from the settings icon on the upper touch-screen. Then select "All Settings" and then "Features" and finally "Active Sound Design"

I'm not sure whether you can completely turn it off. It seems to have three possible settings - Calm, Normal and Dynamic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got a proper telling off from a local resident on the first day of the owning the IPACE. "I hope there's a noise on that car to alert pedestrians. It is very dangerous if not" and they just walked off. Can't win. Shame they removed the forward noise alert.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts