Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Β·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

The CANBUS of the I-Pace produces masses of fascinating information. This info is readable via the On Board Diagnostics port.
OBD-II adapters are cheap and provide masses of real-time information in the form of Parameter IDs (PID).
Mobile Apps exist that can display what is read from the OBD-II adapter. The troubles is that the apps need to know what the information actually represents.

I see on this forum an impressive amount of activity around PIDs, all in an effort to discovered what information they contain. I mean, impressive, how people are identifying the results, linking them to complex calculations and capturing their actual meaning.
It seems that the car knows how many AC charging it has done, ever, how many DC sessions, the current temperature in the ventilation duct to the passenger legs etc. Pretty much anything one could think off...

Kermit68 and ANBO and Dernotte and iomagico and Maxwell400 and many others sprinkled information here and there, which is much appreciated. There are more than 1000 posts on this!
But a lot of this work seems to go to waste for a large part of our population - including myself.

Now, making that wealth of info usable to us, commoners, should not be terribly complex :cool:

If I assume that Torque Pro is the target application of choice, then ideally we would have:
  • 2 downloadable lists of PID definitions in a format that can be imported in Torque Pro (one each for MY19-20 and one for MY21)
  • a very brief explanation of how to import this list
  • perhaps some examples of Torque Pro dashboards

With that information, all us commoners could display the info of our choosing...
Worthwhile?

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi Grunt,

Loading to Torque Pro is easy and happy to write up instructions here.

Just posted a file for MY18-MY20 with of the key PIDs for ABRP, and a few extra. There are some nuances with MY21 and some differences in assumptions between the "investigators", so a work in progress. Guess if we can align on the assumption we can post here 2 files, V1.0 😁

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
- Download the file and unzip
Note: opening CSV in excel will break some of the content. I can share instructions later on using excel correctly to edit.

- Locate Torque Pro app ExtendedPids folder
Font Gadget Screenshot Software Electronic device

- Copy CSV file to folder
Communication Device Mobile device Font Screenshot Electronic device

- Open Torque Pro
- Open Settings
Automotive tire Font Screenshot Automotive lighting Multimedia

- Select Manage extra PIDs
Font Slope Rectangle Parallel Terrestrial plant

- Select Add predefined set
Automotive tire Sleeve Font Rectangle Circle

- Select appropriate set
Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Number Screenshot

- Set loaded. Use back-key to return to main
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Multimedia Number

- Settings - Add display
Sky Font Vehicle Technology Cloud

- Select desired display type
Font Screenshot Multimedia Software Terrestrial plant

- Place and adjust as desired
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Attachments

Β·
Registered
486 Posts
Grunt said:
Hi all!

The CANBUS of the I-Pace produces masses of fascinating information. This info is readable via the On Board Diagnostics port.
OBD-II adapters are cheap and provide masses of real-time information in the form of Parameter IDs (PID).
One small precision here.
Unlike other cars (maybe this is common for other high end luxury car), the IPace does not expose anything on the OBD2 port, every information (PID) needs to be fetched individually. The real internal CAN bus is hidden behind the gateway module. Whenever to request a PID on the OBD2 port, in fact, you send that request to the gateway module, the gateway module send it to the appropriate module, get the value back, and then send back that info on the OBD2 port (act as a proxy). That's why it is so complex to discover ECU and PID on the Ipace, as compare to other car where you only have to "listen" the the chatty OBD2 port.

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
dernotte said:
That's why it is so complex to discover ECU and PID on the Ipace.
You have made it look too easy Dernotte 😁

Β·
Registered
541 Posts
Grunt said:
Hi all!

But a lot of this work seems to go to waste for a large part of our population - including myself.

Now, making that wealth of info usable to us, commoners, should not be terribly complex :cool:

With that information, all us commoners could display the info of our choosing...
Worthwhile?
It may still be a hurdle for "commoners" as there is an overwhelming number of pids and equations floating around. If we set up a simple list and dashboard for Torque Pro, what kind of information do you want to see ?

On my dashboard I have;
Main displays;
- Power in/out of battery
- Battery voltage
- Average battery temperature
- Average battery SOC
- Minimum cell voltage
- Maximum cell voltage

Smaller displays;
- average state of health
- battery current
- max available charge power
- max available discharge power
- interior temperature

I log a lot more pids to do post analysis.

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
Maxwell_400 said:
If we set up a simple list and dashboard for Torque Pro, what kind of information do you want to see ?

Hi, in the technical section I posted this file, which can be loaded. It works for me, but wanted feedback from the team first.

Happy for you to use this v0.9:
https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4436&start=10#p62357

Think there is a way to save the dashboard as a template as well, which can be shared to ensure the CSV and Display aligns, helping with adoption.

Β·
Registered
541 Posts
ANBO said:
Maxwell_400 said:
If we set up a simple list and dashboard for Torque Pro, what kind of information do you want to see ?

Hi, in the technical section I posted this file, which can be loaded. It works for me, but wanted feedback from the team first.

Happy for you to use this v0.9:
https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4436&start=10#p62357

Think there is a way to save the dashboard as a template as well, which can be shared to ensure the CSV and Display aligns, helping with adoption.
Yes, the dashboard can be saved as well. For Iphone, the leading ones are afaik Car Scanner and DashCommand but they are not as versatile as Torque Pro.

So the question to the community is then, what information do you want on the screen?

Or @dernotte can sell his terminal solution. :)

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
This is a dashboard layout that aligns with the CSV I linked earlier:
I-Pace EV400.zip (new version available)

This is android. Not sure if it works on IPhone.

- unzip the file and copy it to the dashboard folder
Font Darkness Circle Brand Graphics

- Open dashboard settings - layout settings
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Darkness

- Select Import layout
Car Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

You should be up and running and adapt to your liking.

Attachments

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
Data logging.

- Open Settings from main screen
Font Screenshot Technology Logo Multimedia

- Select: Data Logging & Upload
Font Rectangle Terrestrial plant Darkness Parallel

- Set the tick boxes, recommended as shown (GPS is optional)
- Select: Select what to log
Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Software

- From menu: Select what to log

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Parallel

- tick all you want to log.
- selecting a lot of PIDs will increase the interval between a full sweep.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology Software

After a drive:
- Open Settings from dashboard screen
- Select: Email logs
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Multimedia Software

- Select the log of interest
Font Screenshot Rectangle Terrestrial plant Multimedia

- Select CSV
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Light

You can now save or send like you would otherwise. I save to OneDrive, so I can open it in Excel on my PC without further steps.

Attachments

Β·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woooo! It is Christmas!
πŸ˜πŸ˜€πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Thank you all very very much!

Thanks to Kermit68, some while ago I managed to get started with Torque Pro. But then I saw a screenshot from ANBO... My achievement looked pitiful in comparison 😁, so much more can be done.

Now I can go to work. Wonderful!

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome Grunt. Let me know if you need some additional help.

Feedback on how the readouts work for you is appreciated as well. As Dernotte mentioned, not everything is straight forward. Some PIDs are equations based on data collection or a visual verification on my car, and no saying if this gives the same results in different vehicles.

Good examples are:
* SOC (kWh): an equation that corrects SOCavg to a value between 0-100%. For me this aligns as close as possible with the display SOC (over the last few weeks). Not sure if this continues to hold between cold April and summer temperatures.
* Capacity (kWh): I calculated based on SOHavg and SOCdisplay relative to 86.2kWh. I think that is a fair assumption. Taking SOCavg instead 90.2kWh would also be an option, but it does not go to 0%, and an assumption to adjust would be needed either way. Neither you willbe able to match this with Wattcat e.g. We (I.e. Dernotte) have not found this PID reading.
* Range T: I put all Jaguar's temperature-range calculatiins in a graph an matched with my long range trip efficiency data and outside temperatures, and chosen the Avg. battery temperature as the baseline. Obviously driving styles will influence, but for long highway trips or those short shopping runs with a cold battery, I think this gives a realistic idea about range.

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi,

Christmas 1.0: I-Pace 2019 EV400 v1.0.zip (new version available)

Kermit68 reminded me HUD is an option, and hence not every car may get readings on the 2 PIDs I linked to that mode. This is fixed now.

Also fixed an naming error causing the Trip Range to stay at 0.

Formula for Range T is updated. It was too pessimistic. It aligns closely now with the 18" combined range model on the Jaguar site. This matches OK with my average winter and summer (20") measurements. I believe I have seen similar feedback on the forum. That said, it is still a GOM, but starting at a more realistic value than the car when it is at 100% SOC. You will find that the car will catch up with the calculations at around 80% SOC.

Have fun.

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
Just wondering if there is any feedback on the files? Is this working for you?

Β·
Registered
7 Posts
ANBO said:
Just wondering if there is any feedback on the files? Is this working for you?
Hello @ANBO, my car is in the dealer right now due to 12v battery issue. I was using previous 0.9 version you posted, with torque pro, I didnt notice any problem but didn't test all variables. I really wish able to connect my 2019 first edition to ABRP. I dont know when I get my car but will update when I get it. And thanks for your efforts.

Β·
Registered
313 Posts
evanblack00 said:
I really wish able to connect my 2019 first edition to ABRP.
Thanks for the feedback. Please do let me know your findings particularly on the PIDs marked #, as those are needed for ABRP.

Version 1.0 is submitted to ABRP.

Β·
Registered
541 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts