Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to EV's and am expecting delivery in April 2019. I am trying to learn about home charging options and am interested in the package offered by Octopus which includes a programmable home charger from Zappi. And green energy provision as an option. I would appreciate comments and advice.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The Octopus and Zappi partnership looks on the face of it to be well worth considering, I am also looking into it myself ready for delivery of my I Pace next year. The Zappi is a great piece of kit, but I am not totally sure how it can be set up to take advantage of the Octopus cheap tariff, ca, £0.05p Kwh overnight. Also, I don't have solar or wind power to take advantage of many of the Zappi features, so cost of the Zappi etc just to utilize the Octopus cheap over night tarrif has to be borne in mind.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has this set up, or anyone who has a Zappi with or without solar or wind power elements and advise if indeed it is possible to set charging periods directly through the Zappi itself rather than via the car. I also hear that Zappi are now offering a wifi enabled unit?

G

·
I have a largish solar installation (7.8kW peak) and am having a Zappi installed next week (but i Pace won't arrive until March); the user manual suggests that the Zappi can be set to charge at any chosen period including setting the charge window during off-peak, in my case Ecotricity midnight to 7am. I also see that the Zappi can detect off-peak tariff with an additional sensor. I will post what in reality the Zappi allows when I get the car... BTW the manual is at: https://myenergi.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/zappi-manual-v1.2.pdf

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks slowlane for the info and manual, would be good to hear how things go when you are up and running.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm due to have the Zappi installed next week although my Ipace isn't due untill March. Not done via Octopus but went for the Zappi as i believe it has some good features that I can add to it.

I'm expecting by adding the CT clamp I can set it to reduce charging draw if the overall mains supply draw rises too high. Set charging periods to coincide with off peak and use a mobile app with the device. My garage where the Zappi will be mounted is remote from the house so might need to get creative with the location of the "harvi" unit that will be addes to wirelessly transmit the data from the CT clamp to the Zappi. Both the Harvi and the unit to allow connection via a remote app are additional to the cost of the unit. There is a new model due out that does not have a fixed cable and has some new internal protection features. Not sure if using that new unit will be mandatory in January or not but it's much more expensive and does not include a cable.

I don't have solar but like the idea of having a more intelligent charger especially if I can intoregate it remotely.
I'll have a good play with it when I get it.

http://myenergi.uk

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Good to hear DaveR, would welcome any feedback once you get your Zappi installed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've just switched to Octopus as my energy supplier. Their EV tariff charges 5p/kWh after midnight for a period of 4 hrs which is long enough for me top up the car from that days commute. I've been happy with Octopus but not happy with the company they use for the Zappi charger. After expressing interest in the Zappi I had a phone call that evening from them. I sent images of my layout as it was not going to be a straight forward installation. Despite contacting them multiple times I hear nothing from them until an estimate appears for an installation which suits them but not me. They also charge £379 after you receive the OLEV grant and other Zappi installers charge less.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All,

I have 2x Zappi's installed - both My wife and I are EV drivers. We have 4.5kw Solar array.

Basically we chose Zappi's because they have auto load sensing / balancing. So if the load on the house should throttle up (we have power showers) the Zappi's see that and throttle back the charge to cars while the load is high.

The units are programmed to (Eco+) mode with additional timed boost. This means you just plug in the charger. If the Solar array generates 1.4kw or more than the house is utilising it sends this to my wife's car as a "trickle charge" all day long. The house has PV controller that diverts to Hot water then to EV (via Eddi controller).

The user can set a "minimum renewable" limit on Eco+ mode (I have mine set to 100%) which means it will only charge from 100% spare solar... if I set that to say 50% it would charge the car with a maximum of 700wh from grid and match that with 700wh from Solar etc. You can trick around with these settings to suit your needs.

The timed boost is a simple charge timer - mine kicks in at start of night tariff and I run it for 7 hours. This ensures that the cars are topped up over night from the grid. If one of cars is expected to remain at the house the next day we would often cancel one of the cars boost timer - leaving extra capacity in the battery to scavenge more solar to the battery the next day.

I have only had them for a few months - but with solar array and an Eddi the eco system is fantastic. You can "boost charge" and over ride the Eco settings at the charger if you need to "charge now!" It is fairly easy to understand & operate. The Zappi controls mean the car is doing none of the charge management and is a dumb terminal in the system.

Reliability of the software & control is excellent (so far) but we haven't had it long enough to say its very robust... needs another 6 months of use before i would give it a unreserved thumbs up. But so far I love them & my wife loves the simplicity of the setup. Hope that helps?

Note: no app yet! They have me on the first wait list for the new bridge (internet bridge to the Eddi controller) but not 100% certain the forthcoming app will pass on control / programming to the Zappi / I imagine it will - but until I see it I kind of rule it all vapourware 😳

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That's great information and news Grifmike and sounds to be working very well for you. Would you recommend a Zappi then for those of us who do not have Solar and/or wind energy to make use off? if only for timings of charging to take advantage of cheap overnight electricity tariffs etc rather than rely on the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Zappi charger too and it is interesting when both car and chargepoint want to manage the charging times and amounts!

At present I have opted to use the Zappi Eco mode as this can be set to Boost during off-peak times (ie provide up to full 7kW rate) and yet allows the vehicle to draw up to 1.4kW at other times (and more if the PV solar is generating excess energy). This means that the car can do major battery charging off-peak but still have some power when pre-conditioning.

Once the I-Pace preferred charging time works then the car and chargepoint should work in full harmony?! (The car can then delay start of main charge until the off-peak time, when it will find the ZAPPI willing to give full 7kW). At present setting the preferred charging time does not seem to have any effect. Has anyone else found this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts